Non-Warmoth-induced GAS

sandberg-ca-tm5-"patchwork"-

sandberg-ca-tm4-"patchwork"-elbas.jpg

sandberg-bullet-special-4-rw-custom-puzzle-finish-elbas.jpg

So ... Warmoth?  :icon_jokercolor:

Of all the things they did there I can't believe they passed up chopping the pickup cover to match! Oh well. Awesome idea anyway!

I have a couple of EH pedals including the regular Big Muff Pi.  Always a solid choice.  The Q-Tron + and the Freeze pedal are pretty cool. 

I have a big muff. :toothy12:

It sounds pretty bad with my guitars, especially because I'm a mellow single coil type of guy... but it sounds amazing for bass solos.

The Big Muff I have was pretty banged up and actually didn't work when I first got it.  I had to do a little soldering to get it back to working condition.  I bought a new Fuzz Face around the same time I got the Big Muff, and I prefer the Big Muff.  It sounds amazing with my Strat, but it does take a little fiddling with the knobs and the volume on the guitar to get it where you want it.

I am notoriously bad at using knobs. :toothy12: I am convinced though, that part of the reason my tone sometimes lacks fullness and life is gear.. I have a crappy amp, but I'm always too full of guitar projects to pay for a new amp. I think a nice guitar can partially make up for poor gear.. I tried a custom shop strat through a princeton reverb reissue 2 days ago, and the tone was outstanding, and I absolutely hate those amps.

Yeah, a crappy amp is hard to work around no matter how nice your other stuff is.  I remember the days when all I had was a cheap Crate practice amp.  Bleh. 

I'm stuck on a gallien krueger with two homemade cabs. I'm hoping to find an old Fender piggyback amp so I can make a new cab for my two EV speakers, and use it for both guitar and bass.

I must say I like old Ampegs even more, but only the combos, such as the reverberocket... But I can't use those for bass. I would need another amp, which in my space is not simple.

Old Ampegs are remarkably clean amps, especially considering they were tube-based, and were famously used for bass quite a bit by many professionals. Coupled with a pair of EVs (which are as close to indestructible speakers as exist), you'd probably be hard-pressed to do better. In fact, in order to get them to sound good for guitar, you usually have to feed through some sfx or an extra gain stage on the front end. Unless, of course, you want a clean hi-fi guitar sound for country/western or pedal steel work.

I just love that fullness and rich tone that you get from a reverberocket combo... Such great cleans..

And yeah, these speakers cost a ton, but they are absolutely amazing.

Didn't Carol Kaye use Ampegs? She's definitely a huge influence.

What ampeg head would you reccomend for guitar and bass, preferably on a budget.?

The V2s and V4s were always popular and used for both, but I'm not sure they're available at budget prices even though they're both really old now. But, the design was very robust so if you did manage to get one it's probably going to work quite well and be repairable for years to come.

Incoming NPD. Got this in a trade. It sounds absolutely awful in most of the demos, but I figured if I hate it's worth more than a bass muff, should be an easy trade.

boodb3-xl-01.jpg

Altar said:

Are you aware that if you send her $40, she will personally give you a bass lesson on Skype?  I was looking for one of her books and stumbled across that little piece of info.  Pretty cool. 

hannaugh said:
Altar said:

Are you aware that if you send her $40, she will personally give you a bass lesson on Skype?  I was looking for one of her books and stumbled across that little piece of info.  Pretty cool.

Thanks for reminding me, I still haven't done that. That's one of the things I really need to do before I/she dies.

YES!!!

This thing is F@CKING AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!111

Love it. Does everything the big muff can do, and more, and better. I'll admit the demos had me worried, they all made it sound like a giant fart, but this pedal is awesome. So versatile, goes from a suppressed crunch to all out screaming fuzz tones... The "Balance" knob is freaking perfect. Sounds amazing for Geddy's heavier parts... Doesn't sound the same, but fits in the mix well.

The heavier you go, the worse it sounds for guitar, but with the gain set to 9:00 and the balance real low, it gets this really unique and usable bluesy overdrive. I'm so much happier with this than I thought I would be, and I'm glad I went with this rather than the bass muff.

:blob7:

Back