Mooncaster with other body comparison...pic request

rauchman

Greetings,

I'm slowly starting to plan out a new build, and as of right now, I have my mind set on a Mooncaster.  I find this body intriguing.  I understand it's dimensionally a little smaller than the StarCaster from Fender, which I like.

Was wondering if any Mooncaster owners could post some pics of their Mooncaster along side of another guitar (Strat, Tele, LP, etc) to get a size comparison relative to another guitar.

For you Mooncaster owners, how is the upper register access?  The lower horn looks similar to a Tele cut?  Has one tried installing mini hb's/firebird pickups in one?  I know some of the dimensions get a little wonky on these pickup sizes, was wondering if anyone ran into issues with pickup mounting plates.

I made this graphic awhile ago from RAW photos taken by the photography department. The Red is a Mooncaster, the Blue is a Velocity, and the Yellow is a Strat. Maybe it will help.

Attachments

• overlay.jpg
    overlay.jpg
    229 KB · Views: 124
Wolff05 said:
I made this graphic awhile ago from RAW photos taken by the photography department. The Red is a Mooncaster, the Blue is a Velocity, and the Yellow is a Strat. Maybe it will help.

Very helpful.....thanks!

ragamuffin said:
Wow, it's definitely smaller than I imagined!

Agree.  Looks like they are generally the same size with some dimensional shifts.  I've briefly played a StarCaster at GC, and the body was noticeably bigger.

rauchman said:
ragamuffin said:
Wow, it's definitely smaller than I imagined!

Agree.  Looks like they are generally the same size with some dimensional shifts.  I've briefly played a StarCaster at GC, and the body was noticeably bigger.

Yep...the Mooncaster body is quite a bit smaller than a Starcaster.

I took these measurements from an actual Mooncaster I built for another member, so as to be able to find a case.

I'm pretty sure it's exactly the same size as a Starcaster. Warmoth is licensed to manufacture Fender parts, so they have no reason to fudge specs to avoid lawsuits.

But, so you know...

upper bout width = 10 3/4"
waist width = 9"
lower bout width = 14"
body length = 18"
thickest point including TOM bridge ~3"
overall length w/ Strat neck = 38 1/2"

It's sort of an offset design so it's difficult to measure exactly, but those numbers should be good within 1/4".

Good luck finding a case. Close as I can tell, you can't get there from here, and I've looked extensively. You're probably going to end up with an oversized case that you'll have to stuff with pillows or something. But, while trying to find a case for my L5S, I found these actual dimensions for a Gibson ES339 which is basically a smaller ES335. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear as though Gibson wants to sell individual cases, although they will tell you who private labels for them if you've won the lottery lately...

es-339.jpg

In review, I see that's no help for what you asked  :laughing7:

But, during that same period, I found that if you wanna have a case made, you can save some by going to a vendor that'll make rectangular cases to suit (see Anvil, et al) then cutting some form fitting foam to keep it from swimming around . There are case makers that'll make a form-fitting case that'll match it up exactly, but they're kinda pricey, being one-offs (See Gibson case supplier).

Cagey said:
I'm pretty sure it's exactly the same size as a Starcaster.

upper bout width = 10 3/4"
waist width = 9"
lower bout width = 14"
body length = 18"

The Starcaster body is roughly 10% wider and 5% longer than a Mooncaster:

upper bout width = 11 1/2"
waist width = 10"
lower bout width = 15 1/2"
body length = 19"

Hey I just saw this thread but I can take pictures of my mooncaster next to my strat tomorrow for you. I have a 97 USA deluxe strat and an incredible green mooncaster that I love more than life itself.

I am a huge fan of the mooncaster and the one warmoth built for me. you can click on my profile to see pictures of it. I went with the warmoth headstock though since the mooncaster one is so wild haha. The warmoth headstock looks awesome. I think the other similar one would too - the vortex? I think?

Back