Neck Profile Question

Edison Chase

I'm trying to match the neck "feel" of a guitar I have. Using a digital caliper, the neck measures 0.80" at the 1st fret and 0.92" at the 12th fret.

What Warmoth neck profile would this most closely match ?

Standard Thin ?
Wizard ?

I think Standard Thin would be the closest, Wizard is a little thinner.
This page has the neck measurements https://warmoth.com/guitar-neck-profiles
Yeah, looks like "Standard Thin" is the closest spec to what I have on this guitar.

The manufacturer lists it as a "C Profile" neck.

Everyone seems to want to use an entirely different vocabulary to describe the same thing. Makes it fun to try to sort out.

Between those two I would start with the Standard Thin, no question.

The closest to your dimensions is the Wolfgang, but the feel of the neck is more than just the front-to-back dimensions. The actual shape of the contour and the nut width both factor heavily.

When in doubt: Standard Thin.

Of course, the other factor is the nut width. From my observation, a thinner allows for a thicker neck without feeling weird

I'd also suggest the Wolfgang. I have 2 Standard Thins and 1 Wolfgang. The ST's are nice, but the WF really nails it...for me. Was always hunting thinner necks. After getting the WF, I'm much receptive to a thicker neck, especially an asymmetric neck.

Of course, the other factor is the nut width. From my observation, a thinner allows for a thicker neck without feeling weird

I'd also suggest the Wolfgang. I have 2 Standard Thins and 1 Wolfgang. The ST's are nice, but the WF really nails it...for me. Was always hunting thinner necks. After getting the WF, I'm much receptive to a thicker neck, especially an asymmetric neck.
The neck I'm trying to "copy" is a 1-11/16" nut.

Want the same "feel" as this guitar.

Aaron is correct - the Wolfgang spec is closer to my dimensions.. so I may go with the Wolf

I'm pretty sure @rauchman meant "A thinner 'nut width' allows for a thicker 'neck profile' without feeling weird."

Perhaps we're all saying the same thing, in reverse.

Reading it again, probably that is what he meant. Narrower nut, thicker profile. Wider nut, thinner profile. Most likely works both ways for those with those preferences :cool:

Back