Non Warmoth PVX semi hollow double cut

Kuro Uma

I ordered another PVX kit; this time a double cut. I figure I'll share with you guys what I've been up to with it. I got a W guitar coming next I swear!

Here is the kit as it came in:
One piece mahogany body nice flame maple top, ebony board on a flame maple/walnut laminate neck.
fu1CA7.jpg

Nice ebony board:
Ypq4FS.jpg

back of the neck:
6j1mlg.jpg

A lot of these pics are from when things were still very rough, but you get the idea.

I made some flamed maple/figured mahogany/purple heart inlays. routed and inlaid them. Made them match the radius with a block from Stewmac.
kBJ2Yh.jpg

roughed out the headstock shape:
waqHVk.jpg

routed for the maple binding.
gKSn5a.jpg

Headstock bound in the maple with my lil logo engraved into the ebony veneer. Most of the binding isn't trimmed up in these pics:
G3spwa.jpg

wo7oaO.jpg

2297NK.jpg

zQgPoM.jpg

Once I got it all cleaned up:
jzaGO9.jpg

The maple pieces you see laying there are for the back of the guitar.

I don't know why but I decided the original shape needed those "fiddle" notches out of the sides:
W3vphO.jpg

I don't have pics of this but I got creative with the router table and made a jig to hold the body. I then shaved about 1/4th an inch off the backside of the guitar. I then cut the control cavity from the piece and then glued the back side maple in place:
H9Cm1G.jpg

I dyed the top in a weak black, sanded that back, then a strong violet and sanded that back:
OrIvXo.jpg

I sprayed a light blue dye with a preval sprayer for a burst:
tadhr9.jpg

Then did the same with a much darker different blue dye around the edges:
Lwilhu.jpg

uaZWt7.jpg

HNxKWy.jpg

The Violet really shows through in person, hard to photograph. with no clear coat or anything yet to show it off.

Removed the tape and dry fit the neck to get an idea of how it's coming along:
bjmPV0.jpg

EAs4Nh.jpg

50FkWI.jpg

Ok so I promised not to go overboard with dye anymore, But I decided I'd ink something into the back side. sketched it up:
wevJUL.jpg

started inking:
UEhIaT.jpg

finished inking:
1rZcRy.jpg

Sealed it up, did the same dye process on the back maple. Here's the violet sanded back.
VoTwWN.jpg

After I got both blues sprayed and the tape removed:
Vazyh5.jpg

TmUTkb.jpg

N2MH8F.jpg

The back of the neck will be dyed the same way as the top and back. The plans are for hybrid nickel/gold hardware. A Ghost Resomax wraparound bridge. (explains the channel under the bridge for the piezo lines) Controls will be Volume, Acoustic volume, mini toggle for acoustic/both/magnetics and the 3 way toggle is the same Dimarzio toggle used in Parkers. Switching will be full bridge/split coil/full neck. controlling these BKP Jugs in brushed nickel and gold bolts:
cFRycn.jpg

That's all I've got done so far. What do you guys think?

You know, I think it would be awesome to see what you could do if you had any actual artistic talent. 

Heh.

Seriously, man, that's beautiful.  And you are one seriously productive mofo when you settle down to doctor up a guitar.  Amazing.

Pulled this one up without really noticing who the author was. Yada yada, another shredder. Hmm interesting... Woah,.. DANG. This looks like Kuro's work, yup. Nice work, as always.

Super Turbo Deluxe Custom said:
How did you get the control cavity cover to be the same? Was it cut bbefore the back was laminated?

Thanks guys! Yes, It was cut with a scroll saw before I glued the back on.

DMRACO said:
I am curious...what is the white you used to help mask off the drawing??

That is the liquid masking tape. It turns clear when dry but I snapped the pic before it was all dry. I love it for doing stuff like this. You can put it on thick and sand right up to it or even on it a little bit and it creates a clean line when you remove it. It's intended for use on plastic models so you can find it in most hobby stores.

Thanks for the comments guys. I must be on the right track with this one.

On the right track? Ha, you own the whole line with this one. Your soloists were great, but this one is over-the-top gorgeous. Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Beautiful work. The ink is amazing.  :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

Back