Jason Newsted & Warmoth!

Greenfisted

I just came across a cool bit of info. Jason Newsted auditioned for Metallica using a Warmoth bass! Check out this vid, it's at about 2:00. http://www.emginc.com/videos/emgtv/20/119

Super Turbo Deluxe Custom said:
Even that Sadowsky he's holding during some of the interview, don't know the extent of the details, but Sadowsky is also a Warmoth customer.

*was* a customer.  That was many, many years ago.

Cool to hear Jason give Warmoth props though.

I love the EMG 35 DC's in my G4, but I prefer the sound of passive pickups in guitars. The distortion doesn't sound good and "too synthy" and the bass sounds a little too heavy on many samples I've heard, but having the preamp could be a good thing for som. I like the sound of the EMG 85 with little gain. I suppose if you set the treble high enough, it could dampen the bass a little.

I used to badmouth em like everyone else until I got hold of a buddie's 70's strat w/ EMG-S'  in it. Discovering that there are THREE MORE POSITIONS on a strat was actually very cool.

swarfrat said:
I used to badmouth em like everyone else until I got hold of a buddie's 70's strat w/ EMG-S'  in it. Discovering that there are THREE MORE POSITIONS on a strat was actually very cool.

I have to say that I was also pleasantly surprised when I first played Luke's Strat with Gilmour EMG's in them

this guy makes EMG's sound great too btw:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLdXZMzJJPc

I've found EMG's to be like any other pickup... Available
in different flavors.....
I had a 40DC in my Modulus for years, and swapped it out
with a 40TW, which has the "ceramic" magnets.... Quite warm sounding
to my ears, which for an instrument with a graphite neck is saying
a LOT.... That could also be a function of my particular bass/technique, but who knows....
I'm not calling EMG an end-all by any means, but there are a number of
non-metal players (Wooten, endorsed or not, being the prime example) that
are quite happy with them....

I bought a brand new ESP M-II back in '2006 than came with EMG-81 pickups. I had the guitar for about two whole weeks before I ripped out the EMGs along with all related components, and installed a set of Seymour Duncan passive humbuckers (probably voided the warranty by doing that), and I've never looked back.
I then gave the EMGs to a friend (for FREE) to install in his Epiphone Les Paul.
Those pickups go for $200/pair, but they weren't worth squat to me.

To each his own.

To kind of bring this back around, did Newsted look funny to ya'll?  He's never been a big guy, but this is the skinniest I've ever seen him.  He had a little bit of acne thing going too.  Just speculation, but that's usually consistent with heroin and/or meth.  You usually don't get skinnier or develope teenage acne as you age.

I think you may be right....
But man, those guys put him through some s***....
I'm thinking he's still got a sore spot there....
Metallica treats the guy like crap for over a decade, fires him,
THEN decides to act like humans and wind up getting a new guy...
That might give me a twitch too.....

Super Turbo Deluxe Custom said:
To kind of bring this back around, did Newsted look funny to ya'll?  He's never been a big guy, but this is the skinniest I've ever seen him.  He had a little bit of acne thing going too.  Just speculation, but that's usually consistent with heroin and/or meth.  You usually don't get skinnier or develope teenage acne as you age.

Yeah you are right about that. He doesn't look well. Although he is 47, and those Alcoholica boys did some serious abuse to their bodies back in the day. Maybe his health is just failing him.

Back in the day, they were known more as drunks or functioning alcoholics and not really drug users.  Within the last 10 years is when some of them discovered heroin.

Back