My first Warmoth order + my first paint job AS WELL

C

Cederick

Hi, I'm from Sweden and this is my first post here.  :icon_biggrin:

I ordered a basswood soloist body with maple/rosewood neck, and what's stupid is that this is actually the
first time I ever try to paint a guitar. I could have practiced on something cheaper but what the hell... I just wanted
to go for it!

However, I will repaint it soon. I used olympic white and matte laquer and that's because it was the only paint available at the guitar shop when I bought the sprays... I don't like it. I want alpine white with blank laquer, so we can consider the first paint job a practice, in the end :)

Looks pretty great from this perspective! :D
2rq0pw8.jpg

Here we can see a little ding I made on the edge before painting... Basswood is ridicolously fragile!!! Never basswood for me again.
34oyez8.jpg

Looks like near-pro paint job on this pic haha
358ops4.jpg

And the headstock featuring my own name, with letters cutout from a magazine so it's a bit bumpy, but I like that!
smzwuh.jpg

However, I don't think I'm entirerly satisfied with Warmoths customer support.
I obviously order black face dots, NOT cream face dots as you can see on the picture.
I ordered that because I didn't want a completely empty neck, I'm not used to that, but I wanted it to look "clean" from a distance.

4ugayq.jpg

Now, I mailed them TWICE about this, I didn't get a response. Why not?
However, I'm not really dissapointed either, I didn't actually pay anything for the option but there's no reason not to answer my mail. I didn't use any bad language, I didn't even wanted my money back, I just wanted to see why they didn't made my neck as I wanted to.

This doesn't bother me too much, and I have plans for another order right now :) this time I wont go through the painfully long process of painting it myself, I just want a guitar ready for assamble and play! But more about that when I can afford it  :party07:

Welcome aboard and nice job on your guitar.
Don't be ashamed of any of it. It looks great!
I think we all start out here thinking the paint job would be the easy part. :icon_scratch:
Then we see how un-easy it really is and go from there.
It's called 'The learning process'
My guess is that if you hang around here long, you will either learn a lot about how to paint, or you'll learn that one of the real secrets about Warmoth is they do incredible paint jobs too!

As for the inlays. ???
Can't explain.

:rock-on:

Welcome! That's unfortunate about the inlays. I'm sure it's just the force of habit for them to do a contrasting color inlay, but that seems odd that they wouldn't reply to your e-mails  :dontknow:

Cool guitar, though! Do you know yet what you want to do for your next build?

My next Warmoth build will be THIS! Maybe not look like much for other people but I drool the shit over it. I play old school speed/power metal a lot and this would satisfy all my needs!
11mar7q.jpg

Mahogny hardtail strat with a volume knob that's not in the way of my pinky finger, Gibson 500T in the bridge and something else in the neck... Only a volume knob, and an LP style switch in the lowest control hole. :D

So how much do my dream strat go for? ONLY $900! I thought I miscalculated something, but I have double checked many times, and it's a better price than anything else on the market. Of course it would be a little more expensive if
And I will let Warmoth paint the fudger too!!!  :toothy10:

Here's the mahogany strat bodies in the showcase: http://www.warmoth.com/showcase/#!/Guitar/Body/?&bs=1&cw=3&sort=Price&pg=1&rpp=100
There aren't any exactly like what you put together there, but if you swap for a trem & just never use it you'll have almost the same thing.  The first available body is $169 at the time of this post (no hardware or paint yet).

Nice first build. Great job on the finish it looks like. Going to start my first finish job in a few months once it warms up and i have the funds. It's a cheap kit body for me though so i don't screw up too bad  :)

Nice looking choice on the second build,, and if it's what you need it's what you need. So congrats for that =]

AutoBat said:
Here's the mahogany strat bodies in the showcase: http://www.warmoth.com/showcase/#!/Guitar/Body/?&bs=1&cw=3&sort=Price&pg=1&rpp=100
There aren't any exactly like what you put together there, but if you swap for a trem & just never use it you'll have almost the same thing.  The first available body is $169 at the time of this post (no hardware or paint yet).
Yeah, ALMOST the same thing, but it's not what I'm looking for. I have looked around a lot and sometimes there's a trem, or knobs up too high for my liking, or binding on the sides, or just about anything else that is something that I simply doesn't want. Not that I neccesarely dislike the feature, but for my dream strat that is just want I want. I just have to sell my electric drum kit and then I can afford it :)

SolomonHelsing said:
Nice first build. Great job on the finish it looks like. Going to start my first finish job in a few months once it warms up and i have the funds. It's a cheap kit body for me though so i don't screw up too bad  :)

Nice looking choice on the second build,, and if it's what you need it's what you need. So congrats for that =]
Once it warms up, like in weather? I'm in the situation that I think it's too cold to go outside to paint now, no snow yet but it's coming right around the corner. So I'll have to wait until summer so I can finish my first one completely :)

Cederick said:
Once it warms up, like in weather? I'm in the situation that I think it's too cold to go outside to paint now, no snow yet but it's coming right around the corner. So I'll have to wait until summer so I can finish my first one completely :)
Yes exactly that, It's just starting to ice the pavements here so i'm pretty damn sure i can't start any paint spraying now haha. That and no funds to but come march/april time ill have plenty and probably will save up for the better parts till then  :)

That's probably the good thing about bad season, I will do the same and save up for nicer materials/parts but still paint it myself.  :cool01: Otherwise I would have bought a poplar body already but I wont do that :toothy12:

I had help from a friend seting up my fudging Floyd... Couldn't stand doing it myself!!! Argh!!!

But now, really it's a GREAT guitar, and it hasn't even been intonated yet (who wouldn't dare go into that, only making it stay in tune hahaha)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oV0PNw9S4EM

Keep practicing laddie, and digital recorders will be too slow to catch your playing!!! HOLY CRAP!!!! :hello2:

Haha thanks for the comments  :icon_biggrin:

I've noticed that being a total noob with the trem I tend to play with it all the time, I've begun recording some stuff with it (it actually works great for not yet being perfectly intonated) and I tend to make a LOT of floyd shit in the solos. But of course playing for all my life and almost never touching even a strat trem the floyd is a new fun thing to play with.
I just gotta be careful to not get into that zone of being a hopeless tremoholic

If the body you want is routed for any trem - you can always just order it 6 hole and block it with wedges. I have my VS100 blocked with Mahogany wedges. And I don't miss the tremolo sproings interacting with my piezos. (I have Graphtech Ghost saddles, and currently run them blended with the magnetic pickups for body interaction at medium volumes)

You could also leave it unrouted, block and drill it yourself for a flatmount, but I haven't done that yet.

Hmmm, sorry but I don't really get your post... The warmoth is finished :) as you can see in the video.

The upcoming guitar was supposed to be a Warmoth order, but I actually decided to go by a near-by Swedish luthier because I wanted a neck through...

Back