Lost my mind and spent all my $$$

Death by Uberschall

Master Member
UPDATE:
So in doing my part as a citizen of this great country of ours (U.S.A. for those wondering), I've initiated my own stimulus plan for our great economy and have thrown fiscal responsibility out the window!!

So in following that ideal, I asked myself, "Self, why have only one Warmoth custom guitar when you can have two?!?!?!"

First post and first time building my own guitars. I'm very excited about this. I've been playing 25+ years, but always on pre-built guitars (Gibson, Hamer, PRS, Jackson, Heritage, Ibanez, etc). I've done most of my own maintenance, pup swaps, etc. So this should be exciting.

See attached pics for the color combinations. These pics are not my guitars, but the Master Painters at Warmoth who dyed/sprayed these bodies are doing mine and using these guitar as their referrence.

Added pic of Unique Choice tops that are going on my guitars.

I'll post pics once they shows up.

Basically my dream builds. Here's the spec sheets, feel free to post comments.

Build #1
No binding, clean burst over

1-piece mahogany body
Unique Choice flame maple top
Contoured heel
HxH pick up routing (wood mount) installing EMG 81/85 combo
24 fret relocate
Recessed Floyd routing
Rear control route
Single volume (#1) strat position
Blade 3-way switch - Strat position
7/8 jack hole

No binding, clean line burst

3A flame maple neck
3A flame maple board
Warmoth headstock shape
Flame maple headstock veneer
Schaller mini tuner ream
1-11/16 nut width
R4 locking nut 1-11/16 string width
'59 Round Back profile
24 fret extension
SS6100 frets
No face dots/inlay
Black side dots
Clear back and fretboard finish

Original Floyd Rose (will be installing a brass Big Block sustain block on it)
R4 nut
Schaller mini locking tuners
Neck plate w/pad
Football style jack plate
Switchcraft stereo jack (for EMG's)
CRL 3-way blade switch w/black knob
Dome knob for volume

Build #2
No binding, clean line option/no burst over

1-piece mahogany body
Unique Choice quilt maple top
Contoured heel
Tummy cut
HxH pick-up routing
Tele humbucker bridge route/drilling
Rear contol route
Single volume (I'll drill for location once I have the body)
Blade 3-way switch - Strat position
7/8 jack hole

No binding/no burst over

3A flame maple neck
Jet black ebony board
Tele headstock shape
Quilt maple headstock veneer
Gotoh tuner ream
1-11/16 nut
Graphtech graphite nut (installed and pre-cut)
Wolfgang profile
22 fret
SS6100 frets
No face dots/inlay
White side dots
Clear back

Gotoh humbucker Tele bridge
Metal humbucker mounting ring for neck pup
Goto SG38 tuners
Vintage style string retainer
String ferrules
Neck plate w/pad
Electro socket jack
CRL 3-way blade switch w/black knob
Flat top knob for volume

why maple/maple? warmoth has so much more to offer.... wenge, canary, rosewood or goncalo alves as neckbacks, ebony, ziricote, canary for fingerboards. so much nicer tones and feel...for the rest: I'd take blackouts instead of emg's, but the rest looks SWEET

wenge, canary, rosewood or goncalo alves as neckbacks, ebony, ziricote, canary for fingerboards. so much nicer tones and feel...

What artists have recorded great-sounding albums using these woods? I really am curious - some people here have a habit of denigrating the woods normally used for electric guitars. When I think of poplar guitar tones with a maple/rosewood neck, I think of the great Steve Morse Band records of the 90's. When I think of alder guitar tone, I think of Eric Johnson... basswood - John Petrucci, Joe Satriani... mahogany/maple cap - Duane Allman, Carlos Santana. Where are the canary or wenge recordings with "nicer tone" to compare to this? If you have an exotic-wood guitar that sounds better than the original, poplar, Steve Morse Music Man, I'd love to hear a sound clip.

I am sure there are lots of session guitarists using all these fancy exotic boutique guitars!

Orpheo said:
why maple/maple? warmoth has so much more to offer.... wenge, canary, rosewood or goncalo alves as neckbacks, ebony, ziricote, canary for fingerboards. so much nicer tones and feel...for the rest: I'd take blackouts instead of emg's, but the rest looks SWEET

That's a good question. Here's the answer; "Because that's what I wanted." LOL I know, I'm being sarcastic, but I'm only trying to be funny, so don't take it personal.  :icon_jokercolor:

The real answer is it was more of an "eye candy" choice for me and the fact that a maple neck and board can sound really good. Imagine that flame pattern starting at one end of the guitar and continuing all the way through the neck to the other end. Visually, it should look incredible!  The mahogony body will tame some of the maple's brightness and give a nice balanced tone to the guitar. I own 17 guitars and only one of them has a maple board (Frankenstrat clone), but it plays and sounds great. All of the rest are ebony or rosewood. So I went with it to mix it up a little. As far as the other woods you mentioned, I've never played them, so some of my decision was based on what I already know. I would hate to spend the money I did and not like the neck in the end.

There have been many great guitar tones and recordings made with maple necks and boards, i.e. EVH, David Gilmour (my favorite player), Warren DiMartini, Jimi Hendrix, etc. Without knowing for sure, I would bet that 50% or more of the Strats ever made have maple necks and boards.

I haven't tried the Blackouts yet, but by the time the guitar is finished EMG should have their "X" series pickups out. These are EMG's answer to the Blackouts with a newly designed pre-amp circuit. Supposedly they will sound and respond better than the originals and the Blackouts.We shall see. Otherwise the current EMG's sound good, have them in several of my guitars, no complaints.

Thanks for your comments and everybody else's so far. I can't wait to have it in my hands.

stubhead said:
wenge, canary, rosewood or goncalo alves as neckbacks, ebony, ziricote, canary for fingerboards. so much nicer tones and feel...

What artists have recorded great-sounding albums using these woods? I really am curious - some people here have a habit of denigrating the woods normally used for electric guitars. When I think of poplar guitar tones with a maple/rosewood neck, I think of the great Steve Morse Band records of the 90's. When I think of alder guitar tone, I think of Eric Johnson... basswood - John Petrucci, Joe Satriani... mahogany/maple cap - Duane Allman, Carlos Santana. Where are the canary or wenge recordings with "nicer tone" to compare to this? If you have an exotic-wood guitar that sounds better than the original, poplar, Steve Morse Music Man, I'd love to hear a sound clip.

well, I think what you're saying is a bit unfair, because of several reasons. First off all, those guys have used regular, stock guitars, right of the line. never bothered using exotic woods, mainly, because that wasn't the market at that time. Gibson never bothered using, lets say, ziricote, canary or bubinga on a regular basis. because there's less of that stuff than mahogany, maple, rosewood, ash and alder.

for me, Steve morse's musicman doesnt sound that good at all. kind of dull, no depth, no punch, no dynamics. My koa les paul, or the wenge/padouk strat of a friend of mine, or the alembic guitars of jerry garcia, etc etc, sound better than those down the line guitars. you come with petrucci, but I can't agree with him having a good or great sound. the amp he uses is awesome, thats true, but thats 99% of his sound, his guitars sounds clinical, dull, boring...

its up to you that you want a poplar, alder, ash, mahonagny or basswood guitar. I dont like 'm. too dull, to flatsounding. and I think you knew that, the neck is the most important thing for your tone. santana uses a BRW neck, so do the guys from alter bridge (mark sometimes though).

the fact that 99.9% of the luthiers use the standard woods doesnt mean shit. its just the regular used stuff, nothing special to it. its not a hype. these woods, the ones I mentioned, really do sound nicer, and most importantly: feel slicker!

Death by Uberschall said:
Orpheo said:

That's a good question. Here's the answer; "Because that's what I wanted." LOL I know, I'm being sarcastic, but I'm only trying to be funny, so don't take it personal.  :icon_jokercolor:

The real answer is it was more of an "eye candy" choice for me and the fact that a maple neck and board can sound really good. Imagine that flame pattern starting at one end of the guitar and continuing all the way through the neck to the other end. Visually, it should look incredible!  The mahogony body will tame some of the maple's brightness and give a nice balanced tone to the guitar. I own 17 guitars and only one of them has a maple board (Frankenstrat clone), but it plays and sounds great. All of the rest are ebony or rosewood. So I went with it to mix it up a little. As far as the other woods you mentioned, I've never played them, so some of my decision was based on what I already know. I would hate to spend the money I did and not like the neck in the end.

There have been many great guitar tones and recordings made with maple necks and boards, i.e. EVH, David Gilmour (my favorite player), Warren DiMartini, Jimi Hendrix, etc. Without knowing for sure, I would bet that 50% or more of the Strats ever made have maple necks and boards.

I haven't tried the Blackouts yet, but by the time the guitar is finished EMG should have their "X" series pickups out. These are EMG's answer to the Blackouts with a newly designed pre-amp circuit. Supposedly they will sound and respond better than the originals and the Blackouts.We shall see. Otherwise the current EMG's sound good, have them in several of my guitars, no complaints.

Thanks for your comments and everybody else's so far. I can't wait to have it in my hands.

well, its your guitar, who am I to 'complain' or try to talk you out of something? I just expressed my opinion, and respect yours, ofcourse. love to see this one finished!

Orpheo, it's cool. I never mind opinions or comments. In the end, right or wrong, I have to live with the guitar. But I know enough about my choices to know I will like it. I agree there are loads of different options at Warmoth, so many it can get down right confusing and mind numbing. Rob (sales rep) put up with my going back and forth, changing this, opting for that. Great guy. I talked with him for a while concerning the effects of tone with my choices of wood. What I should have in the end is a guitar that falls somewhere in between the warmth of a Les Paul and the spank or presence of a Strat.

As a note, I'm going to pull the trigger on another Warmoth build here soon. Mahogony body, quilt maple top, mahogony neck, ebony board, quilt headstock veneer.

Oh wow, that sounds like a very exciting build.
Can't wait to see the picks.

James

Orpheo said:

Cause that's what he wants.  He ain't building it for you.  :icon_biggrin:

2 pages of an 'out of the box' thread without pics? That's almost ban-worthy.  :doh:

tfarny said:
2 pages of an 'out of the box' thread without pics? That's almost ban-worthy.  :doh:

Joined and banned right in the same thread  :doh:  :laughing11: :laughing3: :laughing7:

tfarny said:
:toothy12: Yeah, never expected this thread to grow so big so soon.  :toothy12:

I was reading the forum and noticed people were posting their orders prior to receiving the parts, so I just followed along.

Maybe we need a "Just Out of the Gate" forum?!?!?!?!  :headbang1:

BTW, I did post that pic of of the color scheme, does that count???  :laughing3:

Back