michigan ash

vtpcnk

is michigan ash northern ash?

would it has as much pores/grain as swamp ash?

there is an ebay seller selling some boards of michigan ash - need to know if it would be good testing material for pore/grain filling.

http://cgi.ebay.com/3-THIN-BLACK-ASH-BOARDS-1-4-lumber-wood-crafts_W0QQitemZ250390506629QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item250390506629&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

If you're just testing your finishing methods, I'd think it should be fine. It's just going to be much heavier than swamp ash, but the general surface texture should be similar.

the guy is suggesting oak instead of ash - because he says that has more open grain.

is that a right step towards finishing swamp ash - or should i still go for michigan ash?

yesterday i was at home depot and the guy there said pine was the softest wood he had and might be similar to swamp ash.

any ideas?

Oak will be heavy and to me the pores are even larger than Ash. The pine might work but it's a pain dealing with the pitch. Pine may also be too soft. It may be difficult to avoid those little dings while your building. In my humble opinion you'd be better off with the Ash.

>The pine might work but it's a pain dealing with the pitch. Pine may also be too soft. It may be difficult to avoid those little dings while your >building

i'm not sure what you mean by the above.

i'm just looking for some wood (say pine) to practice my pore/grain filling. and NOT building a guitar with it.

i want some practice at pore/grain filling so that i'll be ready (at whatever level) when i get the unfinished swamp ash tele body from warmoth.

Sorry. My mistake I thought you wanted to make a body out of Pine or Oak. I've worked with Ash from New Hampshire and Swamp Ash. I found them to be very similar as far as grain filling goes. If you just want practice wood I think Oak will work for you.

Back