Meanwhile, at Warmoth...35% OFF Clearance Sale on Regal Necks and Royale Bodies

aarontunes

Somewhere in the middle of nowhere.
Staff member
12493586_10154527587883289_3326682895821722167_o.jpg

Announcing the Warmoth 35% OFF "New Year" Clearance Sale! For a limited time, every Regal neck and Royale body in our In-Stock Showcase is 35% off! Custom options and upgrades on sale items are 10% off. This sale applies only to in-stock items, and is limited to stock on hand - so once an item is gone, it is gone. These items are going to go quick...get yours before it disappears!

Thanks!

I just happened to have my eye on one of the necks for a long dormant project, so this made it easy to pull the trigger:

LPN1319A.jpg

LPN1319B.jpg

Lots of other beautiful pieces.

Also, I saw that neither of these models are in the builders anymore - are they being discontinued or replaced or something?

Some beautiful product you got there. I'm still waiting for the Jazzmaster fest! (hint, hint....)

There are some beauties in there. I'm not in the market for a carved top but if I were, I'd jump on one of those.

That's a great find drewfx. I just had a look and there are some really nice pieces in there. Those would work on a any of the LP like bodies or something like the Switchback as well. I saw they had a couple of Switchback bodies in the showcase very recently that were not badly priced for unfinished bodies.

This whole  sale is just weird.  They did it at the beginning of the new year, instead of at the end of the old year.  The other thing that's weird, is that the bodies don't look like "clearance" bodies, they look like "hey, that's really nice" bodies.

I have a warmoth LP; it sounds really nice and looks really nice.  It taught me that I was more of a strat guy, though. Leo just did too many things right: the strat is a really comfortable shape, the bodies are lighter, and a straight string pull is the way to go. 

Still, I'm sorely tempted to pull the trigger on one of these.

Jet-Jaguar said:
This whole  sale is just weird.  They did it at the beginning of the new year, instead of at the end of the old year.  The other thing that's weird, is that the bodies don't look like "clearance" bodies, they look like "hey, that's really nice" bodies.

As I mentioned above, both of these models are curiously now missing from the builders. Also, I've found that the info pages for these now seem to take you to the Showcase...

I'd be very surprised if these models aren't being consigned to history - especially as double A hasn't jumped in to confirm or deny. If so, these will be rare birds as they haven't been around for very long.

Can't say that the Royale body shape does much for me, but a carve-top for those sort of prices is certainly tempting. Current guitar building budget stands at zero and I've already 'accidentally' set the wheels in motion on a baritone project so over to you guys to protect the species...

Fat Pete said:
I'd be very surprised if these models aren't being consigned to history - especially as double A hasn't jumped in to confirm or deny. If so, these will be rare birds as they haven't been around for very long. Can't say that the Royale body shape does much for me, but a carve-top for those sort of prices is certainly tempting.

I wouldn't be surprised, either. For one thing, they've been ridiculously expensive and there doesn't seem to have been much take-up on them. As you say, they're not bad at the current pricing, but that's not where they've been and could actually be better.

I understand about machine tool amortization, ROI, COO, depreciation, American labor, tax and regulatory overhead, etc., but Warmoth has always been more than a little bit crazy about carved top body pricing. It's as if they think it's some sort of magical process when nearly everybody else on the planet is doing it as a matter of course for small fractions of the price. I'm beginning to wonder if they need to go to school on how to reasonably accomplish  those bodies, or just stop offering them in order to keep from appearing wildly out of touch with the market. After all, it's Gibson's job to look profoundly stupid about pricing, and they're pretty good at it. Let them have that label if that's what they want. It's their funeral.

Now that the sale's over all the remaining bodies and necks are screamin' deals. Looks like the necks are cheaper now than they were in the sale.

Thing is, the average Les Paul fan already has a million and one choices. It's one of the most-copied designs around, and from hollow versions with P-90s to thinner, larger-fretted versions with active humbuckers, you can already buy pretty much every variation of core parts you can think of.

There are also a couple of other parts/kit manufacturers which make LP copies far closer to the original design, but still with many options, and several include set neck construction as an option.

We're also at a point where carved tops have well and truly stopped being exclusive to more expensive guitars. There was once a time when a carved top, single cut guitar was something you worked towards, and you started with a flat top, single pickup version. Then along came the Studio and Faded models. Then Epiphone went into full swing, and shortly after that, all the other Korean and Chinese copies. Now you can buy a carved top Gibson—Gibson, not Epiphone—for under £500.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if we heard the Royale and Regal bodies are some of Warmoth's worst-selling ever. Between the competition for the style and the price, there's really very little reason to buy one. There is the drw of less common wood choices and finishes, but your average singlecut fan is going to always go back to mahogany, and a full Warmoth build costs the same as or more than an off-the-shelf Studio or Tribute Gibson LP and a professional refinish.

Come up with a single cut design that can benefit from the cost-saving methods the carved Tele uses, or find another way to lower costs, and then I would expect a Warmoth single cut to sell well. As it is, I would be more surprised to hear the Royale & Regal have sold well than I would if I were told they've sold poorly.

Yeah, I noticed that. The page for the body style still has the pricing for the cheaper build and highlights it as a feature of the carved Tele, and the showcase still has the simpler carved Teles, but the builders force you to take a laminate. Damn silly.

Suffice to say I've ordered from elsewhere. If there's anything which devalues a guitar, for me, it's a laminate. Sure as hell aren't down for being forced into paying an additional fee for a laminate that I'd rather pay extra to have taken off.

The Royale body isn't (wasn't) bad. It was a little too pointy on the horn but otherwise a nice design. I considered picking one up but the last real contender someone snatched today.

The Regal body looked like an awkward knockoff to me. Strats, SGs, Vs and many other guitars you can get clever with as far as design and shape changes, I'm okay with. For whatever reason when somebody tweaks the LP body or its headstock it just looks wrong to me.

Back