Jag Project - How long have you been waiting?

alterbridgefan

:blob7: My first post - worthy project!

Here we go! I want a good jag, so for lack of funds I need to do it myself. 

First off, tell me all you can about this. Neck plate is stamped F and the serial number 182837. '65? Has most of the original shielding, but gone in the hummer cavity. Should I replace or repair?

It may look BAD, but what I have to work with is original body and plates, and shielding. It will need a lot, though. Tell me what you know!

photo17h.jpg

photo3obc.jpg

Neck pocket leads me to believe that it was CAR.
photo4pom.jpg

The only routing/chilesing/chipping was for the hummer, and the only filling for the trem. If I go ahead with this, I'll be stripping the finish, routing the cavity, filling in all(?) of the holes, fill the hummer route, reroute for the bridge pup, drill everything, and that will be the end of the body work. Hoping for a good neck. I'm thinking about finishes, LPB with mint, surf green with tort and olympic white with parchment are high on the list...

I could buy a new body, but what's the fun in that?

If all goes well, this will be very close to vintage spec (Sorry Cagey).

Don't get me wrong I love vintage guitars, and your quest is admirable. But a 12 string Floyd, c'mon what's not to like about that... :headbang1:

And if you don't have a need for that bridge, I'd be interested in it... :icon_thumright:

That's such a unique instrument, it seems a shame to try to "restore" it.  If I remember correctly from when you first posted that, you said your dad did the modifications.  For that reason alone, you should leave it and just pick up a freshly made body and vintage spec the bits and pieces.

Although, I am curious to see what Doug would do with a 12 string Floyd...

Altar said:

:dontknow:  How on earth do you use that Floyd without the block ?  .......  :icon_scratch:

Put a TOM and Tail on it.
Make a swimming pool route.
Put 2 singles and a Hum in it. (or any combo at a later date)  :icon_thumright:

Buy a Dremel  :icon_biggrin:

You guys are so predictable! :toothy12:

It's not what it seems, although I don't know how you could find that attractive. :laughing7: The string spacing is whacked, and with all those buttons and switches there is only one usable sound I can get from it. Not to mention it's just hideous.

The Floyd was hardtailed by two woodscrews. It was one he had lying around, and he could clamp two strings in each saddle. I have no other pieces. As far as floyds go, I might have another that would interest you, doug... But not at the moment. And I really do want to see you make a 12 string with a floyd rose, even if just for laughs. :headbang1:

As far as sentimental value, my dad's still around, so no guilt there. :icon_biggrin: It's something he'll probably end up working on with me.

Here's one already done, and it's only $149 in the box, out the door...

corvus625toastsurfgreen1.jpg

Brand spankin' new, and you could be playing it by next Thursday. Save you a helluva lotta turd-polishing and still give you a crummy bridge and tailpiece.

Cagey said:
Here's one already done, and it's only $149 in the box, out the door...

corvus625toastsurfgreen1.jpg

Brand spankin' new, and you could be playing it by next Thursday. Save you a helluva lotta turd-polishing and still give you a crummy bridge and tailpiece.

I find this to be quite hideous.

You see, Cagey - I don't work with cheap guitars. They just don't do it for me. Now I either buy an AVRI, laying down roughly $1200 for a used one, or I take advantage of the fact that I have a '65/'66 body lying around waiting to be equipped with AVRI parts, but I get more options. I get more mojo (L@@K! :toothy12:) that way. Any color I want, maybe some custom roadhouse pups. Maybe a custom neck, with a nice, chunky profile, and a great tonar nitro finish. Maybe bypass the rythm circuit, or get some custom plates made by Paul Rhoney. Check out Dave Wronski's jags:

http://slackercaster.com/slackercaster/champagne.html

Not only has he been a huge help in securing parts already, his guitars were really the inspiration for this project. They really made me step back and see how cool vintage/modern really is.

And what is the big deal about the vibrato tailpieces? I've played plenty, and the AVRI ones stay in tune just fine. When I play, the only time I really use it is for subtle pitch changes, I don't wang on it like a metalhead with a floyd. I love the position of the trem arm, it feels perfect with my hands.

Sorry guys....

Nah. :icon_biggrin:

Cagey said:
Save you a helluva lotta turd-polishing and still give you a crummy bridge and tailpiece.

I dunno, I think the practice is worth the turd-polishing effort.  If nothing else, practicing stripping & reapplying a finish (and doing whatever is possible to cover up the impression of the former bridge - yuck!) is worth it.  Plus, experimenting w/ electronics is a fun plus.  Vintage spec jaguar = yeggh. :tard:

+ 1 to teh MAX on keeping it as a 12 string, though the Gotoh bridge might serve you better.

If the trem is just the worst thing in the world and I can't get the guitar to stay tuned I'll just get a hardtail conversion plate made.

JM003.jpg

ihnpts said:
I dunno, I think the practice is worth the turd-polishing effort.  If nothing else, practicing stripping & reapplying a finish (and doing whatever is possible to cover up the impression of the former bridge - yuck!) is worth it.  Plus, experimenting w/ electronics is a fun plus.  Vintage spec jaguar = yeggh. :tard:

That's a point. Best to learn to bend, fold, spindle and mutilate on something expendable than on expensive parts that'll break your heart if you trash them.

Altar said:
You guys are so predictable! :toothy12:

It's not what it seems, although I don't know how you could find that attractive. :laughing7: The string spacing is whacked, and with all those buttons and switches there is only one usable sound I can get from it. Not to mention it's just hideous.

The Floyd was hardtailed by two woodscrews. It was one he had lying around, and he could clamp two strings in each saddle. I have no other pieces. As far as floyds go, I might have another that would interest you, doug... But not at the moment. And I really do want to see you make a 12 string with a floyd rose, even if just for laughs. :headbang1:

As far as sentimental value, my dad's still around, so no guilt there. :icon_biggrin: It's something he'll probably end up working on with me.
I've got plenty of Floyds, and it has nothing to do with a 12 string, but that one is pre-fine tuners, which I've been searching for..That's why I'm interested in that one... :icon_biggrin:

BTW--If that "F" neckplate is the original for that neck & body, then the guitar is from the 70's I believe, not '65...that's probably an easy internet search/find.

OK--My mistake...just did an online search, and if it was indeed made in the usa, then it's a '66-'67...I still think the "F" neckplates are from the 70's, though....

The F plates were 70's, but the serial/F plates were CBS transitional era... '65/'66. The serial number lines up with that as well.

Tunas came today. Everyone's favorite - Fender Klusons! :toothy12:

You guys will hate me so much...

Where's tipperman? Maybe he can talk some sense into you guys? :icon_biggrin:

Back