NGD - Peeeevey Mystic!

stubhead

Master Member
Many many many moons back, I had a relatively early Peavey T60. The two memorable features were a ridiculously-heavy NORTHERN ash body - roughly the size of a 335 or so, only NOT hollow. Paired with a ridiculously-thin, Pre-Wizard Wizard-size neck. It was like, Hartley Peavey took a list of various features off of various different guitars - then chose the least compatible making the Greatest Guitar Ever. So I cut a couple of really big HOLES throught the thing, and then repaired it with the very, very first aftermarket replacement neck I had ever even seen or heard of, a $99 no-name maple/maple Strat neck from Guitar Resurrection in Austin Tx. That was a GREAT guitar town.... Nowadays it would be called a boatneck, and I've often wondered who/what/where it came from - no turtle, who WAS making replacement mape-mapes in 1984? Once I destroyed the thing, it was actually quite a good guitar - but I also had better, so I shortly traded it for my first pedal steel guitar.

So anyway

The fingerboard/fret junctures had been laminated with the usual mixture of Vintage Blues Mud, fermented mung-bean spread and Personal Byproducts - I try to not spend too much time on questions about which I really don't want to know the answers. :eek: It does have the most misfortune'd popsicle-stick neck profile of Peavey's entire oeuvre (thataways) - but - YAAY!!! - a seriously-jumbo "boatneck" profile 24-fret Warmoth "Warhead" neck will be a near-shoe-in. Both 24.75" scale length. The Peavey has 23 frets*, with another 0.21875"-r-so of wood leading to a flat Tele butt landing; the Warhead has a 24-fret neck with the last fret on a fretboard extenson, there's a roundy Stratish butt that ends up 0.21875"('r-so) past the 23rd fret. Plenty room for the fret exension, up to and above the pickup:

*(I try to not spend too much time on questions about which I don't even care about the answers. Twenty-THREE?!?)

I will likely do some little wedgie-type stuffers, no plobremo for SuperFidgit! It also has the neck screws centered inwards from the normal location, they'd obviously be too stable out towards the edges like normal. So I have to redrill/redirect the body holes. And it also has the lovely little insty-tilt thing adopted from Fender, but maybe even more improved to added screwedness. As it's currently set, you can loosen the two upper neck screws and tighten the two lower ones to change the neck angle, or vice-versa... all rocking back and forth on the 1/100th of a millimeter area of a single little screwpoint. But - it's a steel screwpoint!  :hello2:
And changing the alignment from side to side is as simple as just picking it up (note to sef - B SHUR to retain that feech).

Of course, over on the "Incredibly Valuable" section of the Rare Vintage Peavey Guitar Forum they're tiptoeing around their Incredibly Rare $200 Peavey Masterpieces -  :icon_thumright:Scott GROVE  :icon_thumright: said they were better than 1959 Gibson Les Paul Standards!  :icon_thumright:- what mo' can you possibly nee... BUT YOU CAN'T TOUCH A THING! It's a Peavey, man.... ok ok down if u can't say anything nice go fishing etc. In mod terms out here in the Stubbyland it's like BOMBS AWAY, Baby.

When I first saw the thing, I actually had my Warmoth "Mustang" with a Warhead neck on it in my lap, playing while surfing...., looking back and forth from butt to butt. Then I forgot to bid on it! Then it was still there, then I made the man an offer he could not refuse. One semi-foolproofing issue is that the bridge plate is huge, with lots of room, so even if my neck plate dimensions are a few mm's off I'll be able to do LOTS of adjustment by changing saddle screw lengths, and as it's getting better saddles anyway....

And above all, it does have the very functional dual blade-to-single-coil rolloff and these pickups are GOOD. He surely stole something from the Lawrence L500's and stole it well. Looking in the control cavity there's nothing special, no dual-ganged pots or anything? ??? It just works. I actually have hopes for the thing once I get a real neck, something better than IMITATION Klusons... it's going to wait a while though. I'm still paying off my teeth, I "shouldn't" have even bought this.... boy I feel really about that guilty too.  :laughing7:

I’ve owned two T-60s and your comments are correct.  Heavy Northern Ash body and the best neck profile I’ve ever played.  Also somewhat fugly, which is why I’ve always wanted to throw some T-60 guts into a Stratocaster body.  Great sound and great playing guitar and I’m sure the Mystic helped with the weight issue.

I've always had a soft spot for T-60's.  I've been looking for one to butcher (I'm thinking of sawing it half laterally with a band saw, then routing out everything inside it, then gluing back together).

I must say that I'm not that much of a fan of that guitar you have there mind you  :)

Nice find.

The T-60, everyone who has played long enough has surely owned one.  The last one I saw was hanging on a wall hanger of a stage for when the has been club owner could sit in with the band and play Gimme 3 steps or Roadhouse Blues.  Coincidentally, if you obliged, you got re-booked.  Go figure.

If you see a T-60 these days, it's at a jam and owned by a guy that plays D&D and insists on running it through his Roland Jazz Chorus.

StübHead said:
I actually have hopes for the thing once I get a real neck, something better than IMITATION Klusons... it's going to wait a while though. I'm still paying off my teeth, I "shouldn't" have even bought this.... boy I feel really about that guilty too.  :laughing7:

"Imitation Klusons?" That's spooky. Real Klusons are a nightmare in and of themselves. How they're still in business is a mystery for the ages.

I feel for you on the teeth thing. I'm afraid to even let the dentist look in my mouth. I know what he's gonna say. "Thank GOD! I was worried about paying off that boat!"

Cagey said:
"Imitation Klusons?" That's spooky. Real Klusons are a nightmare in and of themselves. How they're still in business is a mystery for the ages.

wait up - I thought the peavey tuning keys were made by Gotoh  :icon_scratch:

I think the T60 had sealed tuners - this has bent sheetmetal tuners that have the double Kluson lines, but say "Peavey." My impression is this is a cheaper guitar, or at least was until scarcity and lust enter into things. It has the same basic 2nd-generation (3rd) T60 type pickups, but one master volume instead of separate ones, and no phase switches - boy that's a killer... :laughing3: That was one of those befuddling ideas - just because you can play coils out of phase, doesn't mean... :icon_scratch: Not Strat "out" of phase string-sampling differences but two coils genuinely OUT OF PHASE. If you want less volume, just TURN IT DOWN, OK? If you want your guitar to sound like crap, just GO AWAY, OK? OK! :icon_thumright:

Peavey, like so many others, had a real "throw it at the wall and see if it sticks" approach to product design. Guitarist are kind of morons. The only Peaveys that seems to have any enduring high value are the Wolfgangs. For ANYTHING else, they seem to be worth between $100 and $900, depending on whether you paid $100 or $900 for it.

But... Carl Perkins played a Peavey! And... Carl Perkins wrote "Blue Suede Shoes!" And... "Blue Suede Shoes" is a great rock 'n' roll classic! And... my dog had fleas! And... Genghis Khan had fleas! And... Genghis Khan conquered the largest empire in history! etc.

Knock yosef out:
http://t60mafia.com/
or at least knock yosef silly:
http://peavey.com/forum/

Yes the T-60s have/had sealed tuners.  I once read they're from Ping but didn't think Ping was around back in '78 when the T-60 and T-40 arrived. 

I believe Peavey pioneered the use of CNC milling and routing for guitar manufacturing.  Their neck standards were 1.5x the size of the actual production necks. 

Thing looks like it should be living on the seabed.

I like it!

23 frets?!

393349__frank-zappa-8_p.jpg

Just how off is the neck pocket area from a Warmoth neck?  The hamster started running at the idea of a T-60 with a baritone conversion neck...

Two different beasts, 23-fret and 24-fret 24.75" scale (this), vs. 21 or 22 fret 25.5" scale (T60's). Though, when I put the aftermarket noname neck on my T60, I SEEM to remember that it was a strat-pocket, the body holes were drilled in the (standard) wide pattern. But that was a long long long time ago - 1985?
If I had a brain that worked that way it'd be so full of crap by now I'd be crazy (.... :redflag:...)

Back