New to forum, first build in years "WALEYE"

SPLGEO

Hello everyone,
After going back to university and graduating, I wanted to build a special bass for myself. This will serve as a bit of relaxation time before starting my Ph.D. The spec's on the build are;
Body: Dinky J, mahogany with a birdseye maple top(standard), rear route
Neck: Warmoth, maple, rosewood fretboard, 6130 Ni 21 frets
Hardware: black hardware on the body by Gotoh, Ni tuners for the neck
Pickups: Fishman Fluence
Finish: sanded to 2000 grit, possible yellow tint on maple parts, 100% pure Tung Oil

The body is set to be here 6/17, neck yet to ship. I will start posting pictures when the wood comes in. I have all of the hardware and pickups. Its a sudo Wal build, can not afford the real thing at the moment. 

Had you seen these in the JC-3b config? I just got one myself. https://nordstrandaudio.com/products/3-band-preamps?variant=48371052820

stratamania said:
Welcome to the forum. Look forward to seeing your build.
Thank you The body should be arriving today. Pictures will be posted. Friday I will start work on getting the body completed.

BeagJon said:
Had you seen these in the JC-3b config? I just got one myself. https://nordstrandaudio.com/products/3-band-preamps?variant=48371052820
Yes, I have come across this. The plan after my Masters's degree is to build on like the Warwick bass. Bubinga body, wenge/ebony neck. Also using the Bigblade man pickups.
I liked the Fishman pickups for their different voicings, and I am just a huge technology nerd. If I don't like them I'll order some multi-coil pickups from Europe and build my own preamp.

BeagJon, I saw you got a bass body in Bubinga, how heavy is it?

rick2 said:
Ok... what’s a sudo wal?
BeagJon said:
rick2 said:
Ok... what’s a sudo wal?
Pseudo Wal. The unobtanium boutique brand. https://walbasshistory.blogspot.com/p/blog-page_17.html
LOL, Sorry yeah Pseudo. See this is why I am taking a break between degrees. sudo is a command in Linux. Yes, they are very hard to get. I am on the waiting list for when Paul is taking orders. Figured it would be a good, after Ph.D. and landing a good job gift.

stratamania said:
Geddy Lee, also used Wal basses at one time.
Geddy Lee, JC from TOOL, Flea from RHCP, and many more. It has a great sound with a -12db/oct(3rd order) filter preamp. The pull function on the filters is an adjustable Q for the filter.

Even with a roasted maple neck, it's impossibly heavy. Like stupid heavy. There's a reason Warwick bodies are TINY.

A colleague I used to work with in the UK owned a Wal bass from his youth though apparently did not play anymore.

Warmoth offers chambered bodies on some models, which reduces the weight.

rick2 said:

This is going to be the bass that sits at my computer and the one I use for RockSmith so I didn't need it to be light weight. For those looking to play an instrument out - keep the Bubinga body SMALL lol.

yo spelgeo your avatar looks like Duncan Jax from order of the black eagle (1987, 93 min) and unmasking the idol (1986, 90 min). thats a pretty deep cut as far as b movies go, kudos.

BeagJon said:
Even with a roasted maple neck, it's impossibly heavy. Like stupid heavy. There's a reason Warwick bodies are TINY.
BeagJon said:
rick2 said:

This is going to be the bass that sits at my computer and the one I use for RockSmith so I didn't need it to be light weight. For those looking to play an instrument out - keep the Bubinga body SMALL lol.

That's what I was assuming, that they are really heavy. I can't play professionally/ or really out anymore(long story). I like having something that I can switch my brain off and have fun with. The bass I am building, might be loaned out to a recording studio I am friends with, but other than that it will be just playing 10 minutes here and 10 minutes there.

stratamania said:
A colleague I used to work with in the UK owned a Wal bass from his youth though apparently did not play anymore.

I completely understand that not playing anymore part. I've never experienced one personally. I know this build won't be a true WAL but it'll be something in its spirit.

Body should be delivered today, shows on truck heading my way.

Here is the body, fresh out of the box.

Attachments

• IMG_1797.jpg
    IMG_1797.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1798.jpg
    IMG_1798.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 13
First coat on. Arrived sanded to 220. I took it done with 320-400-600, raising the grain in between each sanded run. Then applied a 50/50 mix of tung oil and mineral spirits using 1000 grit. Tonight I apply a 75/25 mix with 2000 girt. Then tomorrow a final coat of 100%.
This is a standard birdseye top. I was amazed that it also has some quilt to it as well. Has a lot of 3d qualities to it hard to get on camera.

Attachments

• IMG-1801.jpg
    IMG-1801.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 16
BroccoliRob said:
yo spelgeo your avatar looks like Duncan Jax from order of the black eagle (1987, 93 min) and unmasking the idol (1986, 90 min). thats a pretty deep cut as far as b movies go, kudos.

see what i mean? its uncanny

OfQGViY.jpg

Hot dog that is another beautiful piece of work from the big W. I am constantly blown away with their work. That is going to be a great bass.

Thank you all for the supporting comments. Just got done doing a final rub down to remove any weeping oil. Now it just needs to cure( a week or two). The body darkened a little bit with the coats of 100% tung oil. I also realized I never posted a picture of the back. SO here is one of the back, and one more of the front after all of the sanding, oiling, and rubbing. I was hoping the neck was going to ship last week. Didn't happen, so I hope this week it will be in the mail.

Attachments

• IMG-1803.jpg
    IMG-1803.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG-1804.jpg
    IMG-1804.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 12
BroccoliRob said:

I believe the image is of the mighty Christoph Lambert

Back