New Guitar Day!!!

erogenousjones17

I went out shopping for an electric acoustic, and fell in love with this baby (apologies for the cell phone pic):
SSPX0396.jpg

It's a Godin 5th Avenue Kingpin. Arched cherry top, maple back, sides, and neck, rosewood fingerboard, P90 pickup. Unplugged, it's got a great midrange honk that's perfect for strummed chords, acoustic blues, jazz, and country. Plugged in, you can get everything from simple electric-acoustic sounds to great mellow jazz simply by fiddling with the tone and volume, and with a little overdrive you can get some great blues and early rock n' roll sounds. I'm in love. Plus, it's made here in Québec from Canadian woods! Talk about buying local!

that looks amazing! i was very very close to buying a cognac burst 5th avenue acoustic. then the kingpin series came out too and i couldn't decide. they're absolutely beautiful though!

Very Nice!!!  You need to take a better picture of that girl...  Your cell phone does not do her justice.
I have been looking for a new acoustic myself, so I looked this one up on line.
Really sweet looker  :glasses9:
Follow up with some experiences after you work her for awhile.  Have fun with your new axe...
:rock-on:

Godin "Montreal" is on a short list of Guitars I am currently looking into getting. Godin make some nice Guitars there in Canada, great that you can buy local.

Sweet! I was just looking at that the other day, has a lot of thing I like and good mojo kind look to it. How hard do you imagine it would be to get an acoustic pickup in it as well, though?

I was really tempted to buy one some time ago, untill I saw the youtube clips, most players sounded like "jazz mellow" while I was looking more to this kind of tone from Warren Haynes:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UauECrCIYl8

Max, what is up with your sarcasm overload? I was asking about some kind of saddle piezo pickup and how that could be wired.

Thanks for the compliments everyone. It really is a beautiful guitar (the pic doesn't do it justice, especially the sheen of the polished satin  finish).

tfarny: I don't really know much about piezos, but I would imagine that it's doable. However, I started looking around after you asked the question, and there don't seem to be that many archtop piezo bridges available. For what it's worth, the P90 is really versatile.

fernando: It's true that most people who play this guitar do go all jazzy, but it also works really well for hard strummed country chords and bottleneck licks (even though I'm probably the world's worst slide player!). That being said, it still doesn't sound like a flat top dreadnought. It definitely has a distinct archtop sound.

ErogenousJones said:
Fernando: It's true that most people who play this guitar do go all jazzy, but it also works really well for hard strummed country chords and bottleneck licks (even though I'm probably the world's worst slide player!). That being said, it still doesn't sound like a flat top dreadnought. It definitely has a distinct archtop sound.

Yeah, very hard what I want, I guess, but I'm really looking to a very restrict sound like "only dreadnought", I was looking forward to a sound more like the acoustic I'm used, not to jazz... saw this that made me think "maybe I can get it":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ddycKKR6CE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8yL1ufcZhY

Anyway, sorry for the hijacking! Hope it gets only better! :D

Well I've only had it for a day or so, but I'd have to say it can do more than jazz. I can see how it might not be what you're looking for. Incidentally, how much do Godins sell for outside Canada? I've heard they cost an arm and a leg, while here they're actually quite affordable.

tfarny said:
Sweet! I was just looking at that the other day, has a lot of thing I like and good mojo kind look to it. How hard do you imagine it would be to get an acoustic pickup in it as well, though?

You'd have to buy the guitar first and then take some measurements of the bridge and see what matches on the piezo market. Or, maybe find one in a store and see if they'll allow you take some measurements..

You could always clip the battery just underneath the f hole, and if you had to install a pre amp there'd be plenty of room under the top too. With this guitar, you have only two knobs, so you could install two extras on the other side of the f-hole (carefully) for the piezo pickup.

Fiddly job I reckon, but if well thought out before hand, hopefully no surprises.

BTW, I do like these type of hollow bodies. Stromberg (aka WD Music) have a Newport jazzer that's similar. I've always been afan of the old ES-150, I guess. I'm just not sure if my playing style would be best suited to the sound of guitars like that though. I'd imagine I'd get all jazzy (dim. 9th chords, fluid scale lines etc.)playing one of these and make a horrible job of it! :-\

Sorry, just thinking that piezos pick up vibration, magnetic pickups work on the magnetic fields, and only microphones work on actual sound. I'm sure there's a way to work a piezo system into it.

NonsenseTele said:
http://www.fishman.com/products/details.asp?id=4

7.jpg

Yeah, I guess you could use one of those, but the thought of removing the old bridge off the guitar would kinda scare me off the idea. :eek:

Back