I need some Demo Song Suggestions

taez555

I'm currently working on making a youtube video of my Demeter Silent Speaker Cabinet  (for some reason I seem to be the only person on the internet to own one).  :)  It's a great tool for recording, and I thought I might help the world and actually make a demo of it.

Anyway...

I'm in need of some song suggestions, 15-30 second song tidbits from songs to play.  Clean tones, mild overdrive stuff, heavier things...  Chords, riffs, leads, etc...  I was thinking maybe 10 or so snippets that I can play that the run the gamut of musical styles to show how the thing sounds.

My only amp currently is a 5150 head.  I have my Warmoth, Ibanez Jem, Washburn N4 and Fender Strat for guitars.  For Pedals I have an OCD, DS-1, Tube Screamer, Xotic RC, RMC3 Wah, Boss DD-7 Delay, Dr. Scientist RRR.

So I'm throwing it out there....  If you were looking to get a guitar recording cabinet, what sorts of things would you want to hear played? 

thanks in advance.

taez555 said:
I'm currently working on making a youtube video of my Demeter Silent Speaker Cabinet  (for some reason I seem to be the only person on the internet to own one).   :)  It's a great tool for recording, and I thought I might help the world and actually make a demo of it.

Anyway...

I'm in need of some song suggestions, 15-30 second song tidbits from songs to play.  Clean tones, mild overdrive stuff, heavier things...  Chords, riffs, leads, etc...  I was thinking maybe 10 or so snippets that I can play that the run the gamut of musical styles to show how the thing sounds.

My only amp currently is a 5150 head.  I have my Warmoth, Ibanez Jem, Washburn N4 and Fender Strat for guitars.  For Pedals I have an OCD, DS-1, Tube Screamer, Xotic RC, RMC3 Wah, Boss DD-7 Delay, Dr. Scientist RRR.

So I'm throwing it out there....  If you were looking to get a guitar recording cabinet, what sorts of things would you want to hear played?   

thanks in advance.

I'd be looking for:

1 - a chimey clean sound
2 - an overdrive sound that cleaned up when you backed off with your right hand
3 - a balls to the wall chunk grind to make sure that cab didn't flab-out.

Open-back 2x12 clean tones (light and airy)
Closed-back 4x12 crunch tones (tight and nasty!)

AndyG said:

Considering the Demeter is an isolation chamber with a 1x12 built in, that may be a bit tricky. :)

What speaker you got in there?

I've always considered the iso cab for my own recording needs but never jumped on it.

I think the biggest (and therefore "main") test would be to crank the amp (assuming the speaker has enough rating to handle the watts) sans pedals and check out how well the tone "breathes".

taez555 said:
AndyG said:

Considering the Demeter is an isolation chamber with a 1x12 built in, that may be a bit tricky. :)

Perhaps, but those are my favorite cabinet=tone combos ....  :headbang:
Whenever I record electric guitars, I like to use at least 2 mics on the cab .... a condensor dead center, and a dynamic off-center, and blend the 2 to one track.  I'll sometimes add a room mic on another track.
When I'm recording at home, I go 100% virtual, using Native Instrument's Guitar Rig software/hardware.

Superlizard said:
What speaker you got in there?

I've always considered the iso cab for my own recording needs but never jumped on it.

I think the biggest (and therefore "main") test would be to crank the amp (assuming the speaker has enough rating to handle the watts) sans pedals and check out how well the tone "breathes".

It has an 80 watt Eminence (Demeter doesn't specify which one, although it sounds pretty damn good)

As for cranking it and hearing it "breathe", I'll tell you flat out it, it does not breathe at all at high volumes, and anything competely cranked will  sound boomy and/or overload the microphone.  You're talking a one foot square confined space with sound proof foam.    The laws of physics are going to fight you.  

Having said that, it does sound really good, and even amazing for some applications.  It's simply a matter of rethinking and adjusting your tone based on the limitations of cabinet.   You have to listen to how it sounds through the microphone and the monitors, and adjust accordingly.  

It's not perfect, but it's a very real and, in my opinion, much better alternative to things like the POD or DI's.

Which of course is why I want to make a demo, to show what it CAN do. :)  

for heavy, play the main riff to creeping death. for clean play dust in the wind. thank god EVERYONE ELSE IS ON TOPIC  :icon_jokercolor:

smavridis said:
for heavy, play the main riff to creeping death. for clean play dust in the wind. thank god EVERYONE ELSE IS ON TOPIC  :icon_jokercolor:

Good call on Creeping Death.  But Dust in the Wind?  How about a little Hotel California, or if you're up to it, Castles Made of Sand  :help:...

I suggest anything with sustained open chorts at different levels of gain - clean, crunch, "hard rock" JCM 800 level and modern high gain.  Couple of leads are nice but you should really focus on chords.  It's a major pain in the ass looking for amp / speaker reference clips on the web.  It's always just a bunch of idiots soloing away which I find totally useless.  IMO lead sounds aren't really reflective of what an amp can do - other than how much gain it can put out.  What I want to hear is the texture of the amp / cab, which means how the harmonic envelope / feedback develops on chords at various gain settings.  Also, it's got the have a good chug!

As for suggestions... some van halen is always good.  The main Panama riff comes to mind.  Little wing is also great to show the dynamic range on the clear to crunch front.

elgravos said:
I suggest anything with sustained open chorts at different levels of gain - clean, crunch, "hard rock" JCM 800 level and modern high gain.  Couple of leads are nice but you should really focus on chords.  It's a major pain in the ass looking for amp / speaker reference clips on the web.  It's always just a bunch of idiots soloing away which I find totally useless.  IMO lead sounds aren't really reflective of what an amp can do - other than how much gain it can put out.  What I want to hear is the texture of the amp / cab, which means how the harmonic envelope / feedback develops on chords at various gain settings.  Also, it's got the have a good chug!

As for suggestions... some van halen is always good.  The main Panama riff comes to mind.  Little wing is also great to show the dynamic range on the clear to crunch front.

+1 to everything this man says, his words are wise. Except about van halen, urgh - but that's just taste  :icon_tongue:

It's funny you mention both Panama and Little Wing, both those songs are on my list of songs I'm thinking about doing.  I like the Metallica idea.  Also been considering some old Aerosmith.

Interesting about the thougths of no, or very little, lead stuff.  I have the same thought process as well.  It's basically just masterbation.  I'm just not sure what to play if I do.  I'm not the flashiest player, but want something melodic that sings, and I really have no ideas.  :) 

Back