Can a Telecaster neck be used with a Strat body?

The STRATosphere on eBay. I had the location wrong though. Looks like he's in New Hampshire.

Ah, yes, they became infamous for their — to paraphrase Aristotle — "the sum of the parts is worth more than the whole" business model. They made a small fortune by buying vintage Fenders, taking them apart, and selling all the parts separately. I think many people realized long time ago vintage parts were worth 25-50% more than the whole guitar, but they were the first to cannibalize vintage guitars on a large, retail scale. With a limited supply chain for vintage instruments, they found out could do the same with any new or used Fender (and other makes). And they just keep expanding for there. They don't make any parts in house, so they probably sourced those bodies wholesale.

Last edited:
Ah, yes, they became infamous for their — to paraphrase Aristotle — "the sum of the parts is worth more than the whole" business model. They made a small fortune by buying vintage Fenders, taking them apart, and selling all the parts separately. I think many people realized long time ago vintage parts were worth 25-50% more than the whole guitar, but they were the first to cannibalize vintage guitars on a large, retail scale. With a limited supply chain for vintage instruments, they found out could do the same with any new or used Fender (and other makes). And they just keep expanding for there. They don't make any parts in house, so they probably sourced those bodies wholesale.
I don't know much about their history. They have 99.4% positive feedback and that says something.

I figured the neck and body would be made overseas from Swamp Ash grown in the USA, and and the Maple neck from Maple from the USA or Canada.

The neck is C shape. Full but comfortable. Nice and flamey too, Fret work looks really good but I expect some sharp ends eventually. I have fret rounding tools and no what to do.

The body is light and beautiful. Getting excited to hear how the guitar sounds!

I figured the neck and body would be made overseas from Swamp Ash grown in the USA, and and the Maple neck from Maple from the USA or Canada.

Typically, if they use North American lumber, to make something sold in North America, then it'll be cheaper to manufacture in North America.
It's not cost effective to ship North American lumber to Asia to be processed into something just to it ship back to North America. Lumber is big, heavy, and can only be shipped at certain times of year or they have to pay more for climate control.

Plus, lumber like "swamp ash" is not a real species. Many in the Ash genus (Fraxinus) could qualify. And for global instrument making, there are so many worldwide species that can be regionally sourced as ideal substitutes. If "it walks like [swamp ash] and quacks like an [swamp ash]", then I happy to have a guitar made with it.

Last edited:
I have been scared to buy 50 dollars bodies And 65 dollars for wenge and padouk Necks... I know they don't have stainless frets.

Well when all is said and done this ax is one of the best "Strats" I've ever heard.

Finally got it all together yesterday and it's simply fabulous...wherever the parts came from.

Sustains forever and has a full warm tone.

The new 2 point Fender American Standard tremolo is now my favorite, and with the NOS Sperzel tuners it stays in tune beautifully...although the Sperzels were a real PITA to install.

And guess what? I'm going to make another just like it, but use non-toxic finishing products.

This one is finished in 12 coats (at least) of shellac although most of it got wet sanded off to fill the grain.

The shellac is pretty harmless. But the three coats of nitro lacquer were not good or a 74 year old guy like me who fighting cancer.

So I'm thinking TruOil next time.

Last edited:
Back