Warmoth not an innovation leader anymore?

The machine is used so much that the down time of taking it out to replace it with a newly designed machine would have a seriously detrimental effect on production.

Sounds to me like Warmoth is risking a bit with this. What if this machine goes wrong? I know every big production is very dependent on the machines/people and some other conditions. But from my little experience in factory production - it is never good not to have any backup.

Jumble Jumble said:
I've just read your first post again. To sum up, you started with needs and desires that coincided with Warmoth's business model - quite basic with some customisation and nice options, and very good quality. Over the years, your needs and desires have become more exotic, and you're frustrated that Warmoth's not changed their target market or business model to accommodate your new preferences.

I've gotta say, it seems a lot like someone buying a Volkswagen, being really happy with it, and then getting interested in performance supercars over the next few years - and then, when it comes to time to buy that supercar, they're frustrated that Volkswagen doesn't make one*.

The stuff you want is available, just not from Warmoth, because it's not what Warmoth do, and not the market that Warmoth are aiming at.

* yes I know about the Veyron etc. Don't get pedantic please guys. Bear with me, it's just an illustration.

Well,

yes - in a nutshell you've described my situation pretty well. I'm aware about Volkswagen as well what Ferrari or McLaren can offer. But... when I first bought Warmoth - at that time it was Ferrari'ish to me. Why? Because all of the options I wanted and at that time nobody even most expensive gibsons or fenders wouldn't offer these. It felt great to have high quality guitar for that price. Warmoth for me was a symbol of the company which is not affraid to introduce new things. So it came to me naturally that I asked some more options and was expecting positive answer or at least that they will introduce it next year because they are testing it or something. But they just say no. Seems to me like Volkswagen that once did class leading hatchbacks or mid-size semi-luxury cars would say - no, we won't put a sat-nav or xenon lights in our cars - go elsewhere to have it. As I stated before - I don't think that baked wood or different compound radius is something extremely costly to produce - nothing why I should go buy Ferrari instead my beloved Volkswagen. Yes, Volkswagen won't offer me whole carbon-fiber bodyshell. But I don't want a body made from metal or anything crazy.

cooler23 said:
Maybe I got it all wrong - maybe Warmoth is a Toyota of the guitar parts business and there's nothing bad about it. But I wish they had this Lexus divison, maybe a different brand name - more exclusive with sheer amount of options where nothing is impossible and still being the guitar parts company way less expensive then Suhr or Fender Custom Shop.
If you want a luxury parts shop, and you don't even care if it's called "Warmoth", I think you're on your way to a solution. Just go to another shop, like Carvin or whoever. Why does it need to be somehow associated with Warmoth? How about if Warmoth just buy Carvin, would that do?

The question is - how do you become Aston Martin of the guitar parts market?
My question to you is - why don't Ford, VW and Toyota all become Aston Martins too?

Man I can't believe that this thread is still going.

In my 30+ years of engineering, manufacturing etc, those that are the most verbose and want to argue their points generally know the least.

The guitar industry is full of lethargy, PERIOD.  Truly, what do most people want?  The guitars of their youth, WHY?  Some will say it that is THE tone, some want the look, for some it is comfort etc.  Warmoth excels at producing quality guitar components for the masses at truly remarkable prices.  Fact. 

If Warmoth was to engineer / CNC program / produce one offs, the price would be similar to a full custom, while ALL OTHER component prices would increase due to production interruptions / set up costs / engineering burden etc.

It is not fair to say W should do this or that, IF they don't and you are not happy go somewhere else, just don't argue the point for sake to be heard or your entertainment.  This thread has had a troll motive to it from the beginning, spend your time understanding manufacturing practices / true costs / burdens / over heads / inventory etc instead of arguing. Period.

Argue with what he says (or don't) but don't tell him not to say it. Cooler23 has been perfectly civil and doesn't need to be told to shut up. Just don't read the thread if you don't like the content.

@cooler23,  What I meant about positive statements is though your intention may be positive it isn't coming across to all as such.

As for the rest Jumble Jumble summed it up pretty well I think.

Jumble Jumble said:
Argue with what he says (or don't) but don't tell him not to say it. Cooler23 has been perfectly civil and doesn't need to be told to shut up. Just don't read the thread if you don't like the content.

Thank you Jumble Jumble : )

If you want a luxury parts shop, and you don't even care if it's called "Warmoth", I think you're on your way to a solution. Just go to another shop, like Carvin or whoever. Why does it need to be somehow associated with Warmoth? How about if Warmoth just buy Carvin, would that do?

Maybe I was just emotional about my old beloved Volkswagen... ehm.. I mean Warmoth strat :) I will definitely look at what you've suggested. Thanks : )

My question to you is - why don't Ford, VW and Toyota all become Aston Martins too?

If you look at it - many of them are trying very hard. But not under their brand names but some others. But to get to this high-class club is tough one... But to me all of the companies are trying to get as high as possible in the eyes of their customers.

stratamania said:
@cooler23,  What I meant about positive statements is though your intention may be positive it isn't coming across to all as such.

As for the rest Jumble Jumble summed it up pretty well I think.

Oh, now I get it. Sorry for my misunderstanding. Well my English is not very good ;-)

Yes I think as well that Jumble Jumble and you have summed it up great. Thanks to you both and all of the folks in the thread for your opinions and suggestions : )

We are all, except for those who may have actually worked at Warmoth, flying blind in our suggestion as to why Warmoth won't do this or that.

I have struck similar frustrations, as far back as 2002. Venture off the regular hardware, routing setups and you really have to double check that all will be done.

It may be the quirks within their formats or they may have very good reasons for not doing one thing but another within a  range of options, but I do know from first hand experience, it can be oh-so infuriatingly frustrating when you hit the brick wall in your plans and try to work around an issue. To that extent I do have empathy with the OP and his plans for a more adventurous project. It's happened to me.

Luckily for him, though, he has asked before the expenditure has started on a project and he doesn't seem stuck with orphaned necks, bodies, electronics or hardware.

Eh. My argument is, as it has always been, that there are other 'replacement parts' companies which do offer these options OP is asking for. Which means A) if you want it, rather than complain to Warmoth, you can just buy from one of those other companies instead, and B) there really isn't much excuse for Warmoth to not offer these things anyway.

I maintain that Warmoth makes the best bodies around with the most options. When it comes to necks, though, their options are severely lacking in comparison to other companies and the objective quality isn't up to par, either. The fact that other companies do exist and do provide these things at a higher level of quality completely blows every argument in favour of Warmoth out the water. Warmoth = bodies. Everybody else = necks. Warmoth = pull your finger out and keep up.

Funny, I have never had an issue with a warmoth neck. I started buying them a decade before I ever bought a body. I have replaced quite a few fender necks with warmoth ones.
What got me deciding to come to warmoth for the body is the necks
now as said, some guys might want what is not offered, but then that is true of any company of any product
Warmoth has my business because of past experience and for customer support. They have always backed any problem I had. which was one.
So the debate goes on,

I will say what I have seen from warmoth over the years

they started small, have grown at a rate that they can support and never tried to go to so big they lost quality

what they offer today is loads over what was offered a few years back and they are looking to keep growing

they know their product so well it comes out great with very little problems

they are not looking to flood the market, they take steps they can do and maintain quality

If you cannot respect that, you are looking for a flash in the pan

Back