Other females?

hannaugh said:
... and by Scotland you mean where?  Bevmo?  Or did you personally buy it in Scotland?

well, I was being flippant (comes naturally). Not sure what Bevmo is, but I'm going to assume It's some SoCal booze retailer.  I actually bought it at the LCBO, which stands for "Liquor Control Board of Ontario".  Say what you will about government involvement, but the fact remains that the LCBO is the largest single buyer of liquor in the world.  This means we enjoy a huge selection of booze.  Another reason to like Ontario!

hannaugh said:
This might be a good time to mention that the other slightly male dominated website I am a member of is www.ratebeer.com

Cool!  My wife and I know a chef who prepares multi-course meals using exotic beers.  We frequently host parties at our place where we have a 6 or 7 course meal, each paired with it's own exotic beer.  Current favourite brewery is actually in Belgium:  Chimay!

Ahhh -  the finer things in life....

Hope someday I can get that Chimay...
I like exotic beers!

And still don't like Whiskey, perhaps someday after much efford...

Big fan of Magic Hat beers here recently, but I like to try them all!  As far as local brews, Duck Rabbit makes an excellent milk stout.  Don't drink much liquor anymore, but usually Bourbon on the rocks.  Wine, well there are just so many, I recently had a taste of a 2004 Eponymous Cab that was very nice.

My dad homebrewed some beer. He said he really liked it. Other than that he's hooked on Boags st. George, the only problem he says is that the bottle is too small!  :laughing7:

guitlouie said:
Big fan of Magic Hat beers here recently
Good choice, that's what I'm drinking right now.  I'm all out of the Samuel Smith's Winter Welcome, and there's no more flanders golden ale left in town.

I used to homebrew quite a bit, but now that my kitchen is 4 feet square,  'snagannahappen. You can make fantastic brew in the kitchen though.
I'm working my way through the local selection of beers in NYC, surprisingly more than I expected and some are really nice. Brooklyn Brewery "Double black chocolate stout" - no chocolate but 10% alcohol - was a treat.
Nowhere (in the US) compares with Portland Oregon though - that is beer heaven and nirvana all together. Alfang knows what I'm saying.

My last two vacations have been to Oregon.  I'm going back again this summer too.  I would move there in a heartbeat, but I've never seen the winters there, so I'll reserve comment.  It seems every little small town (and there are a lot) have "famous" microbrews.

Wow, I go away for a couple days, come back and RLW has disappeared. Weird. Cheers, buddy  :eek:ccasion14:

I've never had Chimay.  I'll pick some up next time I go beer shopping. 

Bevmo = Beverages & More.  I'm not sure how wide spread they are, but I love it because they have a really good selection.  The other cool thing about Bevmo is that they also have cigars, which I am not into, but I know several people who love the fact that they can pick up a nice bottle of whiskey or rum and a fine cigar at the same time.    They also have about 300 different types of soda, lots of wine, bar ware, snacks... pretty much everything you need to throw a party.  And the beers are organized by country and style.

I love pairing beer with food!  My favorite combo is a ham sandwich with a dark brown to red ale.  Murphy's Red is a good one, esp if it is on tap. 

My friend and her brother do their own brewing, though I haven't tried it yet.  She says it's good though. 

Yeah, Oregon and the very top of Northern CA have some great stuff.  That's where Lost Coast Brewing and Anderson Valley Brewing are. 

and about chocolate stouts... really good with vanilla ice cream.

tfarny  i know exactly what your saying, I brew beer here as well, and it's good

WOW!  Follow this thread from beginning to now, what a couple of twists

best beer I have ever had hands down is Banks Beer. Only avalible in Guyana as far as I know. just a light refreshing no frills beer.

ocguy106 said:
best beer I have ever had hands down is Banks Beer. Only avalible in Guyana as far as I know. just a light refreshing no frills beer.

That's actually brewed and readily available in Barbados.... Whenever we have to go test international cell phones in the Caribbean, we always seem to run into issues that require us to stay/test longer....

hannaugh said:
I've never had Chimay.  I'll pick some up next time I go beer shopping. 

Chimay comes in three flavors http://www.chimay.com/en/three_strong_personalities_217.php It's been almost 15 years since I had Chimay, at that time I really liked only one but I can't remember which :icon_scratch:

Ectually,  Chimay has 4 brews available:

1 - white cap.  Light and refreshing
2 - red cap.  Redder and more intense
3 - blue cap.  Getting mighty powerful

aaaand

4 - Grand Reserve.  Name says it all.

I personally don't like the white cap - but the others are heaven.  :eek:ccasion14:

Chimay also makes cheese with the Grand Reserve.  Nothing like sipping some chimay and nibbling on some chimay

If you fella's (and I say that in a way to include the females here) ever get to williamsberg, brooklyn, check out the brooklyn brewery.  On saturdays they have a tour and free drinks after every tour, and some first class beer.  Stay for the day 12 to whenever, send out for pizza, play scrabble.  Very good music scene in Willy-b too, to check out, once you've become nice and soused.

mayfly said:
Ectually,  Chimay has 4 brews available:

1 - white cap.  Light and refreshing
2 - red cap.  Redder and more intense
3 - blue cap.  Getting mighty powerful

aaaand

4 - Grand Reserve.  Name says it all.

I personally don't like the white cap - but the others are heaven.  :eek:ccasion14:

Chimay also makes cheese with the Grand Reserve.  Nothing like sipping some chimay and nibbling on some chimay

Cheese???!!!  Another thing I love!  I approve of the people at Chimay and their choices. 

There used to be an Eastern European grocery store near me that had a deli with the most amazing cheese counter ever.  You could sample by the cheeses themselves or with anything from the meat counter or the olive bar. God I miss that place.  I used to buy this smokey Polish white cheese there that was really good with Arrogant Bastard and even better with hard cider. 

I think next time I go on a road trip across the country, I'm going make a brewery map so I can check out some of these breweries. 

Chimay is one of the beers originating from abbeys of the Trappist order. Beer and cheese are the traditional produce that the friars of these abbeys sold to the surrounding townsfolk to create some income. Chimay (along with six other brands) is still actually produced at an abbey, a lot of the other similar beers come from a brewery and are more or less imitations. Although the breweries in the abbeys are also pretty industrial - I visited the Orval brewery a number of years ago and it is completely comparable to, say, the brewery of Palm or De Koninck. Really not a kitchen table operation. This is one of the major advantages of living in Belgium, you're really at the source...

jackthehack said:
ocguy106 said:

That's actually brewed and readily available in Barbados.... Whenever we have to go test international cell phones in the Caribbean, we always seem to run into issues that require us to stay/test longer....

I am in the cell industry as well (RF Engineer doing opto and design) that is what takes me down there from time to time as well

I have been to southern Belgium and had a few too many Chimay brews. It is very, very good, but quite a bit stronger than the standard US beers. It sneaks up on you. Faced before you know you are even buzzed.

Back