LP bodies prices insane?

I think that Fire burst pictured above represents the kick ass Warmoth version of a Heritage Cherry burst that Gibson desperately wishes they could pull off.  I think they realize though that they would be compelled to charge eleventy billion dollars for it and piss everyone off; turning it into a PR disaster.

Lucky #7 said:
I think that Fire burst pictured above represents the kick ass Warmoth version of a Heritage Cherry burst that Gibson desperately wishes they could pull off.  I think they realize though that they would be compelled to charge eleventy billion dollars for it and piss everyone off; turning it into a PR disaster.

Yeah, it's beautiful!  If I'm gonna spend $1000 I want to get exactly what I want, though.

Buy a $300 plain-top mahogany body and have it finished in vintage amber if you don't like what's in the showcase - you guys are just complaining about the amazing special LPs that are currently in the showcase - you can still get reasonable LPs.

1040$ won't get me anything
but adding a nice neck which is 500$
and nice pickups (WCR) are 300$
grover tuners 50$
vitamin Q caps are around 25$ incl. s/h

that adds up to more than 2000$ including shipment for everything plus taxes etc.

that buys a les paul standard or a used custom

tfarny said:
Buy a $300 plain-top mahogany body and have it finished in vintage amber if you don't like what's in the showcase - you guys are just complaining about the amazing special LPs that are currently in the showcase - you can still get reasonable LPs.

Very true.  My son's LP was $1,200 total for body, neck, warmoth finish, all hardware and electronics.  It sounds and plays great.

Finished body $505
Finished neck $350
Hardware        $150
EMG Pickups  $200

the carved top  (mahogny for example)  adds $105 to the price - - then the various forms of binding, either real or faux, add to the price - the different paint jobs also.... it just seems like a lot more goes into a LP body that a strat body.

Then buy the LP Std and then add on all of your custom options and compare the prices then.  I just finished my 1st Warmoth build and that guitar does everything that my Fender Strat and my Gibson Les Paul can do.  But it's a matter of what you're looking for in a guitar.

Ang3lus said:
1040$ won't get me anything
but adding a nice neck which is 500$
and nice pickups (WCR) are 300$
grover tuners 50$
vitamin Q caps are around 25$ incl. s/h

that adds up to more than 2000$ including shipment for everything plus taxes etc.

that buys a les paul standard or a used custom

That's correct, you 've just described my Warmoth LP I'll be doing on October.
With this money I could get a standard here, but I want only a custom shop Les Paul and these are way more. Until I can afford one I'll have my WLP.

Some people are just thinking of them strictly in terms of being a Gibson copy and are expecting similar pricing even with premium tops and are not making an apples to apples comparison.  Gibson doesn't even offer tops like this so there is really no price comparison. 

Overall, they're where I was six months ago: looking for a cheap way to build the same guitar and finding out that they are only cheap relatively speaking.  Once I started looking more, I realized what I was getting and came around.  That said, I do think some of the $995s are a bit much, but, as Gregg said, they're still flying off the shelf, so obviously they haven't gone too high.

http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=3214.0

Assuming you're talking to me.  Here is my Warmoth LP.  Plays like a dream and sounds spectacular.  The woods are choice and I have yet to find anything that I don't like (with the small exception of no traps, but the figuring on the neck was too good to pass up over a lack of preferred inlay).

amazing, such a body i think is worth 995$ :~
do warmoth still do benegal burst ?

is the neck 24.75" ?
i'm looking for a true vintage sound without the price tag
problem is, the conversion necks have a double truss rod

i'm looking for a true vintage sound...

I think the neck attachment method probably has more influence on the tone than single/double truss rods but still, I don't even know what a "true vintage sound" is. Maybe you mean the classic Duane Allman "Live at the Fillmore"/early Santana/Slash/Jimmy Page "The Song Remains the Same" kind of overdriven tubes/Les Paul sound? That to me comes from a signal between about 400Hz to 4K, with a wide midrange hump between about 630Hz and 1.6K - humbuckings are best to generate this, but you can EQ a singlecoil pickup to do it. Then, you feed that signal to a tube amp with a fairly clean preamp but juiced power tubes, then make sure to roll off some highs - 12" speaker cabs with no horns or tweeters do that well. Steve Morse, John Petrucci, Andy Timmons and Eddie Van Halen are all good examples of guitarists who can generate that kind of tone with bolt-neck guitars, though I don't know what their truss rods are doing right now. "True vintage sound" can be anything from the Ventures, to the "Theme from Green Acres", to "Hawaii 5-0" to Buddy Holly to "Winchester Cathedral"...*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xmV-261o1U

*(Mahavishnu John McLaughlin's U.S. recording debut, by the way. His tone got a bit less "vintage" shortly thereafter....)

Ang3lus said:
is the neck 24.75" ?
i'm looking for a true vintage sound without the price tag
problem is, the conversion necks have a double truss rod

You can't have a vintage Les Paul from Warmoth parts. It's a bolt on instrument and the truss rod is different. Most bodies are hollow to keep the weight down also. You can have a great guitar which looks like a LP and maybe sounds like a LP, but it's not the same. Your decision.

As a comparison, I have played my Gibson LP (EMG 81 Pick ups) and My Son has played his Warmoth LP (EMG 81 Pick Up) and there is really no difference in the tone of the 2 guitars.  Both have great sustain.  I really don't think the type of truss rod or the bolt on neck make that big a difference, tone wise.  Is the Warmoth a vintage type, no... but nore was it meant to be.  It was meant to be a great guitar and that's exactly what both my warmoth guitars are.

this is the classic les paul tone IMO.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9Ujm4HEXGc[/youtube]

LPCP161a.jpg

If you thought mine was worth $995 then you'll love this one.

Ang3lus said:
this is the classic les paul tone IMO.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9Ujm4HEXGc[/youtube]

that for me, is more like a tele-necksound or a strat-neck sound. not a les paul sound...

Back