Ideas for Ebayed Star body project.

I have no idea how that will work out but mine was a drag to play standing up. My guitar is a basswood body with a rather thin maple and rosewood neck. The thing is the body is not all that big. It's kind of small actually. The body must weigh 3 lbs or even less - I wish I had a good way to weigh it. The problem is that there's no wood out over the neck to balance the thing with a strap. One thing I never tried which I probably should have, was to put one of the strap pegs on the neck plate - probably by drilling a hole in it. I don't know if it would have mattered though. But it's too late for that now anyway - I took it all apart to get the pickups.

NonsenseTele said:
Put some lead on the control cavity if it's neck heavy  :icon_biggrin:

hehehe as if we've just got piles of lead hanging around. Anyway the control cavity on that body is pretty small. You just have enough room for the pots.

JamesL said:
Does anyone know the average weight of a Rosewood neck?

And do the locking floyd nuts work with all radius's?
Not sure about the neck weight, but there seems to be no issues with warmoth neck radius and floyd's.. Warmoth's are 10-16" and Jackson uses like 12" I believe, and I have both with no problems at all. I believe I read somewhere that the Original Floyds were for a 10" radius, and that the Schaller's are a 14" radius...

Well I know the bride comes with a nut. But If it would be better I'll order a separate nut.

I'm ordering a super custom neck.
Unsure about the wood yet, but

5/8 nut width
Wizard shape
6100 SS frets
Floyd nut
and a strait 16 radius.

JamesL said:
Well I know the bride comes with a nut. But If it would be better I'll order a separate nut.

I'm ordering a super custom neck.
Unsure about the wood yet, but

5/8 nut width
Wizard shape
6100 SS frets
Floyd nut
and a strait 16 radius.

Damn dude, you gonna be playing slide guitar......Why a straight 16" radius? :icon_scratch:
And I think if you order a bridge from warmoth you can get the nut of your choice. For a 5/8 nut width that would be an R2 nut...

Oddly, I have a compound radius strat neck, but I also have a custom shop Tele with a 16 in radius, it just feels more.... 'Right' to me.

There is no need for a separate nut.  All Floyd nuts are the same.  They work fine on W's compound.  Jackson USA necks have a 12 - 16" compound radius. 

I personally love the compound on W's necks.  Never bottom out on bends in the lower registers, and pretty easy to wail above the 12th fret.

My RW neck is pretty heavy, a bit heavier than comparable maple necks. But its way cool.
Maybe use a 24 /34 scale and a lighter, shorter headstock like a V head instead of adding lead to the control cavities? Just a thought in a different direction.

DocNrock said:
There is no need for a separate nut.  All Floyd nuts are the same.  They work fine on W's compound.  Jackson USA necks have a 12 - 16" compound radius. 

I personally love the compound on W's necks.  Never bottom out on bends in the lower registers, and pretty easy to wail above the 12th fret.
Oh contrier, mon-frier....All floyd nuts are not created equal....There aer 2 different 1 11/16" nuts, a narrow (R3), and a wide(R4).... :icon_biggrin:

tfarny said:
My RW neck is pretty heavy, a bit heavier than comparable maple necks. But its way cool.
Maybe use a 24 /34 scale and a lighter, shorter headstock like a V head instead of adding lead to the control cavities? Just a thought in a different direction.
Not sure that a 24 3/4 scale neck would work if the bridge is allready cut for a 25 1/2 scale, would it? :icon_scratch:

DangerousR6 said:
Not sure that a 24 3/4 scale neck would work if the bridge is allready cut for a 25 1/2 scale, would it? :icon_scratch:

That's exactly what the convertion neck does... No problem, if you ask for a body and a convertion neck the body will come equal if you have asked 25 1/2"

It would work just fine, that's the whole point of conversion necks - you can get gibson scale on any kind of body. All warmoth guitar parts fit all other parts wrt scale length, EXCEPT Mustang (24") necks / bodies, 7-string (25") parts, and baritone parts.

tfarny said:
It would work just fine, that's the whole point of conversion necks - you can get gibson scale on any kind of body. All warmoth guitar parts fit all other parts wrt scale length, EXCEPT Mustang (24") necks / bodies, 7-string (25") parts, and baritone parts.
Ahhhhhh, cool I didn't realize that..... :icon_thumright:

DangerousR6 said:
tfarny said:

Yeah, and R2-R5 does not equate to radius, doood!  (aka, smartass)  :toothy12:

DocNrock said:
DangerousR6 said:
tfarny said:

Yeah, and R2-R5 does not equate to radius, doood!  (aka, smartass)  :toothy12:
:laughing11:, yes, yes,yes I know ..... :laughing8:

Well since I'm not putting active pickups in...

http://www.wdmusic.com/humbucker_distortion_closed_29730_prd1.htm

I think these are a nice touch.  :toothy11:

JamesL said:
Well since I'm not putting active pickups in...

http://www.wdmusic.com/humbucker_distortion_closed_29730_prd1.htm

I think these are a nice touch.  :toothy11:

I don't know anything about those pickups, but since you have a battery box, consider an EMG PA-2.  It is an onboard preamp that can make use of your battery box.

Back