New Showcase Body Build Underway

Looks good so far Frank... on the Gotoh trem did you have to do anything different at all to fit the mounting bushings due to the slight size difference compared to the original Floyd ?

Note to Warmoth, you should offer a rout for the Gotoh Floyds. 

stratamania said:
Looks good so far Frank... on the Gotoh trem did you have to do anything different at all to fit the mounting bushings due to the slight size difference compared to the original Floyd ?

Note to Warmoth, you should offer a rout for the Gotoh Floyds.

Hey thanks. It's actually sitting on schaller bushings/studs. The gotohs require a 1mm larger route that warmoth won't route in a recess. It would put the holes very close to the wall of the recess, but it looks like it would just fit by a hair. 

Come to think of it, if the CNC popped the bushing holes first, then hit the recess, it would be perfect. 

I don't like where I put the toggle, it's not angled the way I prefer, may do up another guard. Warmoth does have the nicest color and pattern for tortoise.

Cheers

Ok, got you on the studs.

Anyway, the pickguard and switch position is an easy option if you go that way.

I have one of the GFS brass ones laying around.  If you want to see a photo I can post one up.

Solved the issue with the toggle angle.  Found a spare switch in my parts bin - a Dimarzio 4dpdt switch that is low profile and compact.  Love the look of it.  Only thing I may miss is the traditional toggle's ability to return to neutral with a little bump.  This switch requires a more deliberate movement.  All good.  Works for Petrucci. Going to replace black p/g screws with nickel.

34C46E9C-A9BB-4956-B304-090C6E14E3CC_zpsw7hvw6ot.jpg

B9F79BBA-4493-40BC-99FA-FB953F9A1ECD_zpsskalyoso.jpg

348A1CC3-5E2C-4F4F-91A2-52AEB7302D4D_zpsfzygvaro.jpg

Thank you. I think I'll use these going forward. I love the solid and positive throws. Feels like an s2000 shifter.

I too, prefer the traditional toggle feel over the Dimarzio EP#1111.

The only reason that I ordered it is to get the split on the inner coils while in the center position on a toggle style switch.
Other option was a 3 way blade like a Tele, but I prefer the feel of the toggle.

Yah I prefer toggles to blade switches. At lease where they are normally found on strats.

An oddity with the wiring scheme. Not able to use the ol "resistor off the single coil's hot lug on the switch to ground" trick to mimic a 250k pot. Could be the sketch, but I doubt it. With the resistor in place, the volume pot is rendered ineffective.

Ah, my first snag - and the reason why I don't think I'll ever order a showcase body meant for a recessed floyd.  Barely kissed the edge of the recess and a chip went bye-bye.  Doing a bit of a drop fill with some superglue. Will shave it down tomorrow and wetsand/buff it out.

C8B75A42-2612-4468-9FB9-D984009FC5A9_zpsm3yqiyqw.jpg

The new neck is in, but the frets don't appear to be 6150s - unless they were leveled and crowned.  Can anyone ID these?  Looks like 6230s to me, but I could be out of my mind.  The ends are certainly lovely, but the height is pretty low.  Hmm.  Anyway, lovely flame to the quartersawn maple.  2 coats of TO on her. 

14CCD021-ED9D-41FF-AA11-BE6F993CAB41_zpsbi0v8djn.jpg

That's a drag about the chip. Hopefully the super glue will hide it nicely.

Yah, I'm sure it'll be good enough for gov work. Truth is, as much as I love a shiny new guitar, I think some look great with a bit of wear and tear.

fdesalvo said:
The new neck is in, but the frets don't appear to be 6150s - unless they were leveled and crowned.  Can anyone ID these?  Looks like 6230s to me, but I could be out of my mind.  The ends are certainly lovely, but the height is pretty low.

This is a job for... <trumpet blast>... Mr. Caliper!

AtTpr.gif

Available nearly anywhere for less than $20

See that little dingus poking out the bottom? That's for measuring depth or height. It follows the opening of the caliper jaws.

Close the caliper, zero it, set the base on a fret, then slowly open it until that proboscis bottoms out on the fretboard. The display will say how far it's gone, which will be the height of the fret. Measure in several places and average what you find. Then, use the outside jaws to measure the width of the fret. Now that you know the height x width, you can identify style number. Keep in mind that there will be a little bit of variation. For instance, 6150s should measure .103" x .046", but will more likely measure .102" x .044" on average, or something like that.

A list of the likely suspects for fret sizes is here (Warmoth), or if you don't find anything close there, you can probably find it here.

If you don't own a caliper, you should order one RFN. You can measure string gauge, hole inside diameters, hole depth, distance between strings, diameter of tuner barrels, on and on. Gotta have one.

Good move on the digital caliper. I have one that I bought when they cost a whole lot more than that. I will not live without one. They like a new battery every couple years but other than that, you just keep using them.

Back