New neck/body arrived today - first timer

Miseria

I now have everything together for my first partscaster (except the courage to start drilling and burnishing haha) :)

Neck specs:
Style: Telecaster®
Construction: Vintage/Modern Construction
Orientation: Right Handed
Neck Wood: Roasted Flame Maple
Fingerboard Wood: Pau Ferro
Nut Width: 1-5/8"
Back Shape: Standard thin
Fret Size: SS6105 (Stainless)
Tuner Ream: Schaller (25/64")
Radius: 10-16" Compound
Scale: 25-1/2"
Fret #: 22
Mounting Holes: Standard 4 Bolt
Pre-Cut Installed String Nut: GraphTech White TUSQ XL - Standard Nut
Inlays: Cream Face Dots
Side Dots: White Side Dots
Finish: No Finish

Alder body in sea-foam green w/ comfort cuts.

Took me a TON of reading but I went with Cavalier Nashville/Lion King pickups. Also got a prewired Emerson 4-way switch.

Hipshot open gear locking tuners, gotoh "in-tune" bridge, mint green pickgaurd

and some pics :)

Attachments

• IMG-0536.JPG
    IMG-0536.JPG
    265.5 KB · Views: 310
  • IMG-0538.JPG
    IMG-0538.JPG
    289.1 KB · Views: 315
  • IMG-0539.JPG
    IMG-0539.JPG
    299.7 KB · Views: 357
  • IMG-0540.JPG
    IMG-0540.JPG
    298.2 KB · Views: 287
  • IMG-0541.JPG
    IMG-0541.JPG
    341.6 KB · Views: 291
  • IMG-0542.JPG
    IMG-0542.JPG
    362.8 KB · Views: 341
I also need to decide on shielding...these are true single coils. I do have some conductive paint...not sure if that is better than copper tape or not.

Beautiful body and neck. Those will make a great looking guitar. Weldcome to the forum.

I shielded my single coil build with copper tape. Can't say it's better than paint or not. Kevin says you only need to use sheilded wire on the longer runs to knock the hum. I did that in addition to the tape (probably major overkill, there) and it's dead silent.

My JM with P-rails is hum-free in single coil mode and I used copper tape so I guess the tape does some good. Perhaps on the next one, I'll do the sheilded wire only and compare.

I've never used the paint so I don't have an opinion, there.

I would use the copper shielding. I got a can of the paint but after reading the label it scared the crap out of me so I personally just copper it. Looks nice man. I would spice up the pic guard though.  :turtle:

None of that stuff is necessary, and won't reduce noise. Your single coils are gonna hum regardless, unless you have a noise cancelling system like what Suhr guitars offers.

There are certain types of interference that shielding will definitely help.

Street Avenger said:
None of that stuff is necessary, and won't reduce noise. Your single coils are gonna hum regardless, unless you have a noise cancelling system like what Suhr guitars offers.
Or, one of these......
24077-EHXOHUMDEB.jpg

Sucker works amazingly well!

Nice pieces, I hope you really enjoy those as it all comes together. I have strats and have heard all the arguments about hum inevitability but still shield what I can from the cavity to using a shielded cable and power conditioner. Sum of all parts contributing together. As quiet as possible is how I like things to run. I recently got a Electro Harmonix "Silencer" I am looking forward to trying.

musicispeace said:
...I recently got a Electro Harmonix "Silencer" I am looking forward to trying.
I've heard the "Silencer" is a good gate, as is the TC Electronic "Sentry", and I have a Boss NS-2 that I use with my OD. I like the HumDebugger because it's not a gate, no threshold or decay at all, in fact it does nothing to reduce hum caused by noisy pedals in a signal path.  It's made especially for removing single coil, EMI induced, hum.

Miseria said:
I also need to decide on shielding...these are true single coils. I do have some conductive paint...not sure if that is better than copper tape or not.
Avoid paint like it was the plague! I used copper tape to shield the Tele I sold to finance my current build. Did the star ground method and the thing was dead silent. That was the only time I used that grounding method and the guy who bought the Tele works in the office next to mine. If it hummed he would give me grief every day until I fixed the problem. Just saying the star ground method worked on that Tele.

Miseria said:

So I used shielded wires to make my connections and a little bit of copper tape in key spots and my Surf 90's are SILENT!  Honestly, I feel the copper was overkill but I needed some for grounding, the shielded wire was they key.  I just recycled a small cable from a mouse or something, I cannot recall exactly, but the gauge was right.

Back