Some geek research about Deluxe 5 / Gecko 5 string spacing

Mewgava

Hello everyone.
I made a little comparison of stringspacing and width of Deluxe 5 and Gecko Medium 5 necks.
It is important for me cause I want to order F...der-style 5 string bass but I also need to keep closest to 4-string bass stringspace for my built. It's easy to make with Gecko 5 medium model but Gecko 5 doesn't look enough vintage for me.
I asked a question to support about neck width for 22nd fret on Gecko medium or for 24th fret on Deluxe 5 but they didn't have necks for taking measurements. But they told me that Deluxe 5 and Gecko medium necks have very similar sizes to each other.
So I decided to calculate all needed parameters using already available data from Warmoth's website and and some general knowledge from geometry and math.
Here is the data I've used:
Nut width for both necks: 1-7/8".
Deluxe 5 neck width at the 22nd fret: 2,906"
Gecko medium neck width at the 24th fret: 3"
Fret ratio: =2^(1/12)
Triangle geometry.
I assumed the average value of the each to each string space at the nut as: 10,5 mm. It can be a little different but I don't worry about it.
I used 864 mm (34") scale for both necks just for clarity and self-testing because eventually scale absolutely doesn't matter.
I converted all inch values to millimeters with a factor of 25.4 because I'm a metric guy and it's more convenient for me. I'm sorry for that, if it's inconvenient for somebody.
Finally I compiled the data into a Google spreadsheet and came to the conclusion that using wide stringspacing on the Deluxe 5 neck is quite acceptable. If wider spacing works well with Gecko 5 Medium, it will work with Deluxe 5 too.

Any notes or advices?
BwKcMe6iklg.jpg

Last edited:
Back