Low tack tape recommendations??

Peaveyman89

Looking for recommendations for a good low tack tape they won't peel off nitro lacquer when masking off fretboards.

I use the pink tape for delicate surfaces. Also, don't leave the tape on longer than you need to because whatever paint you're using will bond to the tape.

What others said. But if all ya got is regular old blue painters tape, stick it a time or two to your jeans before you mask off the board, it will remove some tack.

I only use Nichiban brown washi tape these days. But I have no nitro finished necks at current time so I can't be sure if it's safe.

Neither of these ideas are from my own head, but from previous reading on other forums. Served me well.

*edit- come to think of it, I usually stick the tape to my shirt/hoodie to remove tack rather than jeans but you get the idea.

Last edited:
Blue painters tape pulled some finish off of a maple 90s MIM Strat neck I have, so I'd definitely use something less tacky, or the tricks above to reduce its tackiness.

But if all ya got is regular old blue painters tape, stick it a time or two to your jeans before you mask off the board, it will remove some tack.

I only use Nichiban brown washi tape these days. But I have no nitro finished necks at current time so I can't be sure if it's safe.

Pro tip alert!

Never heard of the Nichiban brown washi tape, but it's so fun to say that I am definitely going to check it out. I can't wait to walk into Home Depot and say "can you please direct me to where you keep the Nichiban brown washi tape?" and then watch the salesperson's brain come unraveled!

I'll report back! :)

Back