Photography buffs?

erogenousjones17

I got my first DSLR - a Canon Rebel - a few months ago, and I'm really starting to get into the whole photography thing. I've taken a few evening classes and whatnot, and am still having fun with my new toy, even though it seems my pictures tend to range from "suck" to "meh".  :laughing7:

Anyone out there interested in photography? What sort of gear do you folks have? Favourite subjects, etc.? Any tips for a newb?

There is one simple set of knowledge that you need to grasp to use ANY camera, and once you learn the basics, your pictures will improve greatly. Most new camera users butch and moan about how this set of knowledge is not necessary with new electronic cameras . . . that they bought that fancy DSLR so that it could do all this for them, but that's a recipe for mediocre pictures, so here goes . . . learn this:

1. Aperture, or F-Stop. This is a hole inside your lens, usually somewhere in-between a bunch of complicated pieces of glass. You can make this hole bigger or smaller. Bigger hole = more light hits the photosensitive backboard . . . smaller hole = less light. On your lens (or in-camera sometimes), the size of the hole is communicated in numbers. IMPORTANT!!!! These numbers represent the bottom part of a fraction, so f2.8 is basically 1/2.8. f22 is 1/22. This confuses the heck out of new photographers, because BIGGER (f22 for example) numbers actually indicate a SMALLER aperture "hole", and therefore less light.

2. Shutter speed refers to the shutter, a "door" that opens to let in the light all the way to the photosensitive backboard when you press the trigger. When you set shutter speed, you are controlling the length of time the shutter will remain open before closing again. IF you think about it, as it is open longer, it is letting in more and more light. Now . . . shutter speeds are ALSO SET IN FRACTIONS!!!! So a shutter speed setting of 500 is actually 1/500, representing the 1/500th of a second that the shutter will be open. So again with shutter speed, BIGGER (500 for example) shutter speeds indicate SHORTER shutter times. One important thing about shutter speed: for handheld photography (not a tripod), the shutter speed should be almost as "fast" as the lens focal length you are using in order to avoid blur from hand shaking. So if I have a 50mm on my camera, I should use a 1/60th shutter speed or faster (in fact, much below 1/60th for handheld on wider lenses will blur as well.)

3. Shutter speed and Aperture must be adjusted inversely to maintain proper exposure (amount of light). Too much light and your photo will be too white, and brighter detail will be lost. Too little and it will be dark. Your camera should have an indicator of some sort to let you know what its exposure meter (think "light police") thinks of your current exposure. once you get the exposure close to acceptable according to the exposure meter, you can vary your aperture and shutter speeds inversely per your desired effect. Shutter speed effects your ability to freeze or blur motion (if it is open longer, fast motion will be capture dover that longer time period and will appear blurry. If it is open for a very short period of time, motion can be frozen or stopped with out blur.) Aperture changes your depth of field, AKA how much is in focus and how out of focus other stuff is. A bigger aperture opening causes much more blur in out-of focus areas. These two variables of shutter and aperture work inversely, so if you shorten the shutter speed by one step, you should open the aperture by one stop to keep exposure correct. Most of the time, you will be focusing on one or the other. If you are shooting sports, stopping motion is a must. If you are taking portraits, shallow Depth of Field is a must. in that case, set the important setting accordingly, then change the other variable to expose correctly. This is where the "S" and "A" modes on your camera dial come in handy. with "S", you set the shutter, and the camera sets the aperture for you. with "A" the opposite happens. I often prefer full manual, because it lets me fudge the settings slightly under or over exposure.

4. Notes

The other exposure factor is ISO, or ASA, or Film Speed (all the same thing). With a film camera, this indicates how sensitive the film is to light, with lower ISO being less sensitive, and higher ISO being more sensitive. On a digital camera, however, this is all done with processing. YOu should research good ISO settings for your camera model, as there are usually certain ISOs that are better. On other thing is the white balance (think color adjustment). Auto often works just fine for this, or the settings for different light sources (sun, tungsten, fluorescent, etc.) if you want to get fancy.

Also available are these filters called Neutral Density filters. essentially, they are tinted in order to reduce the amount of light entering the lens (here we are back on light again . . . surprise!) I personally use one of these that is actually variable (you rotate it for more or less tint) . . . because I do filmmaking, in which the shutter speed must be set specifically based on the frame-rate. This means that all I have left for controlling light is the aperture (which sometimes I want wide open) and ISO (which is constrained to the "good" settings). The filter gives me one more way to control light. They are expensive, but I find myself using it a lot, even for stills. It is nice having a big physical ring that I just grab and turn to change my light intake. It speeds things up a bit.

I BEG you, force yourself to use ONLY the manual setting on your dial until it feels natural to be adjusting shutter speed, aperture and ISO. Pay attention to the light meter, and adjust accordingly. Be thinking about the effects of your settings: are you stopping motion? blurring motion? Depth of Field? Once it feels natural and your mind is wrapped around what the shutter and aperture do . . . once it is instinctual, then star  to think about using the "S" and "A" settings, and think more about ISO and white balance. Trust me, all those other dial settings are just bad automatic variants on "S" and "A" where you have too little control and too much is left up to the camera for you to get consistently good pictures.

As far as advice, I say buy a good 50mm equivalent prime lens that has a fast aperture. The lens that comes with your camera is guaranteed to be meh. Hock it off and get a better zoom if you must have a zoom, but primes will be better quality in general. Avoid unnecessary equipment like flashes, lights, etc. They're just going to mess with your light and your mind.

Im a better photographer than guitar player and have some tips I could share.  I use a Nikon d7000 w/ battery grip, it makes the camera feel like a pro body.  In my opinion, lenses matter way more than the type of body you have, so start buying some good glass if you can afford it.  Cheaping out on lenses will only hurt you in the long run when you decide to buy good glass and it will limit your creativity.  I have a general purpose sigma 17-70 f2.8-4, a 50,, f1.8, a 35mm f1.8, and a 70-200mm f2.8.  I would recommend a 50mm f1.8 lens as a low light/portrait type lens, mine is probably one of my favorite lenses and it's a great lens to fall back on if I can't bring the rest of mine as it's light and small.  A fixed focal length lens is great to learn on as there is less to think about.  Also, LEARN YOUR MANUAL SETTINGS.  I cannot stress that enough.  Try watching some youtube videos on how to get out of shooting in auto and how to use shutter, aperture, and manual modes in conjunction with ISO control.  I would also recommend setting your camera to RAW instead of shooting jpegs, because it makes it much easier to edit the files in your preferred program in raw, then you can export them as jpegs later.   I like to shoot mainly HDR photography, if you're not sure what that is check out Stuck In Customs, it's a photography blog and there is a tutorial there, maybe you'll like it.  If you ever have a question feel free to PM me.  Good luck!   :)

+1 for shooting in RAW and also for focusing more on lenses than camera body. You really should have either the 50mm or 35mm, depending on if your camera is a full-frame or crop-sensor (APS-C). Either way, you want a 50mm equivalent, or effective lens for your camera. (50mm on a full frame is most similar to the viewing properties of the human eye, and hence these pictures feel very natural.)

I have a Sony Cybershot (obviously not DSLR). I generally find the best results with ISO.  My wife doesn't like it as she tends to move her whole hand instead of just the finger when taking pictures, so hers are almost always blurry and at a very slight angle.
I'm clearly not a good coach because I can't get her to correct this behavior.
I pine for a manual focus camera, but I've many other things to fund first.

Wow, thanks guys! I'm definitely all about the Manual mode--that's the whole reason I got a DSLR in the first place: I was tired of my dinky point-and-shoot camera deciding for me and making crappy decisions.  :laughing7:

I've got a basic understanding of things like f-stop, shutter speed and the like, but there's still a lot of trial and error in my picture taking. It really is interesting to mess around with various settings and see what a difference they can make. Actually, toying with the ISO and WB on my middling compact was what got me into the whole Manual thing--they're about the only thing you can adjust, but they have a huge effect on the pictures you take.

So I've been taking a lot of pictures of my guitars, my feet, my girlfriend (not that kind of picture you perverts :laughing7:), cars in the street, dust bunnies on the floor, you name it. The lens that came with the camera is an 18-55mm (f/3.5-5.6), and I'm already starting to see some of its shortcomings. For one, I can't get a really shallow depth of field like I'd like, and it's not a great zoom either. So you know what that means? More toys to buy!

My other problem is framing and composition. You know, the whole creative aspect. Eesh.  :laughing7:

But really, thanks for the tips guys! It'd be great to keep this sort of discussion going. Share what ya got!  :icon_thumright:

Lenses are more important than the body in many ways. a crappy lens, even on a 5DmkII is going to take crap pictures that will be outdone by your little Rebel with a good sharp prime. Megapixels are a ploy to get you to fork out more cash for a body that you'll probably replace in a couple years anyhow . . . but lenses are forever. anything over 12 megapixels is nice, but not a deal-breaking factor. the only reason to force yourself to go over 12 is if you're gonna print . . . BIG . . . like 3' gallery piece big . . . like billboard ad big . . . which most folks aren't gonna do.

As far as the aesthetic side of photography, that's just something you have to learn and develop. The best way I've found to do this is to take lots of photos then take the ones that seem to "look right" and imitate them, or figure out what is working. The best thing to do is find someone (or several someones) who's photos you like and regularly ask their opinion on your photos. Doesn't have to be anyone famous, just a friend who you feel has a knack for photography.

as far as gear, I have a Panasonic Lumix GH2, a 14-140 kit lens (f4-5.6), a 17mm Tamron Adaptall-2 f3.5, a Tamron A-2 24mm f2.5, a Tamron 28mm f2.5, a Canon 28mm f2.8, a Konica Hexanon 40mm f1.8, the Fader ND, 3 batteries, 2 16GB Sandisk Extreme SD Class 10 cards, a tripod, a hard case, a Lowepro sling, and an IndiSystems UltraCompact rig for my video stuff.

I have to agree with B3 about the lenses
I was a Nikon freak when I did film and always hated that Nikon did not take digital too serious at first
However I do feel they have caught up to Cannon now and put out a superior product, finally. It was really a sad thing for a few years
Nikon Glass is the best in the world. I moved into the digital world with the D70 series and was impressed but not really satisfied
Currently owning a D300s I have found a really nice platform that serves my needs really well. I mainly do outdoor photography during my 4x4 stuff and really suck at portrait style Photography.
maybe that is because most of my lenses are set up for landscape stuff.
I also found that in the point and shoot department I actually prefer the Cannon stuff.
I think I waited too long to decide to get rid of my film stuff, no market for it and I own a lot of Nikon glass.

anyone recommend me a Nikon digi body that I can use my manual focus Nikkor glass with? I'm still on film for any image that's more than a simple reference of the object captured

and for anyone who cares ... I'm still occasionally shooting my 70's era Nikon FE and even earlier Nikon F (with waist level view finder)

all the best,

R

Skutter, all Nikon glass should fit, it is just that you will not be able to get the autofocus/autometering to work
I have done it a few times with some of my big lenses,
but before quoting me about ALL bodies, I would call a good photo store and ask,

anyone looking to get into an interchangeable lens system for the first time (and even those already deep in with some $$$ to spend) should SERIOUSLY be considering the mirror less systems. Honestly, I got my GH2, and I was worried about not having an optical viewfinder . . . but I really prefer the digital one now. I'd much rather look at a screen that is showing me what the camera sees, than look throughout the lens with my own eye. It forces awareness of over and underexposure, color (to some extent), and most of all, FOCUS.

Mirrorless bodies are smaller, lighter, cheaper, and otherwise just as good if not better than most proper "lens reflex" cameras. The distance from mount front surface to sensor is WAY shorter, which means there is lots of real-estate in front for adaptors to basically ANY lens system you want. This means that the most important part of your capturing device (lenses) are available suddenly for much cheaper. The only modern lens I even have is the kit lens . . . the rest are in Canon FD mount, and I got them each for under $50 (some for free), and all the glass is great! If you get the right body, you can also get a "pancake" lens, which is incredibly stubby, and this lets you use it "point and shoot" style if you wish. If you don't wish, just dig in your bag and pull out your big expensive zoom lens and put that on front. Very flexible systems. I am referring to my experience with my  camera, which is "Micro Four Thirds" mount. It looks like a DSLR, but it is way smaller . . . and it is the biggest micro four thirds camera available! most of them look like point and shoot cameras with a lens mount on the front. They are designed for the amateur/prosumer market, not the point and shoot market, so they usually have all the manual controls and advanced functions on e would get in an expensive DSLR.

I like the SLR platform,plus modern lenses have some really nice features such as vibration reduction and such, I know with the VR series from Nikon I can hand hold a 200 mm lens, something I could never do with a manual lens.
I have owned a few Hasselblad back in the day when I actually made money off my photography, but even they have gone over to digital with modern motorized lenses. where there are a few lenses I hold out with my F series Nikon, I actually have not had a need for film in years. Technology moves on, I remember the days we all felt that digital would never give the resolution that film does and photo mags argued that to, but a modern Professional Nikon giving 24.whatever megapixels with a full set of photo software on a puter and it would be extremely difficult to tell the difference anymore.
say as you will, but I think we are beyond that now. When they started to include gyros in lenses, that simplicity of fixed mirrors started to be a mute point.

sorry, maybe I wasn't clear? they are digital CMOS sensor cameras, just like a DSLR, but they have no physical mirror or optical viewfinder.

for example: http://www.ephotocraft.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=885170051805

what is a "zoom" lens? (kidding)

in my bag, all you'll find is fixed focal length lenses ... an 85mm f/1.4 and 135mm f/2.8 are my personal favs

all the best,

R

Skuttle, I have a lot of those in Nikor, loved them, just technology marches on and we are getting great f/stops out of zooms nowdays, cost a bit, but they are doing what we liked the old fixed zooms for of yesteryear.
and as I said, now the lenses are gyro stablized

Nikon just announced one of those mirrorless cameras and honestly im not all that impressed.  IMO, the pictures I saw from it looked kinda like P+S pictures despite the fact that they were from a camera with a better sensor and lenses.  I would never trade a DSLR for one of those and I don't think they'll ever be as good really.  Just the feeling of the mirror and the shutter moving and the analog click make it better to me before we even get to discuss optics or anything else.  Sometimes bigger and simpler is better, look at tube amps.  I'll stick with my huge camera, giant camera bag/man-purse, and go get the shots I want instead of fumbling with settings on a fancy P+S with a lower quality sensor and changeable lenses.  :icon_biggrin:

Rant over...

reinhold said:
Nikon just announced one of those mirrorless cameras and honestly im not all that impressed.  IMO, the pictures I saw from it looked kinda like P+S pictures despite the fact that they were from a camera with a better sensor and lenses.  I would never trade a DSLR for one of those and I don't think they'll ever be as good really.  Just the feeling of the mirror and the shutter moving and the analog click make it better to me before we even get to discuss optics or anything else.  Sometimes bigger and simpler is better, look at tube amps.  I'll stick with my huge camera, giant camera bag/man-purse, and go get the shots I want instead of fumbling with settings on a fancy P+S with a lower quality sensor and changeable lenses.  :icon_biggrin:

Rant over...

um, ok  :icon_scratch:

I wasn't talking Nikon. They're new to the mirror less game. Tell me, what, exactly does a mirror do for you on a digital SLR? It provides real optical view thru the lens. Do you really want to see with your eyes thru the lens, or do you want to see what the sensor is seeing ('cause that's what you're going to end up with, not what your eye sees). I 110% agree with you that the new Nikon ones look like P&S POS (oops, I made a funny!  :icon_jokercolor:) However, Olympus and Panasonic have been at this game for a while now with the Micro Four Thirds mount specifically, and they have a good range of products for various uses. THe camera I have doesn't involve andy settings fumbling. It has a scroll wheel for Aperture and Shutter Speed adjustment just like the big boys, a dial with MASP, available lenses with very fast autofocus, RAW and JPEG settings, 16MP sensor, half-depress shutter for focus, a full-sized hotshoe, a designated knob for selecting normal/burst/bracket modes, MF/AF designated knob, AF lock button and several user-assignable function buttons. On top of that, the short mount-sensor distance lets me use any lens I want to, from Canon EF to Canon FD to Konica to Nikon to Sony to ARRI to Panavision to Bolex to Leica . . . you name it, I can probably get it on there . . . even 16mm C-mount cinema lenses.

I got this camera to get away from fumbling with settings. Adjust Shutter speed . . .  set the ISO (I can do all this with my thumb only on the scroll wheel) . . . manually focus and set the Aperture on my fully manual prime lens . . . fine tune maybe with the fader . . . snap photo. Looking at photos of a Panasonic GH2, you'd think it WAS a DSLR . . . until you saw the size of it. They're not all point and shoot style bodies.

I'm not downplaying the joys of using a full-sized DSLR, just up playing the mirror less cameras. There's really no need for a mirror at this point. If people are so hooked on the thwack of the mirror popping up, perhaps camera designers will incorporate a little craft motor that thwacks a counterweight inside the body . . . like in an xbox controller  :eek:ccasion14:

Attachments

• 5342559820_b787415e4c.jpg
    5342559820_b787415e4c.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 243
I worked as a semi-famous rock'n'roll photographer in Europe late 70s/early 80s http://amberjackmusic.com/rocknroll2.html ; used these and still use them if I need to take any serious pictures. Worried about getting decent film in the future, Kodachrome for the Mayima C330 Pro was discontinued 1996, and the last roll of 35mm was processed 30 Dec 2010...
These are equivalent of 20+ megapixels, eat your heart out...

Nikon_2002-12-22_0-07_Web.JPG

$(KGrHqJ,!hQE3vrBM3q5BOE2beetng~~_35.JPG

Back