Jag Project - How long have you been waiting?

I think maybe he's out in the woodshed. Haven't heard from him since I shipped him that Jaguar.

I'm sure he's with you in spirit.

As far as I know, he never did post any pictures of his Jag, so here's one...

JordansJag.jpg

Design by Leo Fender, a lovely Tonar finish, and my tender ministrations.

Yeah. He went all out... Warmoth body and neck, nitro finish by Tonar, Lollar pickups, Mastery bridge, neck work/wiring/assembly/setup by me. As Jags go, a tough one to beat. One of the more challenging builds I've done. Lotta problems. Could've invented a lotta new cuss words if I weren't such a potty mouth already.

Don't let these grumpies dampen your spirits, Altar!  Get out the chisels and get whackin' on that trem hole!  :icon_jokercolor:

Try, if you can, to source the parts to implement some of the refinements that the Johnny Marr Jag has. They have been a  godsend to some of the issues surrounding Jags. (nylon bushings for the trem arm, Mustang styled roller bridge, tighter bridge stud fit, beefier Bare knuckle pickups, two - high pass filters, 4 way lever switch - inc a series switch).
Those improvements might save you some of the cussing that Cagey mentioned.

I'm looking at alternate switching/wiring options for this jag. I like the trem arm bushings, OSG has one that costs a matter of cents. I'm a wierdo that actually really likes the traditional jag bridges, they feel good under my palm. I might eventually get a staytrem or mastery bridge.

Thanks Tyler, all I needed was that one little bit of internet self assurance to get me going! :toothy12:

I'm using klean strip, looks like I'll need two rounds of the stuff. It's coming off pretty easy, which is good.

Jazzmaster vibratos are cool with me, i don't understand why everybody hates them. Sure i use them with a rolling tom bridge and locking tuners from Schaller, but as far as vibratos go, is the best i've ever used. I hate floyds, and the Strato style ones actually gave me lots of problems with tuning.
Are you going to refinish it in Olympic White?

Everything succumbs to the power of Methylene Chloride. Get the right stripper, or you're going to be goofing around with that body forever. Also, it's worth it to take some fairly coarse sandpaper, like say 80 grit or so, and cut the surface up. You don't actually have to sand anything off - in fact it's better if you don't - but breaking the surface allows the stripper to attack things much more aggressively. Saves you a lotta time and maybe two or three applications of melting stuff.

Do yourself a favor. Buy yourself one of these...

POR-342-2.jpg

... or something like it. You'll thank yourself over and over. They're typically in the $40 range.

A sander will not touch this. Slow, careful stripping. I have multiple rotary and electric sanders, but they mess with the contours, and the stripping isn't too hard.

No, you're right - a sander won't help with the stripping. Foolish to even try. But, it's going to get to the point where paint removal chemicals aren't helping much, and you'll need to clear the wood. You don't want to sand by hand because you risk putting waves in the flat surfaces. Then, when you put the new finish on, it'll look like a dingbat did it. You can use block sanders, and they not only work well but are absolutely necessary when you start applying the actual finish, but when you're tearing the thing down you don't want to work so hard.

"...You don't want to sand by hand because you risk putting waves in the flat surfaces"...
Word.

Cagey said:
No, you're right - a sander won't help with the stripping. Foolish to even try. But, it's going to get to the point where paint removal chemicals aren't helping much, and you'll need to clear the wood. You don't want to sand by hand because you risk putting waves in the flat surfaces. Then, when you put the new finish on, it'll look like a dingbat did it. You can use block sanders, and they not only work well but are absolutely necessary when you start applying the actual finish, but when you're tearing the thing down you don't want to work so hard.
Shyt, that sander will to get that right off..It'll take chunks outta the wood if you got the right grit paper..I know, I've got one and I've done it... :laughing7:

Back