Jag Project - How long have you been waiting?

Maybe it's Fullerplast. It was a pretty wicked base. They used to dip those old bodies in that stuff, and it was on there for good. Stuff just laughs at sandpaper, strippers, etc.

I think so. But, it was basically polyester or polyurethane, which have similar properties, so if somebody shot that on there you'd have the same problems. You need a serious stripper based on methylene chloride, not that sissy tree-hugger crap based on citric acid that's about as desirable and effective a stripper as Hillary Clinton. The good stuff is seriously toxic, though, so you have to be careful with it. I mean, the stuff can kill you. A painter's or surgeon's mask isn't enough, you need a respirator or a good face-hugging mask suitable for volatile organic filtering. But, if you can find it, it works like a charm.

Sounds fun!!!! :toothy10:

I think I'll stick to the sissy stuff. It was bad enough when I got a glob on my hand and it melted the skin all weird. It was strangely amusing, through tears.

Stripping a finish is never fun, which is a good reason to use something that gets the job done in a reasonable length of time with a minimum amount of effort.

Cagey said:
Altar said:
swarfrat said:
Hey you! Yes, you! We're STILL waiting!

Flew right over my head.

Look at the title. It's been 76 posts and still no Jag, would be my guess.

Yes, exactly! (Though I'm not one to talk. 18 months? Really?). Mostly I think of Another Brick in the Wall Pt 2 every time I see the thread title.

Cagey said:
I think so. But, it was basically polyester or polyurethane, which have similar properties, so if somebody shot that on there you'd have the same problems. You need a serious stripper based on methylene chloride, not that sissy tree-hugger crap based on citric acid that's about as desirable and effective a stripper as Hillary Clinton. The good stuff is seriously toxic, though, so you have to be careful with it. I mean, the stuff can kill you. A painter's or surgeon's mask isn't enough, you need a respirator or a good face-hugging mask suitable for volatile organic filtering. But, if you can find it, it works like a charm.

Cagey's not BS'ing ya! Respiratory protection isn't the only thing you would need to safely handle that stuff; get neoprene gloves and a plastic apron, too! Your mask should cover your eyes as well; the vapors alone will have you involuntarily clamping you eyes shut to squeeze the now toxic tears out! I work in the chemical industry, and handle that solvent at least a few times a week, so take it from me, if the ingredients of your stripper include that or any of it's other names (dichloromethane, DCM, or MeCl2 to name a few) then you wanna take some serious precautions.

-Didn't mean to go off like that, but I hate the thought of anyone getting hurt.  :sad1:

swarfrat said:
Hey you! Yes, you! We're STILL waiting!

:laughing7:

file_zpsa392353e.jpg

Day-mun said:
Cagey said:

Cagey's not BS'ing ya! Respiratory protection isn't the only thing you would need to safely handle that stuff; get neoprene gloves and a plastic apron, too! Your mask should cover your eyes as well; the vapors alone will have you involuntarily clamping you eyes shut to squeeze the now toxic tears out! I work in the chemical industry, and handle that solvent at least a few times a week, so take it from me, if the ingredients of your stripper include that or any of it's other names (dichloromethane, DCM, or MeCl2 to name a few) then you wanna take some serious precautions.

-Didn't mean to go off like that, but I hate the thought of anyone getting hurt.  :sad1:

Thanks! :icon_thumright:

I'm aware that I should be wearing safety gear. I forget sometimes, but this junk that I've got now just stings. It's well ventilated, and I wear glasses, so apart form the occasional drip, I'm covered.

Cagey said:

Having just read this I think I am going to have weird nightmares tonight..... I'm trying hard to get the image out of my head now...  :sad:  :sad1:  :-\

Hehe! Janet Reno used to be my go-to girl when I needed extreme examples of deep, meaningful ugly. But, ol' shrillary is looking more than a little ragged these days and is arguably more well-known, so she'll do.

Almost there...

Yay or nay?

Not as if it's my guitar or anything...  :icon_biggrin:

I'm thinking I might prep it and send it off to Tonar for a burst and then I'll spray oly. white over... Only problem is that he does amazing work and I'll be crying my eyes out as I cover up the most perfect target burst the world has ever seen. :sad:

But, this way I get to try new things... I'll have a minty white guitar for a while, until I have a beat to hell sunburst. Yay!

Of course, I may just keep the burst, or not get a burst at all and go straight up white or otm or greened lpb...

Matching headstock?

:doh:

I believe I need a jag for each day of the year.

:blob7:

Also leaning towards a custom set of ROADHOUSE PICKUPS! Which I will go for probably unless I get a really good deal on another set.

Great Ape said:
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzz.......

:toothy12:

My apologies, I'm a slow worker... Anyone can pm me if they want to help things along with a donation. :laughing7:

:blob7:

Back