Meanwhile, at Warmoth...Paypal has arrived.

Fat Pete said:
Cederick said:
I don't see the good thing in this, because Paypal will take their fee for the purchase, so you will still save money by paying like always before?  :dontknow:

Paypal may operate differently depending where you are. There's no fee for the buyer here in the UK. That said, for international payments they factor a percentage in to the exchange rate; about 3%, which is more than any of my credit cards charge for foreign transactions. You just don't see it as a separate amount on your statement.

HSBC have charged me a non-Sterling transaction fee, as well as money exchange rates which seem to be a little on the err.. 'pessimistic' side.

Mind you Paypal do the latter as well.

I would say someone making a nice profit on all this, but then I remember the good old days of pre-pay pal....

--shudder--

Our decision to abandon PayPal after our 6 month experiment with them came down to money, pure and simple. They were charging us a rate far above the rate we get from our CC companies, and they were completely uninterested in negotiating with us for a better rate. It was either their way, or the highway. We chose the latter.

Kostas said:
The good thing about Paypal is you can't lose your money.

Bullshit.

I bought something on eBay paid with PayPal. Item was never sent. PayPal ruled in my favor, then told me that they put a freeze on the account so it couldn't be used, but there was no money in the account so they couldn't give me a refund. As soon as there was money in the account, they would reimburse me. Read that again. Once the FROZEN ACCOUNT had more money in it, they'd reimburse me.

And to top it off? They kept the fee they made off the transaction.

Paypal will screw buyers an sellers equally.

I've used Paypal to receive payment for selling stuff via eBay. They hold the payment for something like two weeks following the sale, ostensibly to verify that the buyer receives the item. That I can almost stomach, but then when I finally get the money into my Paypal account, they want another 2–3 business days to send it to my bank account. That's 17 days they're earning interest on my money, yet they still want me to pay them 3% or something for the privilege? Forget that.

Fortunately for me I've had good luck with paypal. Pretty much the only issue I've had was when i sold a very expensive guitar years ago. And because of the amount of the funds sent to me, they made me change to a business account. But a perk of it was a atm card I was afforded with the account. So i can get my money as soon as it's sent to me. But as with anything of such, it has it's pros and cons, and like every other company they're in business to make money (not that I'm taking their side). :dontknow:

geezbill said:
Just configured a neck was ready to checkout and Boom!  no PayPal accepted. Oh well.

Well, this thread is a zombie and the reson for abandoning pay pal was given on the same page as your post.

just letting it be known an order was not made because of this. Warmoth should know how many orders are not made because of this. Just a helpful FYI to them

Back