Anybody Tried These?

JaySwear said:
wow! those are some awesome looking parts... i actually ended up ordering some wooden knobs, pickup rings, and a 3 way toggle switch cap at www.pickuprings.com so i'm all set... but these knobs are making me think twice. thanks for the site! i'm headed there now!

Have you received your parts from pickuprings.com yet.  If so, how do you like them?  ???

i haven't yet. he told me he was pretty backed up trying to set up some NAMM guitars, but i'll be sure to let you know! i'm excited, and his prices are very reasonable. it was $90 for 2 wooden knobs, a 3 way toggle tip, and 2 tapered pickup rings (meant to fit a PRS). you can find knobs and things for fairly low prices individually, but i was hoping by ordering everything together it would make sure everything matched well and ended up the same color and finish.

just from emailing back and forth with him, though, i'd already recommend them. he answered any and all questions i had really quickly

JaySwear said:
i haven't yet. he told me he was pretty backed up trying to set up some NAMM guitars, but i'll be sure to let you know! i'm excited, and his prices are very reasonable. it was $90 for 2 wooden knobs, a 3 way toggle tip, and 2 tapered pickup rings (meant to fit a PRS). you can find knobs and things for fairly low prices individually, but i was hoping by ordering everything together it would make sure everything matched well and ended up the same color and finish.

just from emailing back and forth with him, though, i'd already recommend them. he answered any and all questions i had really quickly

Hey,  I was interested because I too have an order in with John.  I ordered 2 humbucker rings, 3 speed knobs, and a LP 3-way toggle knob; all in jet black ebony. 
He told me he had the humbucker rings in stock, but would be 2 weeks to custom make the knobs.  I sent him the Paypal payment on March 13. 
Finally after many emails back and forth, I  convinced him to send me the humbucker rings which were supposed to be already in stock. 
I received them this week, nearly 3 months after payment.  He tells me it will be the end of July before he will have time to make the knobs because he is so busy getting ready for NAMM.

I also asked about making a custom neck.  He sent me a quote for $650.00 for the neck, guaranteeing that he makes the best rock maple necks available.  A week later he sent me an email stating, sorry, can't do the neck, too busy.
Upon finally receiving the humbucker rings I asked him if he could recommend anybody that would have time to do a custom neck.  I want a cocobolo neck and Warmoth will not use that wood. 
He replied that he could not recommend anybody, but he now could make me a custom neck for $1000.00.  His claim was that he really needed the money to use for parts for his NAMM builds. 
I was afraid to ask when I might receive this neck that he wanted me to put out $1000.00.

Mr. Guilford is obviously a very talented luthier.  If you check out his web page, you will see some outstanding work.  That being said, I am very frustrated with the way he conducts his business. 
I believe in honesty and feel that he has let his parts business go to hell and demonstrated great disrespect to those customers.  Integrity is everything in my eyes.  Don't make promises you can't keep!

Anyway, I wish John the best of luck in his guitar business, but I wish he would be honest with his parts customers and not lead them on just for the almighty dollar!!!    :tard: :sad1: :dontknow:  :sad1:  :tard:

wow! i'll keep that in mind. i think i made my order about 2 weeks ago, and he told me 2 months. i'm hoping that's pretty accurate, because i think i'll have my warmoth order before then, so i guess i'll see. i might have to order some plastic parts while i'm waiting for my wooden ones.

and thats insane about the neck. jumping from $650 to $1000, when he most likely wouldn't be able to get any progress made on the neck anyway with his schedule

my only hope is that the maple parts i ordered should be pretty easy. hopefully he's got plenty of maple, and has a second to throw some logs into a CNC machine sometime, and then throw some tung oil at them and ship them.  :-\  i guess i'll be finding out in a few weeks.

how were the pickup rings you got?

The rings look o.k.  I have not installed them yet to see how they fit, but all appears well on the surface.  I will let you know when I install and also if I receive any parts.

I was just reading your post regarding your Hipshot bridge.  I have not heard of these; they look to be quite the thang!  Is there no modification to be done to the body for install [i.e. extra holes to drill]?  :icon_scratch:

That really, really, sucks about your job loss.  :tard: :tard: :tard:  Sorry to hear that news and I hope you find something soon!  Man, the times are hard right now.  I feel very lucky to have not been effected by the economy.

Best of luck!  Hang in there and don't stop rockin'  Music does sooth the troubled soul...
:rock-on:

it's a really cool little piece of hardware! i think 2 screws have to be screwed into the body (most of the reason i wanted a cheap-o body to put it on) but they may be covered up by the back of a strat tremolo if somebody wanted to switch back to the old bridge. the front of it anchors on the strat's tremolo studs, so there don't need to be any screws in the front.

and the job definitely sucks, but it was just a part time thing. it definitely hurts to not have a paycheck, no matter how small though. my only problem is i don't live near ANYTHING and i hate the commute haha but i'll have to get something soon or i'll be in trouble when my VIP ships and it's all charged at once.

a little bit of an update, i asked if it would be possible to throw in a third maple knob for my build, and he said since he's been so busy working on NAMM guitars he would throw in a 3rd knob for free! this man knows how to do business, even if my order's been taking forever  :icon_biggrin:  thats a hell of a deal in my book

Back