Les Paul apprecitiation thread. Show what ya got.

future heritage 140
140014.jpg

current Heritage 150 custom
002.jpg

I don't regret selling my elbow digging shoulder killing unbalanced  sucky clean toned beast that hangs in a radically different location from where it sits - one of the few guitars I made a profit on. Bought a used LP Studio dotneck in 89, sold it for a small profit a few years later.  I can't say there's any aspect of clean humbuckers I like.  Still it was my first decent guitar before I learned I was a Fender man

Telenator said:
Whoa! Is that a one piece bengal burst top?!!!!! Stunning!

I just have this 'ol thing lying around.

1956 Les Paul Special.

aIMG_0150lo-res.jpg
:eek:
Uh-oh that is collectors' material......how many years have you had it? And does it sound as good as the reputation they have?

Here's mine - still awaiting a little work to make it playable, but it'll happen eventually:
5486898814_2b7f3b857b_b.jpg

Death by Uberschall said:
DangerousR6 said:
That's awesome.....Love the top... :icon_thumright:

Me too, weird but cool coloring and grain pattern.  :eek:ccasion14:
You usually don't see LP's with weird tops, plus it looks like it has a one piece back... :dontknow:

That's a sweet LP Custom Bagman, would you mind telling us a bit more? What vintage, the bridge, pickups etc.

k-k-kboooman said:
That's a sweet LP Custom Bagman, would you mind telling us a bit more? What vintage, the bridge, pickups etc.

Thanks, kboman.

That's a 1972 Limited Edition Custom.  It belonged to my father in law, Leon, who passed away earlier this year.  He gave it to me before he went.  He was the second owner, and I happen to know the original purchaser as well.

The guitar is a replica of a 1954 - some accounts suggest that there were a bunch of P90-routed bodies lying around the Gibby shop for years and years after they switched over to humbuckers as the standard offering. In the early 1970's they did a limited edition run of these.  The bodies are solid mahogany - no maple cap.  The pickups are a P90 bridge and an Alnico 5 (I think) staple-pole-piece soapbar in the neck.  The original purchaser was a jazz player and decided to retrofit a rosewood archtop style bridge with a bone saddle.  This was, it turns out, a dumb idea, as far as playability is concerned - the saddle is not radiused and is only adjustable using the thumbwheels on the studs.  I'm planning to refit it with TOM, which shouldn't be hard, since the rosewood bridge mounts on the original studs. 

The guitar is also one of the fabled Fretless Wonders - it has the tiniest frets I've ever seen and they are almost completely rectangular - the are not crowned like most frets.  I'm considering a refret as well with a more conventional vintage-style fretwire, but with the bound neck it's more costly - Frank Ford's shop is across the street from  my job, and they quoted $450 for the job.

Despite its abundant playability issues, however, when plugged in and cranked up, this guitar sounds like God His own self.  It will be worth the effort required to make it play right, for sure.

Peace

Bagman

Giggers

Attachments

• lpfront_full.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 369
  • bigbengal.JPG
    291.1 KB · Views: 363
My first and only Warmoth LP, sitting in between his brothers..

Attachments

• DSC05691.JPG
    425.5 KB · Views: 327
  • DSC05704.JPG
    251.1 KB · Views: 340
IMG_0091x.jpg

Agile 3100 CSB and 3010 Goldtop; both with slight modifications.

- HighOrder custom-wound (my specs) pickups.
- One-piece mahogany bodies; unlike those press-a-wood multi-ply ones Gibson puts out.
- Mahog necks
- Long neck tenon
- Ebony fretboards
- 1 5/8" nut width
- 14" radius
- Grover tuners
- Aluminum tailpiece on the CSB
- $399.99 each (stock).

I've yet to rewire, swap out pots/toggles etc...

Tonewise, just like an old-school LP Custom from the 50's (they didn't have maple caps).

With typical mods, these guitars make Gibsons look like overpriced whores.  :icon_jokercolor:

IMG_0102x.jpg

IMG_0093x.jpg

Side shot:

AL-3100CSBF07.jpg

Classic combo:

AL-3100CSBF06.jpg

DangerousR6 said:
DangerousR6 said:

You usually don't see LP's with weird tops, plus it looks like it has a one piece back... :dontknow:

It's two piece, just a really good match.

I agree, it is as close to a "wild maple" top I've seen yet.

DangerousR6 said:
DangerousR6 said:

Ahhhhh, so it 'tis...I just didn't look at it closely enuff... :doh:

DangerousR6 said:
DangerousR6 said:
DangerousR6 said:

Ahhhhh, so it 'tis...I just didn't look at it closely enuff... :doh:

Forgot to mention, it's chambered too.  :icon_thumright:

Back