I'm wearing a hole in Kashmir!

mayfly

Epic Member
Hi folks,

Old timers will likely remember my build of 'Kashmir' - a green paisley, Tonar finished, b-bender installed, Doug-equipped, GOM winning telecaster.  Here's a photo from when it was fresh:

kashmir_web_full.jpg

I like this guitar a lot.  I've used it on pretty much every Cornflower Blue album, and I'm wearing impressive divots in the frets. What I didn't realize is that I'm wearing a hole in it!  Specifically where my fingers touch the top of it when I'm playing:

index.php

Here's a closeup.

index.php

That's interesting!!
So... what to do:  Should I re-finish it?  Or should I keep going and let the relic-ing process continue?

Attachments

• IMG_3976.JPG
    IMG_3976.JPG
    831.5 KB · Views: 926
  • IMG_3977.JPG
    IMG_3977.JPG
    918 KB · Views: 727
I say play it until it falls apart and then play it some more! It is earning those scars under real playing conditions and that is a good thing.

They say scars are only as good as their stories..

Intentional scars are known by psychologists as 'cutting' and sign of mental illness.
If the story is embarassing, try to repair it.
If it's an honest scar from hard work, wear it as a badge of honor.

I do gotta say though - how do you wear that hole on an ashtray bridge Tele without first wearing a hole in the skin of your picking fingers? You got a pretty narrow winder thar. Ouch.

Fingernails can do a lotta damage to a finish and subsequently the wood underneath without much effort. I have a buddy I won't let play my guardless guitars because he sports what look like bear claws on his picking hand. Don't know why - he couldn't finger pick if his life depended on it. It's just an affectation that sometimes causes people to ask what's wrong with him and he then has the opportunity to say he plays guitar.

Check out Willie Nelson's guitar after years of his tender ministrations...

5243593666_6e848f59de_b.jpg

I forgot to say - Mayfly, I'd leave it alone until the whole guitar needs a refinish. I'm not a fan of "relic'd" guitars for a number of reasons, but as has been pointed out, yours is an earned blemish. If the body gets otherwise damaged to where a refinish is in order, then that's different. Don't wanna drive a rag ride.

Dented frets, though, are unacceptable RFN. You needs to send that baby here for some R&R.

I'm in agreement with everyone else, but for one possible thing.  How about a custom pickguard, where it extends past where your fingers rest?  Just to keep the damaged area from spreading.  I mean, it's a clear guard anyway.

The best way to relic a guitar in my opinion is over 30 years of playing.
It's mileage in a marathon, not strides in a sprint.

Time is the best method, and time spent playing is even better.

If anything it only enhances the look - you could drop in some clear lacquer to protect it from spreading if the tactile thing affects the way you play, but it's something I wouldn't hide.  My eyes only registered "That's a killer guitar."

Spookily enough Willie Nelson's guitar mentioned by Cagey, is featured in a video from StewMac published in the last hour or two.

[youtube]https://youtu.be/uhQuJTc5yFY[/youtube]

Keep playing that beauty. Like others have said, honest wear is fine and just adds character.

ghotiphry said:
I'm in agreement with everyone else, but for one possible thing.  How about a custom pickguard, where it extends past where your fingers rest?  Just to keep the damaged area from spreading.  I mean, it's a clear guard anyway.
I like ghotiphry's suggestion. Either that, or just let it be. Good honest wear is like good honest work: Often spoken of but seldom accomplished. Scars are memories written on our flesh, and on the lives of those we love. And sometimes on our guitars....  :icon_thumright:

Personally,  I'm enjoying how chewed up my green telecaster is getting.

Attachments

• 15024246207191376676760.jpg
    15024246207191376676760.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 398
Don't you guys ever cut your nails?  :toothy10:

As a bass guy, I keep mine nice and tight.  I don't like the sound when I get nail instead of finger meat when plucking a string.

I hate the sound and feel of fingernails on a bass.  Luckily, I'm not a bass player, and only pretend to be one very infrequently.  'Cause I need my nails for the guitar.  Without 'em, I lose the sharp attack I prefer for a lot of sounds. 

Back