Ideas for Ebayed Star body project.

JamesL

I am sincerely sorry for what I've done... I just stolen your Ebay star body....
:( *Ashamed*
But I assure you it's going to good use.
It was just too good to pass up for my poorness.. :evil4:

http://cgi.ebay.com/WARMOTH-STAR-MAHOGANY-BODY-FLOYD-ROSE-CUSTOM_W0QQitemZ190242326045QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item190242326045&_trkparms=72%3A1076

63b0_12.jpg

5593_12.jpg

b01d_12.jpg

:toothy12:

I'm glad you got it.  I wasn't going to buy it, anyway.  Too much work for me to turn it into what I wanted.  I think it will make a killer build.

You OWE us pics when you're done, though...you know that.

Congrats, good score! 

Thank you my friend...

Now I'm just torn on what to do for the neck......

Solid Rosewood Jackson?

hmmmm..

That is a thought.  I was thinking Jackson neck myself.  Then again, there's always this:  http://www.warmoth.com/showcase/sc_guitar_necks.cfm?type=guitar&itemNumber=MN949&menuItem=10&subMenuItem=5&subMenuItem2=0

Ehhh, Just not for me....

I was thinking a solid Rosewood Rev. Jackson neck with a black peghead to match the hardware...

But will rosewood look okay with that mahogany?

JamesL said:
Ehhh, Just not for me....

I was thinking a solid Rosewood Rev. Jackson neck with a black peghead to match the hardware...

But will rosewood look okay with that mahogany?
Sounds like a cool build there James, I think a rev jackson all rosewood would be killer. But I'd be more apt to leave the face of the headstock the natural rosewood. I think that would look mo" betta with the mahogany.....But that' just my .02.. :dontknow:

You're not gonna paint it?  That bodystyle doesn't exactly scream natural wood tone to me.  Do up some metallic orange!  :guitaristgif:

Mr Real Nice said:
You're not gonna paint it?  That bodystyle doesn't exactly scream natural wood tone to me.  Do up some metallic orange!  :guitaristgif:
Ehhh, maybe not but it's allready got a finish on it. Why jack with it?    "If it ain't broke, don't  fix it".... :icon_thumright:

DangerousR6 said:
  "If it ain't broke, don't  fix it".... :icon_thumright:

I hear that... It's just becoming a new tour guitar for me, So I'm not too worried about how it looks just as long as it plays well..

I would love to see it a different color, but that's okay.

It's just gonna get scared up anyhow.

Jackson headstock, but right, not reversed  :icon_biggrin:

Don't know why, the Star model is a little strange to me, I like the Dean ML!

DangerousR6 said:
Mr Real Nice said:
You're not gonna paint it?  That bodystyle doesn't exactly scream natural wood tone to me.  Do up some metallic orange!  :guitaristgif:
Ehhh, maybe not but it's allready got a finish on it. Why jack with it?    "If it ain't broke, don't  fix it".... :icon_thumright:

You both hit on exactly why I didn't jump on this body, although I was thinking something a bit different than metallic orange.   :icon_biggrin:

I think a Jackson headstock, reversed or not, would look great on that.  I don't think I'd use rosewood, however.  As Gary eluded to, that would be a very neck-heavy build.  I think a mahogany Jackson style neck would go great with that.  Maybe an ebony fretboard.

Do you guys really think rosewood would make the star body neck heavy?

I think with a mahogany body that big it would be balanced, But that's just my thought.

I would love to hear what everyone thinks.

My ol' and dangerous friend GoDrex will tell you that it probably will be neck-heavy... I might add that I agree that the design is not favorable to stay "still", but I believe the Mahogany will add some weighs that might help it to hold in position quietly...

I think Doc is probably right, mostly for the fact that there's not alot of body mass. Although I don't know if rosewood  would be any heavier  than mahogany. In respect to the lower body mass, my mahogany neck with all the trimmings on it, is quite heavy on my cherry tele body, and it's a semi hollow body....

Does anyone know the average weight of a Rosewood neck?

And do the locking floyd nuts work with all radius's?

I don't think they do, I believe 14 is the flattest one they make.

In the showcase the rosewoods bodies use to weight something between 7 and 8 lb and Mahogany 4 and 5 lb...
Don't know how much this would make it make the guitar neck-heavy, but as it's a tendency of this particular body, I would try something lighter than mahogany, but wenge looks heavier too...
I would try... Put some lead on the control cavity if it's neck heavy  :icon_biggrin:

Back