November 2015 Guitar of the Month Contest Submissions

Mine is a retread, but I saw amigarobbo's bass and Geekydad's bass and thought I'd join the party.  Beautiful basses guys!

I think I need to up my photography skills before I enter again. 
It won't be too long before I can do some "guitar in the snow" photos.

DustyCat makes it 8! Good luck!

Last 24 hours or so to get any more entries in.

Gentle reminder - photos as attachments please. Not inline or linked. Couple of entrants would have been disqualified this month if GOM had been in a grumpy mood.

amigarobbo...LOVE the paint!!
I have to ask why a walnut body unless you are chasing a certain tone?

DMRACO said:
amigarobbo...LOVE the paint!!
I have to ask why a walnut body unless you are chasing a certain tone?

The neck was heavy, so I was going for a heavier body,
Here's the build thread:
http://unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=25536.0

Where I say

[quote author=Me]
Yep, I went for figured Walnut, in that finish! Ha! How do you like that Mother nature!!! No seriously, it's normal walnut, I wanted a heavy dense wood, I was going to go for Maple, but I think that might have been too heavy, so I went for something almost as heavy, and although we all know wood doesn't have an effect on tone, but according to somethings I've read the sound and  'responsiveness' ( http://www.alembic.com/info/wood_body.html ) of walnut is what I wanted. I dunno if it'll turn out like that especially with those pickups, until I finished it, but I will say it very quiet played acoustically. 
[/quote]

It does seem to be getting slightly louder acoustically, or maybe I'm just getting used to it. The Bass is probably a bit too heavy, but my spine is still relatively strong and flexible, for a man of my age. :-\

"...we all know wood doesn't have an effect on tone..." 

Aren't you overstating that a bit?  A lot of us, including the people at Warmoth, think exactly the opposite -- the choice of wood can have a substantial impact on the tone.

There is room for different opinions, of course.  If you don't think the choice of body wood will make a difference in the tone, I'm not going to try to convince you otherwise, but I'd avoid the blanket statements.

Sorry, that should have been read more along the lines of

"and although we all know wood doesn't have an effect on tone
desismileys_4333.gif
, but I've chosen the wood based on it's reported tone."

Actually without getting to much into the rather nasty t*newood debate, this series of videos makes for interesting if very long viewing

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1doUxjPfc7w[/youtube]

In fact forget the tone wood aspect, its just a series of interesting guitar build videos anyway.

Oh, and since I've started, how can a brass nut make a difference to the sound but not the physical properties of the thing that the nut is mounted in? Sure a guitar is made up of a load of different things, and it's hard to isolate individual effects, but for flips sakes there's a huge difference between saying that the body wood makes NO difference to the tone to saying the effect is so small as to be irrelevant once you've put it through 3 distortion pedals, a ring modulator, phaser and gulp, solid state amplifier.

At 132dB.

I'm going to have a lie down now.

Fat Pete sneaks under the wire to make it a bumper 9 entries this month!

Good luck everybody, voting will be going live any time now...

Back