Looking for advice on a Rack Setup

I didn't know the Axe Fx did that.  It's the reason I got Bias, it does all those things with a nice GUI editor, and then you don't even need the hardware to check it out, just run it through your DAW.

I can't wait for it to get here, but I'm really thinking whatever flavour you choose, there might be more flavours coming.  Digital and Modelling is not what it was in the 90s.  And sometimes you might need a little more than a guitar speaker can give if you're running an extended range or drop tuned guitar.  Must be why the AxeFX and Bias products seem to be so popular with the metal guys.

Cagey said:
The only argument I'm aware of in favor of the Helix is it's supposed to be easier to program.

Ease of programming and to a larger degree flexibility of programming are, in my opinion, the strengths of Helix. I can run multiple amplifiers in the same patch (I've gone as far as three) either simultaneously in parallel or one-at-a-time with zero-latency switching between them. Up to four cabs or IRs can be loaded simultaneously in varying configurations and the parameters can be changed on the fly with commands assigned to footswitches. Ribbon mic at a distance for cleans switching to a SM57 up close when you engage a dirt pedal? *click* If using third party IRs, the specific IR loaded in a given slot can be changed with a footswitch command. If I decide I want my tremolo unit between the amp and cab instead of in front of the amp, or if I decide I want a delay to run in parallel with a reverb instead of in series, I can do that and I can make the changes in about 5 seconds. The parallel and series signal routing options are huge.

Admittedly the Fractal units sound better than Helix in most of the YouTube "shootout" videos, but most of those videos are made by guys who have been using Fractal gear for years and just got their hands on Helix the day before shooting the video. I'm not implying any intentional bias, but it should come as no surprise that the gear they are familiar with sounds better under their fingers the one they just got. A good many of the videos of Helix on YouTube sound pretty bad, and having had my Helix for several months and gone through the learning curve, I find they are not really reflective of what it can do.

There's my two cents!

You can do all those things with and AxeFx as well. But, it's a more expensive unit with more processing capabilities, so you'd expect that.

I haven't tried any of these machines, but I just stumbled upon this clip from fellow swede Ola Englund, that some might find interesting:

[youtube]IDF1oFyBI6U[/youtube]

That was a really great video!  He could have done the same with the cab sim on the Bias as well.  I intend to.

Once I finish building my fearful, I have a couple speakers lying around I want to make some 1x12 cabs out of for recording.  I'll also get IR's from them to load into Bias for playing through my fearful.  It's good to have options.

The saga continues!

An update is due I suppose. I got a Line6 Pod HD ProX and am loving it so far. Sweetwater had a nice price cut, and Line6 even threw in their fully loaded pack for free. I just couldn't justify the price on the other hitters. Might be I am liking the Line6 so much because I haven't tried any of the others, but hey, I'll take it. Maybe someday later I will upgrade.

Anyways, I am playing through monitors and looking at power amps to drive a cabinet. I feel like what I see is 100-200W solid state, 1500-2000W solid state, or the regular 100W tube.

My initial thought is something in the lower wattage solid state, like the ISP stealth or Carvin DCM200L. Both being 80-100W a channel seems like a good fit for a 1x12 or 2x12. Or should I just bite the bullet and higher wattage amp that powers anything I ever need it to?

Maybe I should just get a powered FRFR cab...too many options.

Also, I am really new to this whole thing of putting things together in pieces (I have only ever owned combo amps) so if anyone wants to take me to school on things like: stereo vs. mono, impedence matching, bridged outputs, difference between a guitar vs PA vs bass speakers, etc. I would love that.

Congrats on the Pod XP! Those were a go-to piece for a lotta folks for a long time as they solved a lotta problems in 2U of space.

That Carvin DCM200L is a nice little piece for a very reasonable price. I've got one here, and even Cliff @ Fractal has used them in the past. It's fairly transparent, so any modeling you do won't be affected. It only takes 1U of rack space, and it's stereo, for what that's worth. Plus, you can run it in mono to double its power handling capability, which comes in handy for guitar as solid state power usually needs to be about double/triple what you'd need in tube power to get the same apparent sound pressure levels. You can usually find them for about $100 - if there aren't any on eBay at the moment, call Carvin. The often have them in the back at that price.

Stereo is nice at home or practice when you're playing, but it's pretty much a waste live. You don't hear the effect. Stereo recording and reproduction along with reverb and delay were created originally to simulate a live environment by tricking your ears into hearing space between instruments and distance from walls and other acoustically reflective surfaces. So, if you're in a live environment, whaddaya need stereo for? You already have the best 3D surround sound field occurring naturally. Trying to add a stereo source to that is more likely to make a mess of things than improve them.

Powered speakers are nice, and have become very popular. Keeps you from having to carry a separate amp. Downside would be that if the amp or speaker fails, you have to be able to replace the amp and speaker, since they're one and the same. But, that's also more a concern for live environments where the show must go on, as it's usually easier to replace individual components or re-route signal.

I never recommend tube-based anything anymore. They're heavy, power-hungry, and maintenance prone. If you're in a studio and you must have every last nuance but don't own an Axe Fx, then rent/borrow somebody else's tube amp. Live, nobody knows the difference.

This video is HYSTERICAL!  :icon_biggrin:

Timmsie95 said:
I've always been a tube amp "purist", and I have never liked the feel of the axe fx or any other digital ones. but when I tried a Line 6 helix, I was blown away. it sounds and feels exactly like a tube amp, and it's so easy to program.
This comical video talks a bit about how they designed the Helix.
[youtube]u38HcVMHZ-M[/youtube]

Longtime Fractal user here, but even longer modeling fan (started with the Art SGX2000).  You can't go wrong with the Axe FX.

Back