My Roasted Soloist Eagle

Quick update... moving slow but steady... including me! I have had a pretty crazy medical and work week but hoping to make some of my own progress this weekend.

AUwc3zw.jpg

mOzPMBq.jpg

Jaw-dropping!  I hope your health is on the incline, my friend; we are going to need you to be around to wield that beast with great might.

The front eagle is finished! He first said he was going to take another couple days to think it over as he is thinking about adding some body and maybe refine some of the lines. However, he is satisfied with where things are at right now (and so am I!) so no changes. His smile and pride and artist skill really warms my heart.

OuwMwJD.jpg

tyW8DLS.jpg

Beautiful work. I like the flow he got with the wings along the body outline. Yes, he's talented.

Looks great.

I can't help imagining the eagle looking at some other creature on the bottom bout.

Bagman67 said:
stratamania said:
Looks great.

I can't help imagining the eagle looking at some other creature on the bottom bout.

Like some terrified squirrel, maybe?
I like it.

Make that the rat that ate the wiring in my wife's car and she'll be happy.

I am ecstatic about how this is turning out - my daughter completed her part! I left it wide open for her just like my son. This is perfect - it matches her tattoo which I love. The mountains tie in with the eagle as well as one of our favorite things to do together - hike in nature! The "be still" quote is the first simplified phrase of Psalm 46:10. Prayer and meditation has always been an essential part of my day, but especially now in a unique way during this medical fight phase I'm in.

Every time I pick this up, I will be inspired!!!!!

Her drawing (couldn't capture it before she started burning it in):
zPJXQt1.jpg

Working on it (and you can see her tattoo):
tSEgZHz.jpg

First phase complete:
Kavk0vR.jpg

Now working on my contributions to this axe... here are some of the backside options.

First, in this pic, for the heel plate, I'm working with DangerousR6 - his ideas are brilliant! So that's not final yet.

Second, for the cavity covers, I want all of them to match. So I had Warmoth send me three options (and I got them right away!):
1) ".09 Black Solid Matte" that matches the current back plate (easiest of all to do but plain)
2) ".1 Vintage Pearl" that matches my neck's standard cream dots without being plain and changes the feel
3) ".1 Black Pearl" that adds some flavor but keeps the colors toned down and maybe complements the chrome/black goings-on

The fourth option I'm still thinking about is making them all out of rosewood to match the neck fretboard and the vintage/modern neck back-stripe.

Last, I want to sink the new covers in just like the rear cavity cover is now. But I have no idea if that will mess with the trem operation. So I need to look more into that. Anyone have any thoughts on that?

Very open to feedback on ANY of it - and I figure I need to finish the wood first to see how the actual colors come out before I can make a final decision.

mVXz552.jpg

I'd go with the matte black covers/guard. The pearls look nice, but you're not gonna want anything trying to pull the eye away from the artwork. As for wood covers, the idea always seems to work better in the abstract than in reality, but that's just me. They seem to give the impression you're trying too hard.

There is a potential that sinking the covers would mess with the trem operation. There would have to be sufficient clearance for the trem block and the claw. You need to measure etc before committing to the idea.

I think probably black too it already looks fairly busy.

Yup--black. As Cagey said, don't distract the eye from the art-that's all the bling that piece needs! It's GREAT!!  :icon_thumright:

Great Ape said:
Yup--black. As Cagey said, don't distract the eye from the art-that's all the bling that piece needs! It's GREAT!!  :icon_thumright:

I know you like putting color in your designs - I was thinking of going plain with the oil I posted in the beginning. Any thoughts on color on this one?

Also, any thoughts on a headstock decal? No eagle, just words - a version of "On Eagle's Wings" - would love your opinion (any the other folks who pitched in great ideas).

Back