Blue burst LP is basically done! Update - Better pics!

My ultimate goal is to have a huge range of possiblilities with the knobs... that's what I'm going for with the JP wiring. 

Stubhead's whole post is dead on.  If you're playing with your tone at 10 all the time, turn it down to 5 and crank the treble on your amp.  Presence controls are even better, and use your bright switch/channel if you have one.  Get it so 5 sounds like 10 used to, then you've got a huge range of sounds from the tone knob.  It kicks ass :)

When you're just smashing out some chords with the band, sure, put it to 11, but if you want to get lots of cool different tones you gotta finesse it :)

Edit: and it goes without saying you should do the same for your volume knob!  You'll need even more treble and lots more volume from your amp.

See, I'm working with a Micro Cube at the moment though.  It's a baby.  When I get my Hot Rod Deluxe, things will be easier.  I had my trebel at 8 on my guitar and at 8 on my amp when I was recording. 

there is currently a sd alnico pro 2 custom set with chrome covers and peter green mod on ebay.

apparently 10 years old but never used.

i was actually interested in them myself for a epi mij sheraton which was on ebay recently - but i missed out on it - i probably am going to regret missing it for a while.

I like the BN and it seems that all the re-issues are quite fine....The sound is the sound, so you can get either and be fine......I am not sold on the 45 RPM. I am too lazy to get up all the time...

jaws%20finished_full.jpg

I like the update with the zebras. Very nice.

definitely. there's something super classy about zebra pickups i think, and especially on a LP. and especially that LP! very nice, love the new pickups' look.

It's an SD Jazz in the neck and an SD Alternative 8 in the bridge.  It's turned out to be a really versatile combination.  I have a lot of fun with it. 

@hannaugh: You have that alternative8 in the bridge for some time now: how do you like it? you're les paul has kinda the same woods as the LP I have, and I was wondering if you like it, and the voicing of that pickup. Is it agressive? does it have a lot of mids and highs and upper mids, or does it have primarily lows and lower mids?

Yeah, I really like it.  It's cool because it can get very heavy metal if you want it to, but it sounds absolutely gorgeous clean.  When I'm playing on full distortion, it gets pretty ballsy, but it stays articulate, not a lot of extra noise where I don't want it.  It has a great warm low end, though sometimes I have to keep it in check because it can get a little fuzzy if the tone knob is a bit too low.  The highs are there, but they aren't super strong, so it doesn't get real nasally even if you have the tone all the way up.  The mids are the best.  It's a very versatile pickup because it is so hot, but it sounds great when it's not distorted, so you can get a really wide range of sounds out of it.  I think my favorite is when I have it on a clean setting with a tiny bit of gain and some reverb, it sounds real nice. 

Hm I see...

its cool that you like it, but I think I prefer the JB... the lows aren't really present there, and its got a LOT of highs and upper mids, which I like a lot. if the alt8 doesnt have those, its no deal for me.

It has highs, but the highs aren't the most noticeable thing about it.  I don't like overly treble-y pups, which is why I chose this one over the JB.  I wanted more oomph in the low and mid section. 

I was wondering how that turned out for you...

It looks like a really nice guitar.  You did a great job on this one!!

And it sounds like you had fun doing it, so consider yourself hooked to the wonderful drug that we know as guitar building

Really, seriously I think she looks awesome!!  (or is it a he since you are female!?)

NECROPOSTAR

This guitar is awesome. I always think of LPs as bigger than they actually are, though. This one has a nice feeling neck, and the body does indeed look amazing.
I'd forgotten about the "11" knobs, and they are a great subtle touch. The switching system was fun, and not overly complicated.

The Alt 8 pickup is quite hot and bright, and the Jazz is a lot lower output. They both sound nice, the Alt has a very aggressive sound.

The shorter scale was comfy, and barely noticeable.
And that comfort strap WAS comfy.

I didn't see a straight up shot (aside from a glossy alumitone one), but thought you might like a more 'standard' pic for your signature.

Attachments

• Nov2009GOTM.jpg
    Nov2009GOTM.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 643
Back