INSTALLING FRETS ON A COMPOUND RADIUS FRETBOARD W/ BINDING

Surtur

Hi all,
I'm going to install the frets by myself, the fretboard I got is compound radius with binding. Are there any special techniques/tools for that?
I'm gonna be using a hammer and tapping technique.

Thanks!

My first thought is that you should take that to a good tech immediately if you have never practiced this sorta thing on some el cheapo guitar first.

with binding you'll need a decent tang snipper, else you'll biff up the binding.  stew-mac advertises one.

I've just shot a load of video following me fretting Robert Fripps next guitar, complete with binding, I'll post a link here as soon as I have some editing done..

Thank you, I've got around 270GB of hd video to edit down now following two builds from start to finish.. just saying that is knackering!!  I'll the beginnings of the first build on youtube and vimeo in a week or so..

I'm not sure why some of you guys would rather fret your own necks. Especially a bound neck, frankly if you have to ask you're in over your head.

oldprospector said:
I'm not sure why some of you guys would rather fret your own necks. Especially a bound neck, frankly if you have to ask you're in over your head. 

Maybe they've wanted stainless frets. Once you get a taste of those, it's tough to accept the status quo.

Back