Looking for advice on a Rack Setup

Tons of useful info here.

http://wiki.fractalaudio.com/axefx2/index.php?title=Axe-Fx_II_Wiki_Home

Even if you use another modeller there's tons of good info.

That's the thing with the Axe. It's pretty pricey way to go, but it's also the ultimate. You won't have to buy anything again. You're done. No more agonizing over this month's Sweetwater or Musician's Fiend catalogs. All your amps and effects are there, and they're top-notch. Just shut up and play yer guitar  :icon_biggrin:

On the topic of FRFR's, I've played through a few Mission Gemini speakers, and they are quite good.

Cagey said:
That's the thing with the Axe. It's pretty pricey way to go, but it's also the ultimate. You won't have to buy anything again. You're done. No more agonizing over this month's Sweetwater or Musician's Fiend catalogs. All your amps and effects are there, and they're top-notch. Just shut up and play yer guitar  :icon_biggrin:

I just checked the Aussie link for AxeFX. The IIXL+ weighs in, in Aus$, at $3978-51 on a pre order. While the Aus$ is about 70c to US1, that still seems a fair bit more than a couple of grand.
http://shop.independentmusic.com.au/fractal-audio/

Customers in USA must get it for much cheaper than international orders?

AxeFx II XL+ is $2,249.95 here in the States. MFC101 Controller board is $649.95. A rack case may run ~$150, and the best FR/FR speaker is the Atomic CLR powered wedge at $999.95. Throw another $50 or so at cords, and you're at $4100, give or take a couple bucks. But, that's all-up, ready to gig with that pile. You can go a little further. I have two powered Atomic CLR wedges on poles, and 4 Mission expression pedals to go with the controller board mounted in a pedalboard case. I also have a power distribution block and wireless G90 in my rack, so I've got about $6K in my rig.

Sounds like a lot, but once I get those guitar lessons happening...  :icon_biggrin:

All this talk has given me serious GAS..
When I'm done my current build, there's a good chance I'll be going rack. I plan on Line 6 Helix Rack ($1900 CAD) with Helix Foot Controller ($600 CAD) and a mission expression pedal with a tor switch, and a mission gemini 2. There would also be a power conditioner in the rack, 6u rack case because i also have the G90 wireless. And a pedalboard to keep the controller and expression pedal on.
All that with taxes, and all that jazz will run me around $6500 CAD (plus the $800 i paid for the G90).

Whick shows you, it adds up quickly, and being Canadian sucks when you're a musician.  :laughing7:

I love my AxeFx it is hands down the best piece of gear i ever bought, I also have a Kemper (good deal i couldn't pass up) and one lone Tube amp a Mk V-25 with a 1-12, all i use though is the AxeFx Rig. Its expensive yes but you will not want for anything else. Ive said it before the AxeFX killed all my amp gas now i have more money to just buy guitars.

I don't run mine frfr i run it through 2 Matrix l212's

Rich5150 said:
I love my AxeFx it is hands down the best piece of gear i ever bought, I also have a Kemper (good deal i couldn't pass up) and one lone Tube amp a Mk V-25 with a 1-12, all i use though is the AxeFx Rig. Its expensive yes but you will not want for anything else. Ive said it before the AxeFX killed all my amp gas now i have more money to just buy guitars.

I don't run mine frfr i run it through 2 Matrix l212's

Props for hte G90! I lovethat wireless.
What is the bottom rack? Is that a tube power amp?

Its a Matrix GT1000 no tubes, Very flat solid state and loud as hell. Very popular among the modeler crowd.

I love the G90, it eats batteries like a fat kid at a buffet though LOL

Haha, that's true about the G90.
Is there any issue with running the Matrix through a normal 412? I don't fully understand the power thing, but why doesn't it clip? My cab is a 300W Marshall.

That is a good option when i get mine then... rather than spending $2000 on FRFR's (Canada...), I can just get that, and run it through my marshall cab.  :icon_thumright:

Problem with running through a regular guitar speaker cabinet is you're stuck with that sound. For instance, if you're running through a Marshall 1960A cab w/ 4 Celestion V30s, you won't be able to model a Fender Twin (or anything else) accurately. Not necessarily a Bad Thing - running a Fender Twin through a 4x12 can be awesome on steroids. But, it's not the traditional sound you'd expect. It's actually quite surprising how much influence the cabinet has on your sound. But, you can turn cabinet modelling off, and some folks do because why not run a Twin through a 412? Or a 112? or with EVM 12Ls instead of Celestion G30s? On and on, the choices are almost endless. Won't sound like a Twin, but it might sound better. At least, different.

With the FR/FR speakers, all the models sound right. Dial up a Vox AC30, and it sounds like a Vox AC30. Dial up a Mesa Dual Rectifier or Mark V and it sounds like a Mesa Dual rectifier or Mark V. Dial up a '59 Bassman, and it sounds like one. Dial up a Bad Cat or a Diezel or a Dumble and... you get the idea. You might even change things around on purpose, because you like the sound of a Twin running through a Mesa 212 bottom.

Yeah, I thought of that after. I'm now looking at the FR212 with a GT800FX and it's very attractive.

I struggled with Axe-FX or Kemper and decided to go with a Kemper mainly because I have access to all sorts of rare, vintage and out of the ordinary amps that I can profile myself without having to rely on the manufacturer to model.  I'm also into amp mods so being able to profile a Marshall with custom mods was another plus.  I was blown away by both the Kemper and Axe-FX though.    With that said, I have a POD HD Pro X and shortboard gathering dust if OP wants to buy it  :icon_biggrin:

Wolfie351 said:
I struggled with Axe-FX or Kemper and decided to go with a Kemper mainly because I have access to all sorts of rare, vintage and out of the ordinary amps that I can profile myself without having to rely on the manufacturer to model.  I'm also into amp mods so being able to profile a Marshall with custom mods was another plus.  I was blown away by both the Kemper and Axe-FX though.    With that said, I have a POD HD Pro X and shortboard gathering dust if OP wants to buy it  :icon_biggrin:

PM sent :icon_thumright:

I'd just like to thank you guys for this thread. I've been on the edge of deviating from my "tubes and stomps" and moving to a digital rig as a more practical approach to playing/writing/recording in a house with, you know, other people. The sounds of children playing is a wonderful thing of course, but not so much when you're trying to mic an amp... This thread has helped me to start looking into it.

Verne Bunsen said:
I'd just like to thank you guys for this thread. I've been on the edge of deviating from my "tubes and stomps" and moving to a digital rig as a more practical approach to playing/writing/recording in a house with, you know, other people. The sounds of children playing is a wonderful thing of course, but not so much when you're trying to mic an amp... This thread has helped me to start looking into it.
Same, and if i do go through with it, i might have a dual rec and a Marshall DSL to sell...  :laughing7: I'll have to be completely warmed up to digital before i sell those babies though.

Timmsie95 said:
Same, and if i do go through with it, i might have a dual rec and a Marshall DSL to sell...  :laughing7: I'll have to be completely warmed up to digital before i sell those babies though.

That's how I'm feeling about it: it's an expensive leap to make but I'm hesitant to start selling off my current gear to finance it without knowing for certain that I'll take to it. I'm thinking I could get myself into the Helix and a good reference speaker without breaking the bank and toy with it for a while, then decide whether or not to sell the old stuff or sell the new stuff. Upgrading to a Fractal unit would always be an option, but I can't see throwing down on all of that right out of the gate. Gears are definitely turning here. Grinding a little, but turning none the less...

Back