Keith Richard Telecaster ~Micawber~ (not quite, inspired by)

Blue313 said:
Alright Max!!!!  :hello2:   Glad to see you're feeling the Tele love.  You shouldn't have too much trouble with some Zeppelin tones with that bridge pickup.

As far as the hum goes though, is it still there when just the neck pickup is on?
Nope. And it's still there middle position too. If I turn the tone knob down all the way, the humming is mostly gone... Maybe I'll check that wiring again... And if the volume is all the way down, there's an almost staticy-gargling sound...

great Tele!!

also, your record collection looks a lot like mine when I was your age..
( I miss my vinyl collection :()

Max said:
Blue313 said:
Alright Max!!!!  :hello2:  Glad to see you're feeling the Tele love.  You shouldn't have too much trouble with some Zeppelin tones with that bridge pickup.

As far as the hum goes though, is it still there when just the neck pickup is on?
Nope. And it's still there middle position too. If I turn the tone knob down all the way, the humming is mostly gone... Maybe I'll check that wiring again... And if the volume is all the way down, there's an almost staticy-gargling sound...

you've probably checked this, but do you have the wires on the output jack socket reversed?  I did on mine after a re-wire once, and it made all kindsa horrible noises.  Reversed them back again, and it was fine.  Might be worth a little check.

Max said:
Well, there's a fairly annoying hum that goes away when I touch a metal part of the guitar, but other than that, I think Micawber is pretty much done.

Oh, yeah, those picture things...
The guitar:
<snip>
So, the sound...
I generally play on the "Crunch" setting on my Line 6 Spider III 15w. I can get a lot of classic rock sounds from my humbucker there. As long as the treble isn't maxed, the bridge sounds pretty good. With the hb only, on the clean channel, I get a pretty good acoustic sound, which I'm happy about. The tele sounds... like a great tele, I guess. I can get a nice woman tone by maxing the drive, treble, mids, and bass, while having only the hb on, with the tone rolled all the way down. I'm planning on getting it set up professionally soon, but for now, the low E buzzes once you get around the 15th fret. I don't have it painted yet, but I'm thinking about just putting clear nitro on. I really like how it looks now, and the neck feels pretty good. What is the best feeling neck finish you guys have tried? (besides raw :p)

I'm pleased so far with my first Warmoth, and hope on ordering more eventually. Possibly next year.

Awesome, Max!! congratulations!

DocNrock said:
Nice, Max.  How are you liking the PAF 36th?
I'm liking it a lot. It's got a sweet sound to my ears, but I don't have much time under my belt with other guitars to have an honest comparison. It's a bridge pup, but it's in the neck position. Not by design, but just assumption that the N in the name meant neck. I guess it meant nickel. Still sounds good. It's backed off the strings a lot. Maybe only sticking up a 16th of an inch or so. I like the sound all along the tone knob (yes, you shredders. I use a tone knob), but my high E is a bit quiet. It's louder than on my bridge pup, but still... I'm using d'addario nickel wound 10's, except the high E is a ernie ball slinky 11. Bought 4 high E's in case I break more.

Max..stay thhe course! This is gonna be sweet when its done. :headbang1: All that effort , time and expense and stuff is rally the best way for most people to end up getting it done I think!

Max said:
DocNrock said:
I'm liking it a lot. It's got a sweet sound to my ears, but I don't have much time under my belt with other guitars to have an honest comparison. It's a bridge pup, but it's in the neck position. Not by design, but just assumption that the N in the name meant neck. I guess it meant nickel. Still sounds good. It's backed off the strings a lot. Maybe only sticking up a 16th of an inch or so. I like the sound all along the tone knob (yes, you shredders. I use a tone knob), but my high E is a bit quiet. It's louder than on my bridge pup, but still..
Does that PAF have adjustable polepieces?

Blue313 said:
Max said:
DocNrock said:
I'm liking it a lot. It's got a sweet sound to my ears, but I don't have much time under my belt with other guitars to have an honest comparison. It's a bridge pup, but it's in the neck position. Not by design, but just assumption that the N in the name meant neck. I guess it meant nickel. Still sounds good. It's backed off the strings a lot. Maybe only sticking up a 16th of an inch or so. I like the sound all along the tone knob (yes, you shredders. I use a tone knob), but my high E is a bit quiet. It's louder than on my bridge pup, but still..
Does that PAF have adjustable polepieces?

Yeah Max, the idea of a humbucker in the neck position and a Tele bridge pickup, means you have to back off the humbucker a lot to get a reasonable balance between the two pickups.

I have a Warmoth Tele, made from Ash. Weighs a ton, but the whole inspiration behind it was the pickup. It is an L series Tele pickup (about 1965). I also have a Guild Humbucker that is very mild in it's output (came from an old jazzer), that I used to use with it in an old Yamaha body.
At the moment my Tele is set up like an Esquire as I wanted to hear the different sound from the one pickup. But I am keen to get to work and get the humbucker in.

This is the first set up in a guitar that I had many years ago. Bar the problems you face with the humbucker overpowering most Tele bridge pickups around, you also have the problems about the cavity space - or lack of it  - for your controls, and what rating in the Pots to use.

I ended up using the humbucker for lead parts, and the Tele bridge pickup for rhythms/chords, when both pickups were in that old Yamaha body.

GREAT GUITAR MAX!!!!!

Super Turbo Deluxe Custom said:
DangerousR6 said:
Speaking of KR, check this out, funny as hell...

I forget when that aired originally, but I think it was on HBO and I think I was in HS.  I remember thinking Chuck was an A-hole, they weren't that much different and it was hard work to just jam.  There was a part with James Brown as well and him talking about how his music required a "funky guitar."  There was a demonstration soon after.

Lol! Keef always said that everytime he crossed paths with Chuck, he'd end up bruised or battered. I think in this case, his ego was what took the battering. I think that's footage from the Hail, Hail Rock N Roll Concert video, from the rehearsals for the show.

It's kinda funny seeing someone with the stature of Keef being brought down to a humble student, all over the way he does a string bend. Damn rocking though when they finally got their sh*t together.  :headbang1:

Thanks, guys!
Once I get that hum sorted out, and I get my high E to be a bit louder, the sound of the guitar is pretty great to me.

OzziePete said:
Lol! Keef always said that everytime he crossed paths with Chuck, he'd end up bruised or battered. I think in this case, his ego was what took the battering. I think that's footage from the Hail, Hail Rock N Roll Concert video, from the rehearsals for the show.

It's kinda funny seeing someone with the stature of Keef being brought down to a humble student, all over the way he does a string bend. Damn rocking though when they finally got their sh*t together.  :headbang1:

It could just be in the editing, but the looks on the other band members' faces were like, "Man!  We feel your pain.  Been there, done that brother."

Super Turbo Deluxe Custom said:
OzziePete said:

It could just be in the editing, but the looks on the other band members' faces were like, "Man!  We feel your pain.  Been there, done that brother."

I actually thought they were thinking "this Keith guy kinda sucks"  :icon_biggrin:

Back