I'm in Japan

!!!!! that's cool! You have to hit one of those cool music stores that they have in those high-rise apartment stores. They are so awesome...

To save your wallet, stay out of any music stores.

Chill out in the evenings listening to Made in Japan, by Deep Purple and Scorpions Tokyo Tapes and other live albums recorded in Japan.

Japan is somewhere I have not been, so that is all I have. Enjoy your stay :)

There’s a, or at least used to be a guitar street, sort of like where mannys used to be in nyc. Use google and if it still exists go there. Head to Tokyo tower first to get a view of the city and see mt Fuji in the distance, if you’re lucky.The place is big. Eat yakitori, go to a hormone restaurant, that’s grilled offal, see temples, hit an onsen or two. There used to be an onsen in a skyscraper in Tokyo, I forget where. Head down to kamakura and see the Buddha. Enjoy.

Last edited:
When I was there, my Japanese guide took me to the Hard Rock Cafe. I recommend not going there unless you like crowds dominated by "ugly Americans" yelling and cheering "USA, USA, USA". At least that's the way it was the night I was there in the 1980s.

I loled at some of the messages 😂

So, after some consideration, I'll not visit the Ibanez / FujiGen factory in Nagano because it would have overthrown all Mount Fuji plans and my wife was less than amused about me bringing it up. But I'll hit Ochanomizu (Tokyo's super famous guitar street) next week. Will send pictures! Other than that I'll definitely follow Rick's advice (thanks!) and most certainly not do what triple jim did lol

I never got to the beach in kamakura, I would like to have gone. Walked thru the town and ate, octopus. They put it in sort of paninini press and you eat it like a cracker. the japanese people are really nice. You're going to have great time. Definitely, hit an onsen or two. When you bring your cloth with you, keep it on your head, or on the side of the tub, don't let it dunk in the bathwater. (Cause the towel has your sweat on it.)
Take lot's of pictures! (Not of the onsen! For the love of god don't take any pictures in there, they will toss you out!)

Look up Mr. Mullins, former UW forumite and super nice dude. Long-timers here might remember him as a regular contributor. He used to go by @mullyman IIRC. He lives just south of Tokyo.

Anyway, tell him we miss him.

Other than that, if I were in Tokyo for the first time I would seek out some of those epic guitar stores I've heard so much about.

bro the one time i was in japan i mixed up the words yakuza and jacuzzi and wound up in some real hot water with the Japanese mafia lol

nah, that's just a really old joke I heard once. I never been to japan. my 90s travels took me many places but never there. would love to check out those quirky vending machines tho. I did once make it as far as India in the early aughts (fancy word meaning years 2001-2004). one time my then-gf was rifling through my suitcase and asked "why did you bring rope?" but when i explained it was in case of a hotel fire she said "thats fine, you don’t have to tell me if you don’t want to" so I think she thinks it’s for adult bedroom times. luckily when the hotel did catch on fire the stairs were safe, but I still got to the ground much faster than everyone else rofl

Some really awesome tips everyone. I'm in Okinawa at the beach right now but already scheduled a guitar-day for Tuesday or Wednesday. Will post a whole summary including pictures here, can't wait 🤘

If you happen to see a shop in Naha that sells saimisen get one. Love the music from Okinawa.
let us bloom flowers in our heart.

this one is about fireflies having a drink.

Last edited:
Back