[amateur hour] Rescuing a Warmoth Strat

• Thread starter weezingthejuicebodhi
  • Start date
I kinda got the impression he had some money in his pocket, building a Warmoth sounded cool, he started the build, then decided to scrap it when it went south.

I'm really excited to get things thing put back together. It sounded absolutely killer after the setup and electronics swap.

Will do! I should be able to post some post-poly pictures tonight and hopefully the complete rebuild when the rest of the plastic parts come in.

I'd put it back together as is tonight, but its a pain taking the neck and strings off to get the pickguard off each time. Figured I'll just wait and do it once.

Heh.  I made the mistake of trying to do a pickguard change without taking off the strings once.  Once.  Scratched the hell out of the pickguard and had to replace it.  You sure you need to take off the neck to change the guard tho?

ghotiphry said:
You sure you need to take off the neck to change the guard tho?

If he's got a fretboard extension on the neck, then yes!  :eek:ccasion14:

Yeah, the overhang from the neck just about kisses the neck pickup. I could probably break the skinny portion of the pickguard above the neck pickup to make it easier in the future, but otherwise the neck needs to come off to get the guard off in one piece.

Topcoat Update:

So I elected to go with the wipe-on Poly finish after kicking around gloss vs. satin.

I decided to put on 4-5 liberal coats of poly over the course of about 5 hours. I know conventional time spacing dictates to usually wait longer, but the room was warm and the wood was very porous so it sucked up the finish quick.  Besides, I really wanted 'one good coat' (in my mind at least) so I didn't want to put a ton of poly on over the course of days.

I let the body dry for about ~36 hours then I hit it lightly with 320, steel wool, 1000, then a little bit of wax.

SZkiYH3.jpg

Igir7iZ.jpg

OsIniTq.jpg

Slqgb30.jpg

Overall: B-

For my first go around with this I'm very pleased and I think I've just triggered the beginning of a new hobby. I'm really happy with the smoothness and texture of the finish. I didn't expect it to come out as good as it did!

As for as things I would probably do differently in the future:

I would go back with the 120 and hit get the surface scratches on the back out. They don't bother me in the slightest now, but strictly from a quality standpoint this would probably be a better look.

I would also likely elect to use a much darker stain.  The current stain is nice but it is too similar in color to the maple neck. I'm glad I ordered black/cream accents since they will help break up the monotony of 'plain wood'.

I would also like to experiment with mixing in oil paints and using the 'cardboard bursting' method I've seen referenced here. I think artist's oil paints make for some really cool color possibilities, and I think the cardboard bursting is a very practical method to achieve a 'more difficult' finish.

I'll keep you guys posted - thanks for the interest and support!

That came out good. Very nice looking finish. It'll be nice to see it completed.

That wipe on poly looks real nice. Satin does a great job of hiding things in plain sight. Nice job! :icon_thumright:

BigSteve22 said:
That wipe on poly looks real nice. Satin does a great job of hiding things in plain sight. Nice job! :icon_thumright:

Thank you sir. I was torn because a do like the appeal and reflection of a high-gloss, but I felt that wouldn't necessarily be the right thing for this guitar. I do like the subtle sheen and mild reflective shine on the satin. I suppose it is also nice to have a little protection but not too much so the guitar will still get beaten up a bit.

Regardless of how many coats of finish you apply, and how glossy it gets, kudos to you.  It's like buying a house, ripping up the carpet, and finding quartersawn oak floors underneath it.  Even if they are a bit scratched up, wow, what a find!  I'm ever so curious to see the entire guitar once you have it all reassembled.  It looks fantastic.  I kinda like the scratches on the back.  It says it's been rescued and resuscitated.  I also like the fact you left the inside of the tremolo rout that salmon color.  Reminds you of where it's been.

ghotiphry said:
Regardless of how many coats of finish you apply, and how glossy it gets, kudos to you.  It's like buying a house, ripping up the carpet, and finding quartersawn oak floors underneath it.  Even if they are a bit scratched up, wow, what a find!  I'm ever so curious to see the entire guitar once you have it all reassembled.  It looks fantastic.  I kinda like the scratches on the back.  It says it's been rescued and resuscitated.  I also like the fact you left the inside of the tremolo rout that salmon color.  Reminds you of where it's been.

Thank you sir, yes I felt the same way about it. The story of how I got it is even better, but it would probably make some people jealous!

The tracking # Warmoth sent me says everything should be here tomorrow morning. I may actually post a comparison picture of white v. black to get some opinions before finally setting everything back up.

Yeah - believe it or not, it looks like the finish the previous owner applied probably would've been good if he just applied it consistently and left it alone. Instead he did... things to it.

Actually couldn't resist. Here is a mock up with the current plastics. I'll do another shot tomorrow with black guard and cream covers/knobs

JgVLn77.jpg

QlHisUh.jpg

Boy, what an improvement. That looks quite good with the white and black. I look forward to seeing the black and cream. Outstanding transformation.

Rgand said:
Boy, what an improvement. That looks quite good with the white and black. I look forward to seeing the black and cream. Outstanding transformation.

Yeah - I don't dislike the white/black combo. I thought for sure it would be too much for the natural finish+maple neck but it actually looks decent. I think I will wait for the new guard to make a final decision.

BigSteve22 said:
Looks WAY cool that way, wait'n to see the black!

Thank you sir!

Here is a rough preview with the original pickguard and electronics I inherited.

vX4k6VT.jpg

BTW - Anyone interested in this abomination pickguard? Seymour Duncan Hot Rail, Mexican Strat Single, and a GFS Hot Rail clone. If someone is willing to pay shipping you can have it.

Back