Mooncaster

rauchman

Greetings,

I have a fascination with the Mooncaster.  Keep toying with having one built.

Some Mooncaster questions...
Is it the exact same body shape as a StarCaster?  The Mooncaster looks more stretched out, while the StarCaster looks stubby.
Is it a flat top or arch top?
How is the upper fret access?
Anyone order one without a finish and make their own?  Would love to see some pics
How is the balance?  I have a Gibson Midtown and I find it wants to neck dive
How are the ergo's?  Again, referencing the Midtown, while it's probably my best sounding guitar and may have the easiest upper fret access I've yet encountered, I've come to the realization it's ergo's don't work great for me.  The Mooncaster, being an asymmetrical design, looks like it would be easier to be comfortable with

And....please post pics of your Mooncaster!

The Mooncaster body is smaller than the Starcaster body. It is a carved top with a double lam top.

This will answer none of your questions :laughing7:, but this guy does go over the specs of his Mooncaster, and it is fun to see one in action :icon_thumright:
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQ2915d_o6I[/youtube]

The Aaron said:
The Mooncaster body is smaller than the Starcaster body. It is a carved top with a double lam top.

Perfect!  Thank you!  Hope all is well in your corner of Corona world Aaron.

I've had two Mooncaster bodies pass through my hands for friends' builds (as well as another Starcaster copy by another company and several actual Fender Starcasters), not owned one myself but I'll throw in what I can

rauchman said:
How is the balance?
Depends where you put the front strap button and what neck you put on it. Both the Mooncaster bodies I worked on were paired with Warmoth Pro necks—one was all-maple, the other was mahogany & ebony IIRC—and both felt neck-heavy before we put the strap on, so we ended up putting the front strap button a little higher up the front bout on both. On the other Starcasters, which all had regular necks as far as I can remember, everything balances 'fine'. Warmoth's body being that bit smaller and their Pro necks being so much heavier is pretty evidently a potential problem for balance. Use a Vintage Modern or Vintage neck and it should be fine.

How are the ergo's?
Really nice sat down, just as any offset guitar is. Actually preferable to the full-size Starcaster bodies, IIRC, though I do always favour slightly smaller hollow bodies anyway, e.g. ES-339. It's not as offset as something like a Jazzmaster or Jaguar, more along the lines of a Mustang. Stood up, I wish Starcasters/Mooncasters hung a little further to my fretting side, as it is they hang very centrally so I find I'm reaching over to the left (being a right-handed player) a bit more than I'd like. But it's not a massive difference from say, an ES-338.

Ace Flibble said:
I've had two Mooncaster bodies pass through my hands for friends' builds (as well as another Starcaster copy by another company and several actual Fender Starcasters), not owned one myself but I'll throw in what I can

rauchman said:
How is the balance?
Depends where you put the front strap button and what neck you put on it. Both the Mooncaster bodies I worked on were paired with Warmoth Pro necks—one was all-maple, the other was mahogany & ebony IIRC—and both felt neck-heavy before we put the strap on, so we ended up putting the front strap button a little higher up the front bout on both. On the other Starcasters, which all had regular necks as far as I can remember, everything balances 'fine'. Warmoth's body being that bit smaller and their Pro necks being so much heavier is pretty evidently a potential problem for balance. Use a Vintage Modern or Vintage neck and it should be fine.

How are the ergo's?
Really nice sat down, just as any offset guitar is. Actually preferable to the full-size Starcaster bodies, IIRC, though I do always favour slightly smaller hollow bodies anyway, e.g. ES-339. It's not as offset as something like a Jazzmaster or Jaguar, more along the lines of a Mustang. Stood up, I wish Starcasters/Mooncasters hung a little further to my fretting side, as it is they hang very centrally so I find I'm reaching over to the left (being a right-handed player) a bit more than I'd like. But it's not a massive difference from say, an ES-338.

Outstanding info!  Thank you!

Back