Need tip replacing Kluson Style with Schaller M6 locking (pin or 135 deg. screw)

ryguy762008

I recently obtained a 2007 PRS McCarty Korina with Kluson Style tuners. I love the Schaller M6 series of locking tuners, which I put in all my guitars, but I have never replaced Kluson style with them before. (Please see pic attached)

I have tried to get the measurement specs from Paul Reed Smith to determine which M6 (135 degree lug or pin lock) would be best given the holes that already exist, without success.

I don't know if you will be able to help me or not, but here is my question:

Given the pre-existing screw holes for the Kluson machine heads, would I be better off with the 135 degree lug or pin lock versions? If the old and new screw holes do not line up that is ok, but I don't, for example, want to get the pin lock version and find that the location of the new hole I have to drill is so close to the pre-existing Kluson screw hole that they merge and create one big hole that is not tight.

In trying to help myself and do my own measurements, I downloaded a PDF of the pin version. Not great at reading schematics, but to my eye, it looks as thought the main hole needs to be 9.8mm and the distance from the center of the main hole to the pin is also 9.8mm. Can someone look at the attachment and confirm that?

This would be much easier if I could get the specs from PRS. Schaller does a great job with schematics, and my issue is really getting the specs or schematics for my PRS and the Kluson style tuners they use.

Given the breadth of knowledge on this forum,  I thought someone may have dealt with this issue before. Any advice you could provide would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much.

Attachments

• IMG_0293.JPG
    IMG_0293.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 358
  • M6 locking pin.pdf
    124.3 KB · Views: 204
You've got the guitar. That's better than a schematic any day.  :dontknow: Just measure it.

The distance from the center of the main hole to the center of the pin seem to be 8mm, not 9,8mm. See the image called "back view". Second image at the top from the left.
I'm pretty sure that the holes from the screws on the Kluson are further away than that from the main hole, which like Pabloman says, you should be able to easily confirm if you unscrew the Kluson and measure the distances yourself.
If you are to use the 135 degree version of the Schaller tuner, you won't be able to use the existing holes since they are at a line with the main hole, and the Schaller would therefore be positioned at an angle. And besides, it's not certain they would line up anyway as they could be closer or further away.

I think you would have better luck with the M6 Vintage.

49___m6_vintage_toplocking_rund_nickel_V1.jpg

Thanks Logrinn,

Looking at your post got me thinking about the top locking. 

Think these would be drop-ins?

http://guitar-parts.biz/hp530478/Original-G-Series-Keystone-SR-Toplocking.htm

Attachments

• 73___10490123.jpg
    73___10490123.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 309
Yes, I think they would be a drop in replacement.

But do some measurements of the existing ones just in case and compare with the ones you're planning on getting.
You never know ...

I have a set of those M-6 with the top locks on my Clapton strat and really like them a lot.  They definitely have a different look, but are much easier [IMHO] than the bottom locks.
Good luck &  :rock-on:

Back