Talk me out of this Swimming pool route nonsense (?)

I don't like the swimming pool rout because I'm a traditionalist.

Not sure it sounds the same either but there's no way to prove there's a difference.

Kinda have to go with your instincts...or ask Eric Johnson. I'm sure he has an opinion.

I know he does not want a glue joint in the neck pocket and likes one piece bodies.

I do like the idea of being able to use a range of pickups. Like a Tele bridge pickup or a bridge humbucker. Or two humbuckers.

Personally, i think a neck fit extremely well to the neck pocket with zero slop couples the sound of the neck and body and results in a sound, resonance and sustain that might benefit the guitar even more.

Last edited:
I don't like the swimming pool rout because I'm a traditionalist.

Not sure it sounds the same either but there's no way to prove there's a difference.

Kinda have to go with your instincts...or ask Eric Johnson. I'm sure he has an opinion.

I know he does not want a glue joint in the neck pocket and likes one piece bodies.

I do like the idea of being able to use a range of pickups. Like a Tele bridge pickup or a bridge humbucker. Or two humbuckers.

Personally, i think a neck fit extremely well to the neck pocket with zero slop couples the sound of the neck and body and results in a sound, resonance and sustain that might benefit the guitar even more.
Ressonance and sustain are two opposite things. The more a guitar body or neck resonates, the less sustain there will be.
And the mythology perpetuated for decades concerning electric guitars hs really gotten old and annoying. There zero adverse affects of a universal ("swimming pool") pickup route. There is no "mojo" in that tiny bit of wood that the pickups are going to send to the amplifier. And there is no benefit to tradition. Enough of the nonsense already.

Schecter Nick Johnston for context. Came in to have custom Lambettone pickups installed, along with a custom Bournes volume and a push/pull tone to switch between two different capacitor values. Upon opening her up, found a default pool route.

Attachments

• IMG_3758.jpeg
    IMG_3758.jpeg
    473.1 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_3749.jpeg
    IMG_3749.jpeg
    422 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_3751.jpeg
    IMG_3751.jpeg
    603.4 KB · Views: 5
Ressonance and sustain are two opposite things. The more a guitar body or neck resonates, the less sustain there will be.
And the mythology perpetuated for decades concerning electric guitars hs really gotten old and annoying. There zero adverse affects of a universal ("swimming pool") pickup route. There is no "mojo" in that tiny bit of wood that the pickups are going to send to the amplifier. And there is no benefit to tradition. Enough of the nonsense already.
I'll believe what I have experienced. You go ahead and believe whatever you want to. Just be nice about it.

I have a strat with a swimming pool route. I did order the route for the versatility, then I bought a pickguard from Fralen, normal strat, sss. I would like to one day get a Charlie christian CC and I can put it anywhere I want as long as I can find or cut a pickguard, could even slant the cc.

I agree there is no point to argue about facts and science. When I post my opinion I'm pretty clear that it does not in any way represent "facts and science". Obviously I never had any of my opinions get published in a journal or peer reviewed. I leave the scientific investigation to others.

Fortunately Aaron has made a really good effort to study the effects:

Last edited:
There is no reason to make a modern guitar with anything other than a universal route. Vintage spec should match the spec they are replicating.

I agree with this POV. I think at this point there are enough builders who also agree (including boutique builders like Don Grosh) that it's worth thinking about when doing your own build.

What do you value more, the flexibility of a universal rout, or your perception of how it changes the sound? The beautiful part is that Warmoth has an option for whichever you choose.

Back