LP bodies prices insane?

Ang3lus

what's up with the prices of LP bodies?
they are VERY expensive, i mean it's insane buying a body for that much :x
even though i know warmoth is of super quality, 1040$ (including shipping) seems alot to pay for a body IMO

Yeah, that is a lot of money to pay.
With that said, I don't see any LP body that costs that much.
If you click the following link (http://www.warmoth.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=21_23_31&page=1&sort=3a) you can see all  the show case bodies that Warmoth has available right now, organized from cheapest to most expensive. As you can see, $1000 is not the regular price for your average body, it is for special things - all rosewood bodies, special finishes, insane figuring, and so on.
Check out this link (http://www.warmoth.com/guitar/bodies/lp.cfm?fuseaction=carvedtop_lp) for their options for bodies and costs - a mahogany body with a nice burst finish is going to run you just about half of what you quoted.

I don't quite understand how you can view those prices as "insane"; you can't even get exotic tops like that from Gibson; closest thing would be a higher end flame top that doesn't look as good in terms of figuring as the $455/499 unfinished bodies in the Showcase, and those Gibson models run $3000-6800.

The only carved top guitars generally available with woods and finishes on a par with those LP bodies would be PRS "Private Stock" models that start at about $7500 and can go upwards of $10,000.

Have you priced AAAAA Quilt Maple lately? The prices Warmoth are asking for are in actuality reasonable, you just can't afford them.

If the prices were out of line they would not be selling as fast as they are.

Speaking of awesome LP's, that one piece flame maple LP is gone. I was having fun looking at it, too...

I can afford it, but it seems steep
that's not considering the WCR pickups i had planned, 300$ more
and other hardware, i'd end up getting a gibson R9 :|
because in the end, if you don't like the end product, warmoth has no real resale value
which kinda sucks because in my opinion they are better than fender/gibson
and do 995$ bodies sound different than 500$ bodies ? (considering they are of the same type of wood, just different grades ?)

The price you pay for a Warmoth product has very little to do with the tone, mostly the cosmetics.  The $260 finished Strat bodies in the showcase are of the exact same quality as the $5-600+ Strat bodies with super figured tops and awesome finishes, they just don't use wood/finishes that are as pretty.

Quality wood is expensive.  As global demand increases and supply decreases, the prices will only escalate further. 

At least guitars don't use tremendous amounts of copper.  That stuff has increased tenfold over the past decade.  It's worth so much that people steal it just to scrap it.  They'll break into vacant houses and rip out copper piping, open up light poles and rip out the wire... all sorts of crazy stuff.  My dad has been a carpenter for 35 years.  He remembers when he'd be on a house build and the plumber would leave a bunch of copper pipe on the build site overnight.  Heck, no one would steal it.  It wasn't worth much.  Those days are long gone.

Ang3lus said:
because in the end, if you don't like the end product, warmoth has no real resale value
and do 995$ bodies sound different than 500$ bodies ? (considering they are of the same type of wood, just different grades ?)

So you're saying you can afford it and acknowledge the quality is better than others that are more expensive, yet you're still complaining?  :tard:

Wyliee said:
Ang3lus said:

So you're saying you can afford it and acknowledge the quality is better than others that are more expensive, yet you're still complaining?  :tard:

my thoughts exactly.

I just bought a gibson custom instead of a warmoth, but just because this one was dirt cheap, and for sentimental reasons haha. but if this one wasn't this cheap, I would've gone 'warmoth style' again. but I will. not today, but soon :)

I heard steel is also worth a lot these days because people are stealing fire hydrant caps, steel gates/doors and other items made of steel to sell for scrap. I am not sure what's the going rate for these...

its around 25 cents a pound now.  For scrap steel thats a lot of money.  I've been fighting the urge pull into work on the weeknd and discreetly load up with a few thousand pounds of crop rebar that the company has technically sold and is no longer in the system. but will never leave the yard in anything other than a scrap bin.

The price of the minerals needed to make steel has gone crazy too. To a certain extent, when molybdenum gets more expensive, you can use vanadium, when that goes up ten-fold you can use chromium, but the net effect is that all the minerals run out at once. :sad: Oil is like the tip on the iceberg - there's another mineral called trillium used to make TV screens and computer monitors, and again when you sub one thing, they all go up in price. There's now a thriving industry paying Mexicans to go through U.S. landfills to pull out old computer monitors, put them on a freighter and send them to China where workers will reclaim the old minerals from the monitors. The stuff's way too toxic for Americans to work on, they'd always be suing and dying and stuff. Get your wood now! Sure hope the electricity holds out for a few more years.... :toothy11:

I had a similar question to the OP but didn't want to post an inflammatory post so never did.  I've always been a strat guy and thought how cool it would be to have an LP.  Well, off the shelf they are outrageous so I thought "Hey, I built my strat, I can build an LP".  I was shocked to find that the LP bodies were 2-3x the cost of strat bodies.  It may be 100% justified, I just have to admit I don't understand it.

Cheers.

Well, LP bodies are thicker, so more wood, and they're caved top, almost always with laminates.

Here's a pretty koa Strat for you:
http://www.warmoth.com/showcase/sc_guitar_bodies.cfm?type=guitar&start=401&itemNumber=PS3125&menuItem=1&subMenuItem=0&subMenuItem2=0

$1,295.00! Makes the Les Pauls seem cheap, huh? :toothy10:

I'd have snapped this one up if only it was finished in honey or cherry burst.

LPCP173a.jpg

stubhead said:
Here's a pretty koa Strat for you:
http://www.warmoth.com/showcase/sc_guitar_bodies.cfm?type=guitar&start=401&itemNumber=PS3125&menuItem=1&subMenuItem=0&subMenuItem2=0

$1,295.00! Makes the Les Pauls seem cheap, huh? :toothy10:

:icon_biggrin: :icon_biggrin: :icon_biggrin:
that is so awesome!

Back