Looking for advice on a Rack Setup

rapfohl09

Hey all, I am looking to get start building a rack setup. I am starting to dig deeper and deeper into recording myself playing in an effort to get ideas down and focus more on writing. I know the AXE-FX is obviously the holy grail and centerpiece to a lot of these set-ups, but I just cant justify spending over 2k right from the get go (no matter how hard I try...)

My goal for 2016 is to start playing some shows and again record a lot of music, so I want something that I can use live and in the studio. I was looking at the Line6 Pod HD Pro. It seems like a good starting point for something like this.

I feel like I am rambling, I just have never really delved into the world of rack equipment/studio gear. I honestly just don't want to have to go out and buy a big amp set up with a bunch of pedals. I don't have the space for that, and live an apartment so low levels/headphones is pretty much required.

Any advice/your favorite equipment would be very helpful!!

If you're going Line 6, go with their new Helix system. It's a bit more money, but it's so so so much better than a POD.  http://line6.com/helix/

As an AXE-FX user, I will say it was the single best musical investment I have made. It is pricy, but worth it. Depending upon how much gear you already have and are willing to sell, that purchase cost can be minimized. I sold all my amps, cabs, effects, mics, routers, etc and had money left over after buying my AXE.

I have both the Line 6 Pod Pro and the Behringer V-Amp Pro–both are great for recording–I prefer the V-Amp for clean tones. I'd recommend both though!

Attachments

• IMG_1334.jpg
    IMG_1334.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 373
treyhaislip said:
I have both the Line 6 Pod Pro and the Behringer V-Amp Pro–both are great for recording–I prefer the V-Amp for clean tones. I'd recommend both though!

Same here. I actually preferred the V-Amp, but you have to get into the internal setups (vs. front panel) to tweak things into shape. Many don't even realize you can do that. It's a helluva piece of gear for the money.

I've since graduated to the AxeFx II, and of course there is no other. But, they are pricey little rascals. Still, it's probably the last and certainly the best piece of gear a guitar player could ever buy. Just magical. Well worth dumping everything else to finance it.

As for racks, 4U seems to be the sweet spot, and go deep. At least 14", if not 16".

You are right about the V-Amp being quite the gear for the price!  :guitarplayer2:

I haven't tried the AxeFX, 99% of my stuff is live where I use amps and pedals–currently rocking a Hot Rod Deluxe and a Blues Jr (both modded quite a bit.)

Another good option to try if you want to go the modelling route, is an Atomic Amplifire. You would also need an audio interface as it doesn't have one inbuilt.

Or a UAudio Apollo Twin, and some of their excellent plug ins.  Also Scuffham S Amps and Positive Grid Bias are worth taking a look at for plug ins.

I've always been a tube amp "purist", and I have never liked the feel of the axe fx or any other digital ones. but when I tried a Line 6 helix, I was blown away. it sounds and feels exactly like a tube amp, and it's so easy to program.
This comical video talks a bit about how they designed the Helix.
[youtube]u38HcVMHZ-M[/youtube]

Have you used an Axe FX very much ?

I'm surprised at the comparison of it with the  Helix in this way.

The Helix is a very good concept but tone and feel wise it may be one persons cup of tea but the Fractal products are very good indeed.

stratamania said:
Have you used an Axe FX very much ?

I'm surprised at the comparison of it with the  Helix in this way.

The Helix is a very good concept but tone and feel wise it may be one persons cup of tea but the Fractal products are very good indeed.

My friend uses an Axe FX as his main rig, and I've probably played it for about 2 hours total, but I wasn't messing with his settings much, so it is possible that his settings were just crap. I try to keep an open mind, anyways, because it is a fascinating product.

Ah that makes sense. His settings perhaps weren't for you. And an Axe FX front panel does take some getting used to. But the tones in that box are there.

Also sometimes with modellers folks dial them in at home and then when playing in a louder situation it doesn't sound quite right. This tends to be due to what's referred to as the Fletcher Munson curve.

Also what your modeller is played through can make quite a difference. I've seen and heard the same device through various FRFR speakers and they sounded different. Which would suggest that all FRFRs are not created equal.

Yeah, I'm definitely warming up to it, but it hurts a little because I've spent close to $15000 on tube amps and cabs, so it's like "why wasn't this here before..." haha.  :laughing7:

stratamania said:
Also what your modeller is played through can make quite a difference. I've seen and heard the same device through various FRFR speakers and they sounded different. Which would suggest that all FRFRs are created equal.

I think you mean not created equal.

I've wondered about that, too. If they're full range and flat response, shouldn't they sound the same? Should, but don't, so they're not at as full or flat as advertised.

Cagey said:
stratamania said:
Also what your modeller is played through can make quite a difference. I've seen and heard the same device through various FRFR speakers and they sounded different. Which would suggest that all FRFRs are created equal.

I've wondered about that, too. If they're full range and flat response, shouldn't they sound the same? Should, but don't, so they're not at as full or flat as advertised.
Well nothing ever truly is. Also placement and room come into play. I play my AXE through QSC HPR 112i's (predecessor to the KW-12). They sound just a touch warmer than the PA I play through weekly live. Not that anyone in the audience would ever perceive a difference.

Used Eleven racks run $300 and sound  (and feel) awesome.  I'm currently running it through a bass cabinet for bass and a guitar combo for guitar, but I need to get a single FRFR capable of being a monitor for guitar, bass or drums. 

Cagey said:

Yes, corrected it above.  I think FRFR is a theoretical goal perhaps rather than an absolute. I'm sure on another forum Jay Mitchell, could certainly provide us with some interesting detail on that.

Some must be more flat than others and have differing responses per cab design and so forth.

I've put a bit of thought into my FRFR requirements. For guitar only - it's a bit of a misnomer and Flat Response is good enough for a modeler. If you can do 80 - 12k  flat, you have something that can handle electric and acoustic guitar modeled without compromise.  That's not necessarily a big box.

If you want it to double on bass it's gets bigger, and drums make it even bigger (due to the peak levels needed at low frequencies to deliver convincing drum sounds.

Wow guys thanks for all the feedback.

I am at a crossroads. I want an Axe-FX so bad, I know it does everything I want it to do and more. I have priced out a few set-ups that only come to half the price of the Axe-FX by itself...

I am slowly being sold on the fact that all I have to do is buy it, and then never get anything again. I pretty firmly believe that that would be it.

I am just tired of the buy/sell/trade game. I have owned 6-7 amps and a dozen or so pedals over the decade or so I have played. Now a-days I am out of college and have a pretty decent job so I can afford to start a collection, but for years I had to get rid of things to afford new things. I'm just tired it. I want a set-up I can rely on for years instead of a few months.

Does anyone use power amps for live set-ups? Or are you guys just playing through headphones/daws/computer monitors?

You might want to check out a Fractal AX8 it might be another option, but they are on a wait list right now.

You don't want to play through computer monitors, studio monitors are a much better bet for that type of use. Good headphones are well worth it for silent practice/ recording.

Popular choices for amps and speakers are those made by Matrix or Atomic CLRs. Also Friedman does something for this segment now. Lots of choices available.

Back