Indian Rosewood/Macassar Ebony Strat neck

line6man

Epic Member
My new neck showed up today!  :icon_biggrin:
This is my third Warmoth neck, but the first in over two and a half years now. :blob7:

Specs:
Stratocaster®,
Warmoth Pro ,
Right Handed Handed,
Indian Rosewood,
Ebony (Macassar) Fretboard,
1 5/8" Nut Width,
Standard thin,
SS6150 (Stainless),
Schaller (25/64", 11/32") Tuner Ream,
21 frets,
10-16" Compound Radius,
No Inlay,Side Dots Only Inlay,
R2 Floyd Prep, w/ Mounting Holes,
25-1/2 in. Scale,
Standard 4 Bolt,
Unique Choice: FB1288
FB1288a.jpg

Unfortunately, my camera's battery was dying on me right when I was taking pictures, so all I have right now are a handful of crappy pics. I will post more and better pics when my battery is charged. :blob7:

6212671576_a1b91f208c_b.jpg

6212678296_e3c7be3a0f_b.jpg

6212218375_2c6947c008_b.jpg

6212162809_83c8c50bef_b.jpg

Damn, that's nice!!!!  Love that brown ripple in the ebony.  What kind of wood is the body?

Damn, Dude!  That is awesome!  I'm loving what I'll call "Picture #2" of the entire neck, fretboard up.

It looks great with the body, too!!!

Don't rush this thing of beauty!!!

They could not have picked a better piece of Mac to compliment the body you built.  Congrats, man!  :hello2:

And now I can't get any good pics because there is no sunlight. :tard:

6213347452_38cfe7986f_b.jpg

6212850525_23ea7a3a87_b.jpg

6213363226_d9837880b4_b.jpg

6213358878_5a87d0040d_b.jpg

I got the tuners, nut and string retainer on. I hope the string retainer doesn't look too funky. I had to angle it to keep the end from sticking out past the edge of the headstock.
6213081278_0b69b7869a_b.jpg

crash said:
Damn, that's nice!!!!  Love that brown ripple in the ebony.  What kind of wood is the body?

Figured Pomelle Bubinga with a Curly Black Walnut core and a Flamed Maple accent line.
6198784125_bc9a8de125_b.jpg

(For the observant, yes, that is a slight hump along the curvature of the horn. That was sanded out.)

The picture with the neck shows the Bubinga dry, but it is very chatoyant under a finish. I wanted a more subtle fretboard to contrast the laminate top, without drawing attention away from it, but I thought black Gaboon Ebony would be boring, so I chose the Macassar.

I love your new wood!!!
nut there are some fluffy beard hairs on it..

how do you like the feel of the indian rw?

Very nice looking neck you have there!  Hope your build goes as planned.  Just curious why you chose 21 frets for a shred guitar, as most shred guitars have an even number of frets.  All the same, I can't wait to see the finished build, it looks like it's going to be fantastic!!

samgoody said:
Very nice looking neck you have there!  Hope your build goes as planned.  Just curious why you chose 21 frets for a shred guitar, as most shred guitars have an even number of frets.  All the same, I can't wait to see the finished build, it looks like it's going to be fantastic!!

I didn't want to deal with the overhang gap with no pickguard. I've become used to the 21 frets on my other Strat, and the Floyd will allow me to reach the last note when needed.

Man, that is gonna be one beautiful instrument! Normally, I'm not a big fan of Macassar, but that piece is certainly a game-changer. And as has been mentioned, it complements that top perfectly.

Cagey said:
Man, that is gonna be one beautiful instrument! Normally, I'm not a big fan of Macassar, but that piece is certainly a game-changer. And as has been mentioned, it complements that top perfectly.

It really depends on the piece. Some Macassar is ugly or odd looking. The grain pattern in Macassar is different from a lot of other woods in that there is a great contrast from black to light tan. Most fretboards don't have that "two-tone" effect, and simply vary between shades of one color. The really stripey pieces of Macassar can be questionable. I like that this particular piece had a subtlety to it, however, similar to Gaboon, but with some tan stripes that don't take away from the black fretboard look.

As a side note, in addition to the way the fretboard contrasts and compliments the Bubinga, I can appreciate that the very straight grain of the Rosewood contrasts the very distorted patterns in the Walnut and Bubinga. I need to wet the Walnut and get a picture of the back of the guitar with the neck. Walnut has a very different color dry than wet/finished, and I've only seen the dry body with the neck, so far. :blob7:

Marko said:
I love your new wood!!!
nut there are some fluffy beard hairs on it..

how do you like the feel of the indian rw?

I told you you were forbidden to look upon these images until you sold your son's toys and grew out a hippie beard to sell to a wigmaker, so you could afford to buy that showcase body I liked!  :sad:

That really is a gorgeous neck. I don't think the string-retainer looks bad at all. I remember the thread about the guy's guitar where his retainer stuck out at the treble side, so, good work in avoiding that.

That's a beautiful neck, well matched to such a well-crafted body. And dotless just gets it to the top. That guitar is going to be an incredibly hard act to follow.

WOW  :blob7: Line6man .......... that looks simply gorgeous with out inlays
Looks like a flame effect right up the fretboard, great unique choice. :icon_thumright:

Just now saw this post and I must say I am in utter awe over that neck. The Macassar Ebony is very amazing.  :eek:

Back