New Showcase Body Build Underway

Some updates.  The second layer of CA has been applied to the chipped area and is building up nicely.  Should buff out without issue.

The frets measure within spec of 6150s, but I discovered that the majority of the fret slots are a bit shallow.  While the tangs have bottomed out, there is still some gap beneath a few of the frets - enough to accommodate a fingernail.  Have a look at the last fret...thinking I might have to send this one back.

932A2DCF-5C72-4889-AC74-6370FA6843F2_zpsw20i6qc4.jpg

00EC2CD4-623B-421F-B7DD-6F8A08C22EC3_zpsq0xhj0wd.jpg

F4B43C0C-8BDF-4B8F-924A-D85D4E2E8DD6_zpslejgdvu0.jpg

D10CEC7C-E209-43F6-93F6-2B4D9BFE27B2_zpsr9k2qekg.jpg

I'll bet that overhang bent down while that fret was being pressed in, so the fret never seated right. I'm surprised it didn't break. It's easier than you might imagine. I've had it happen. That's why I had Doug make me this lovely little jig...

IMG_3178_Sm_zpso2t28fzv.jpg

Screws in using the neck mounting holes, and allows you to put pressure on that overhang without risk of bending/breaking it.

You really need something like that if you're going to use an arbor press rather than a fret hammer to seat the frets because you can put a helluva lotta pressure on there without realizing it. Second neck I did using that press I broke the fretboard completely off at the 22nd fret. Fortunately, it was one of my necks and not a customer's. 1st neck was a customer's, so I really dodged a bullet on that one.

@Cagey, what is the little overhang  jig made of ?

Does it just cover the heel or is it longer ?

On the chip in the paint near the recess, I wonder if it is worth for future reference brushing some thin CA along the area of the paint edge and recess as a possible prevention to chipping.

stratamania said:
@Cagey, what is the little overhang  jig made of ?

It's just aluminum. I can't find my original drawing, but as you can see there isn't much too it. It's not obvious due to the poor lighting in these shots, but Doug made it into two pieces as that's actually easier than machining it out of one block.

IMG_3181_Sm_zps8f7m0ggd.jpg
IMG_3180_Sm_zpsrjcayxf5.jpg

stratamania said:
Does it just cover the heel or is it longer ?

It's just the heel. I use a neck support caul as a backup for the rest of the neck length...

IMG_3175_Sm_zpsh2jxvsij.jpg

stratamania said:
On the chip in the paint near the recess, I wonder if it is worth for future reference brushing some thin CA along the area of the paint edge and recess as a possible prevention to chipping.

Way ahead of you on that - already done.  Should be helpful, as there will be no finish "edge" for the trem to grab as I install it.  I barely touched it and that chip came flying off.   

BigSteve22 said:
Frank- Is that a Warmoth neck?

No sir.  I wanted a neck with a floyd shelf and no side adjust mechanism.  Had to go outside for that.  It's cold and dark out here.

fdesalvo said:
BigSteve22 said:

No sir.  I wanted a neck with a floyd shelf and no side adjust mechanism.  Had to go outside for that.  It's cold and dark out here.

Hope they have the same kind of warranty, because I think you should send that one back!

Mayfly said:
fdesalvo said:
BigSteve22 said:

Hope they have the same kind of warranty, because I think you should send that one back!

Indeed - waiting on the RMA.  Only ordered from them once and the neck was great.  I prefer working with Warmoth, but the options I want fall outside of their catalog.  I have a spare strat neck to use while I wait.  I just want them to replace a few frets.

fdesalvo said:
BigSteve22 said:
The reason I ask, is because I'm waiting to hear back from USACG regarding a neck I spec'ed out with them. Want to try a few different things which are unavailable from Warmoth: a little more radius on the compound because I play a lot of "cowboy" type chords, a "C" profile that's  slightly thicker, and a 1.650" nut that's right in the middle between 1-5/8 and 1-11/16.

Is your neck from USACG by any chance? I've heard good things about them, but have no personal experience.

???

BigSteve22 said:
fdesalvo said:
BigSteve22 said:
The reason I ask, is because I'm waiting to hear back from USACG regarding a neck I spec'ed out with them. Want to try a few different things which are unavailable from Warmoth: a little more radius on the compound because I play a lot of "cowboy" type chords, a "C" profile that's  slightly thicker, and a 1.650" nut that's right in the middle between 1-5/8 and 1-11/16.

Is your neck from USACG by any chance? I've heard good things about them, but have no personal experience.

???

It's a Musikraft neck.  USACG - I have a spotty relationship with them.  They changed ownership some time ago and the new staff is fairly green - the new foreman used a neck I ordered to help train the the new shop crew.  In the end, the neck was not built to my spec.  I also had them build and paint a strat body back in 2012.  The paint job was awful. I've seen good work come from their shop, but not for me.

BigSteve22 said:
fdesalvo said:
...I've seen good work come from their shop, but not for me.
Good to know, thanks.

Best of luck in your quest - they are capable and I'd prob take a chance on them again with a neck.  They choose really beautiful cuts of wood.  I'd just make sure that you keep on top of communications.

fdesalvo said:
Alright - neck is on its way back for a refret.  Update next year hah.
Good show. You going to send them a picture of Kevin's cool support?

Back