NDD - New Dog Day

rgand

Epic Member
It's been going on 2 months since we lost our second dog, Spiritt, at age 15. A year ago we lost the other one, Tulip, at 14.
1qgq8hS.jpg

The home has been kind of vacant feeling with only one cat so yesterday we added a new furry one. A Formosan Mountain Dog with a little Dutch Shepherd mixed in. We have our hands full, now. :icon_biggrin:

Meet Hailey.
1cbsdlt.jpg

Maybe in a few months... another one?

Oh, yeah. The cat? She could care less. Yet.  :laughing11:

She's a beauty, and she landed on her feet when she got adopted into a home as kind as yours, Robert.  Glad for you and your new addition.

Thanks, guys. Everything is new for her but she takes it all in stride.

She's cautious around Dillon the cat.

ByteFrenzy said:
Rgand said:
She's cautious around Dillon the cat.

Isn't everyone cautious around cats?
At least the smart ones are.  :icon_biggrin:

Here's a photo from this morning since the one the other night didn't really show what she looks like.
1QkMyhp.jpg

Thanks, Ian. She's 6 months old, 26 lbs. She may get up to 35 lbs or so. That's somewhat smaller than what we're used to.

I can't get over how alert she looks. Like a squirrel couldn't fart within 3 miles without her knowing about it, and she's gonna find it and make friends... for a few milliseconds. Then, it's home to daddy to play tug-of-war with the carcass  :laughing7:

LOL, Kevin. You got that right, though. She sits on the deck with her head on a swivel, watching and listening to everything going on around her.

Thanks, Crash. I definitely agree with you. Our choices were Dutch Shepherd or one of these. These are like half the size and similar in personality. Less to pick up in the yard, too. :icon_biggrin:

Very cool. Nice looking dog.

We are hoping to have a "new dog day" soon.
I already filled an application at the local SPCA.
This would be my family's first dog--first real pet (I don't count the turtle).

I grew up with dogs and cats, my wife didn't and has always been resistant. My daughter is gung-ho to get one and has been on VERY good behavior over the last 6 months or so. My son is ambivalent

Now it is just a matter of finding the right one.
i'd like one that is under one year old, and medium sized. Mixed breed.
I don't want a pit bull or pit bull mix. Yeah, I know they have their defenders, but I just don't want one. It's a shame because 70% of the dogs I see in the shelter are pit bulls.

Thanks, Seamus. You'll know the right one when you see it. All the shelters around here are also full of pitbulls. You may want to look into breed or type specific rescue organizations.

My wife found ours on petfinder.com and that listing linked her to the rescue organization that had her. We'll check with that rescue when the time comes for a second one.

Back