My Roasted Soloist Eagle

Parts came in, woot! I think they are perfect. I've never felt a lighter guitar body. It was 3.1 lbs prior to them shaving out the pickup holes and the rear battery hole.

Now I have my son working on drawing and woodburning the eagle on the front. I've decided to do direct-mount - will show you why - so the whole front is his canvas. My daughter will draw and woodburn quotes and other things in other areas.

SO EXCITED!!

LuicvRC.jpg

aXl1zzV.jpg

nIB7kRF.jpg

pHvFZL8.jpg

So, these pics show what ended the debate about using a pickguard. (I might still want to mount a clear one just to keep the art from being scratched - we'll see.)

It would be very simple to trim the strat pickguard to fit the front. But look where the 2nd hole is on the front - won't work.

GkSabRX.jpg

The back shows more of the story. Again, simple to trim but the rear cavity on the Soloist does not fit how a strat pickguard would be wired. The 5-way switch hole is in the same spot but not where the holes are. A blank pickguard with carefully selected holes would work, but not for mine where I already have the holes cut.

8P16ykj.jpg

It'll be fun to see how your kids do on it. I think it's really cool that they get to add their creativity to it. :icon_thumright:

I have also decided not to go with the trem cover battery. I will be using this one in the "double battery box" hole. I will create a black cover for the hole, cut a small hole in it for the plug, and attach the plug and battery pack in the hole. Then the power wire will go through to the rear cavity where the Acoustiphonic preamp will be located.

oMOksmP.jpg

SuIFse4.jpg

Okay... quick update... ALL of my parts are in - WOOT! So it's time to go to work on the build.

Unfortunately, I don't really know if my son will ever actually do the art thing on the front. I may have to figure out another way... we'll see!

Okay... well, I was wrong on the 16th! He got motivated today and started in - here are some pics of the current draft stage...

Rwd7L41.jpg

MUvm8LY.jpg

cKJgH3w.jpg

RgDCrin.jpg

Lookin' good!

I'm curious - is there some significance to using a blue pencil, or was that just what was handy?

Cagey said:
Lookin' good!

I'm curious - is there some significance to using a blue pencil, or was that just what was handy?

Good question! He didn't like doing it in pencil because it was harder to see. I expect that once burned in black, the blue won't stick around. If so, I can erase any leftovers like a pencil mark and then sand it out completely. In any case... We'll See!

You don't have to run the magnetic pups through the preamp. Their output goes to the switch along with the preamp output and you can still use the one output jack and a stereo cable.

Son's progress is coming along nicely! It's a surprise for me to behold - and it's making me very happy!

9TuOwZb.jpg

OFlXx9j.jpg

Back