Kahler Bass trem, anyone?

LorgarForneus

I'm thinking of getting a tremolo system to retrofit to one of my current basses (4-string Cort), but I'm not sure whether to go with the Kahler, or a Hipshot? By the looks of it, I'd need to remove less wood for the Kahler, so I'm leaning towards that. Anyone with experience in these things?

I have a vintage Kahler now and am looking for a body. 

One thing to consider...there are 2 types of bass kahlers.  Once has forward facing saddles the other has rear facing saddles.  The later does not have as much "bomb" potential as the former.  However...the one with forward facing saddles needs a good 3 inches between the line of innotation and the read of the bass for proper install.  Many fenders do not have this.

I am not sure the specs on the hip shot.  Just make sure you measure!

Due to where the bridge is on my Cort, I may have to go with the rear-facing saddles. On the custom bass I have planned I'd use the forward-facing ones, definitely, so long as the thing could hold tuning :p I'm planning to tune it all the way up to drop-C#.

As for the 4-string, that will be tuned down to Drop-C#, so I'll be using pretty heavy strings. I want to be able to bomb a little bit, but I don't need radical bombing, so the rearward saddles should be okay. I was just considering Kahler because I heard it was more stable tuning-wise than the Hipshot.

Back